cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection drop-outs

N/A

Connection drop-outs

Hi people.
Since being moved to MaxADSL my connection is very flaky. I seem to lose connection approximately once per hour ( although I can connect again after a few minutes). My connection speed also seems to vary a great deal which may or may not be related.

Much appreciated if anyone can help me with this.
cheers.
2 REPLIES
N/A

Connection drop-outs

hi m8

i have a very similar problem
have a look at my post of "please please help me"

it my be interesting to compare some of the router logs and line noise levels

System Up Time 02:16:26
Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
WAN PPPoA 57353 76186 0 1177 6403 02:14:57
LAN 10M/100M 43149 38909 0 3255 1013 02:16:24
WLAN 11M/54M 51405 35732 0 4137 533 02:16:22

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 3734 kbps 619 kbps
Line Attenuation 45.0 db 21.8 db Noise Margin 7.9 db 13.0 db <--- this may be a problem with mines?

best wishes
john
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Connection drop-outs

Hi,

Does the router/modem lose sync when the connection drops? If so then it's possible that there's either something on the line that's causing enough interference to cause the drop (e.g. faulty filter, unfiltered device or incorrect wiring), whatever it is may not have been enough to cause a noticeable problem before Max, but as Max operates on the limits it now causes the connection to drop.

Take a look through:

http://usertools.plus.net/tutorials/id/13

to see if anything there helps. Also make sure there's nothing that could be causing interference, e.g. Christmas lights or security lights, or if the drops coincide with something, e.g. central heating or street lights switching on or off.

If not, then it might be that the line is either sync'ing at too high a rate, if it's within the first 10 days or so then this is normal behavior and it should sort itself, if it's been longer than that then raise it via the broadband faults checker at:

http://faults.plus.net

answer all the questions as this will tell the automated system what sort of fault it is and it can run some remote testing and then the faults guys can either get in touch with you or raise it with BT.