cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection drops, but bt_test_user brings it back to life

IanD
Grafter

Anyone else having a similar problem to the one I've had twice this week?

Everything works fine, then speed seems to tail off until I've had enough and reboot router. I then can't connect at all and have to dig out modem cable to start fault checker.

Run through the steps until I reach the bt_test_user@plusdsl.net login. At this point I get on to http://193.113.211.125/digitaldemo and when I reset my router to my plusnet login details, all is well.

It seems that the BT test kick starts my broadband connection again. My guess is a problem at the exchange, but the broadband checker reports no faults. I've asked plusnet to contact BT to carry out further checks, but won't hold my breath.

Any ideas as to what may be happening or has anyone else got a similar problem?
9 REPLIES
N/A

I find that if I use the BT test number 17070 and select option 2, which is the quiet line test this also bring my connection back. Or if I notice that the SNR is low then using the test number will bring it back up.
IanD
Grafter

Thanks - I'll try that next time. Not too happy with PlusNet wanting to close my ticket without checking anything now that I'm back online. There is a fault that I want them to remedy.

Both times I'd been downloading a torrent earlier, but nothing more than about 30Mb. Happened both at peak and off peak times.
Community Veteran

In a similar way I find the quiet line test will bring my sync speed up to normal when it has dropped right down.
Plusnet user since November 2003
Currently on Unlimited Fibre Extra and Unlimited UK & Mobile Calls
IanD
Grafter

Good to hear that there is a simple way of getting things back to normal. Cheesy

Didn't appreciate having to spend a bit of time getting online by modem and going through the steps until I reached the BT test.
IanD
Grafter

Tried line test and it worked once, but next time (a few minutes later) it didn't make any difference.

Most reliable method for me is the bt_test_user@plusdsl.net login.

Not very happy at PlusNet saying it's not a fault they will investigate as I have managed to get back online using this method. I had thought they were trying to improve customer service again.

Still, at least I can get back online easily.
N/A

I have a similar problem.

Ever since maxDLS many months ago (which could be a coincidence of course) sometimes I cannot get an IP even though the line syncs.

Same problems today. After multiple retries I finally got connected, but it dropped out (just) and I had to do the continually reconnect to get it back.

How do you tell whether this is your modem or PN or BT or .... wihtout access to another modem, ISP, computer, telecom provider etc
N/A

I find that if I use the BT test number 17070 and select option 2, which is the quiet line test this also bring my connection back. Or if I notice that the SNR is low then using the test number will bring it back up.

That is very interesting. For months now (long time before I got 8Mbps back in April/May) I've found randomly and very intermittently that my router (I've tried more than 1) won't always connect to PlusNet.

It'll get Sync fine. My line stats are very very good (I'm less than 250m line length from the exchange!), but it'll not connect to PN.

Sometimes I can put in a rubbish username and password, and the internet link light will turn red (telling me I've got the login details wrong). Put the PN ones back in, and it won't connect. Seems to suggest there's a problem somewhere, either exchange or PN.

PN wrongly reported this as a "no sync" issue to BT a few months back, after a lot of ticket tennis, and that resulted in the target SNR and interleaving being changed (totally pointless, it wasn't the issue, and didn't solve it).

But, just a few moments ago I has to switch my router back on, as we'd had to turn the power off for a power socket replacement elsewhere in the house. The router came back on, the sync light came on, but the router wouldn't connect to PN. So remembering that I'd just read this topic I tried that 17070 and option 2, and would you believe it my router instantly connected to PN...
aeroalfie
Grafter

I rarely connect first time now - sync will be ok then my connection says verifying user name and password then it kind of hangs for a bit then says some thing along the lines of “remote computer didn’t respond“ - it will cycle through this process multiple times until it connects.

Reminds me of dial-up days. :?
IanD
Grafter

Just changed my router to the 213.162.97.65 and 213.162.97.66 as suggested on the help and support pages. Seems to be helping as at least I can now connect.

This has been going on for a few weeks - always the same story about DNS servers. Evil

Why can't PlusNet just sort out the problems, especially when they know what they are and have sone for quite a period of time?