cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection & Win XP

N/A

Connection & Win XP

Has anyone had problems connecting after running XP critical updates. Here are my symptoms. I've raised a support ticket so we'll see what PN have to say :-
System will not authenticate on 0808 or 0845 AFTER Windows XP critical updates have been installed.

Newly installed XP system.
USR 56k PCI Voice modem

Attempt to dial in after xp critical updates - dials in, checks user name etc, disconnects with either UNABLE TO CONNECT or WRONG USER NAME / PASSWORD. Use System Restore to remove XP critical updates, reboot and system dials in fine. Is this a known problem? HELP PLEASE!!!!!!
9 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Connection & Win XP

> Has anyone had problems connecting after running XP critical updates. Here are my symptoms. I've raised a support ticket so we'll see what PN have to say :-
> System will not authenticate on 0808 or 0845 AFTER Windows XP critical updates have been installed.
>
> Newly installed XP system.
> USR 56k PCI Voice modem
>
> Attempt to dial in after xp critical updates - dials in, checks user name etc, disconnects with either UNABLE TO CONNECT or WRONG USER NAME / PASSWORD. Use System Restore to remove XP critical updates, reboot and system dials in fine. Is this a known problem? HELP PLEASE!!!!!!

Hello Tony,

I am aware of a couple of customers who have had this problem and it does seem exclusive to Windows XP. My advice would be to take a look at http://support.microsoft.com to see if there is a known fix.

Regards,
Robert

| Robert Kelly........................Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Customer Support...........................for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd...............http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet ----------

N/A

Hi
Thanks for that, shame you haven't replied to my support ticket though!
If other clients are experiencing this, would it not be good customer service to find the solution and put this in your WONDERFUL solution wizard instead of pushing the problem away, letting people try for hours to solve it themselves. Granted its a not technically a PlusNet problem, but since PN are in the spirit of total customer satisfaction - what do you think eh?!?!?!?!?
N/A

Hi,
Thanks for the feedback. We are always looking for ways to improve our portals and support pages. I will raise this as a sugguestion with our Developers.

Thanks
Chris
--
| Chris Rugen ............................... Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Senior Technical Consultant ................... for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd .......................... http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet ----------
N/A

Tis problem is not specific to XP I run Windows 2000 and have also reported it in October last year but at the time thought it was the modem, see ticket 2673810. My error affects differs somewhat in that I get error 777 unable to connect to remote computer.

Like the other user have pinned it down to crical updates and also "maybe" symantec live update as well.

I have worked out an easy fix. Just change the tel number to dial by adding a 1 at the end. In essence it changes the number as far as Win2000 is concerned but still dials the correct number as far as BT is concerned with an extra 1 on the end. When it goes wrong again I just change it back to the "proper" number.

I am doing this I reckon at least once a week and wasted a lot of time getting round to this solution.

Have looked around MS support site but found nothing on this.

My problem is not identical but has a very similar ring to it. Strongly suggest to anyone with a similar just tries altering the number.

be interested to hear how anyone gets on with this.
N/A

Hi, I have this same problem it also existed on Windows 2000. I find, when it does this I re-insert my password and all is fine. I find I have this problem about once every 2 weeks.
Hope this helps.
Regards Tolly
N/A

Dear PN
After your pearl of wisdom to check the MS support site, after having spent nearly 2 days checking EVERY possible keyword combination i've found NOTHING.

Any other pearls of wisdom to offer, any solutions maybe?
N/A

Dear Tony,

Sounds like the patch has a few little bugs. I would suggest resetting up your dial up networking and see if this fixes the problem. As was kindly suggested by our users.

If the problem still persists. Make sure you have a good firewall and virus checker install and don't run the updates. Soon I expect BT to patch their patch and all will be well.

Kind regards

Kevin

--
| Kevin Revill ............... Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Customer Support .................. for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd. ....... @ http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet -----
N/A

See earlier comment I left re this problem but also share this with you all.

After posting message last night one thing that did occur to me is why it started with Plusnet. I have used another ISP (just the one) for 5 years and never had the problem so why now? To the extent that when I tried the other ISP to whom I still pay money too as well I did not have the problem, odd eh.

Don't know the answer, don't see its a PlusNet problem as such because the fix, if you can call it a fix is in Win200. I will do some tweaks here and there and see if I can force it to go wrong as one thing I did not try was dialing rules, its turned off for the Plusnet DUN and I think the other one it is turned on.

Whatever it is a pain in the neck!

N/A

Hi
I have just brought a new laptop with XP on it and I am having the same problem, however I set up a pay as you go account with Vigin and it worked ok. So I tried a pay as you go with F9 and I had the problem. So it seems to be an XP, hotfixes 2 and Plusnet/F9 problem.

Support could you please raise this as an issue
> See earlier comment I left re this problem but also share this with you all.
>
> After posting message last night one thing that did occur to me is why it started with Plusnet. I have used another ISP (just the one) for 5 years and never had the problem so why now? To the extent that when I tried the other ISP to whom I still pay money too as well I did not have the problem, odd eh.
>
> Don't know the answer, don't see its a PlusNet problem as such because the fix, if you can call it a fix is in Win200. I will do some tweaks here and there and see if I can force it to go wrong as one thing I did not try was dialing rules, its turned off for the Plusnet DUN and I think the other one it is turned on.
>
> Whatever it is a pain in the neck!
>
>