cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection Speed?

N/A

Connection Speed?

Hey everyone,

My ADSL was activated yesterday (yay!). I'm on a BB+ Service (up to 2mb), but the service is only connecting at 1.1mbps.

Is this down to BT or PlusNet? I'm well within the range limit for 2mbps (my friend who lives literally 50m away from me can get 2.2mbps). I know that there are more factors to consider, but what can I do to set the ball rolling and find out what the problem is?

-Paul
19 REPLIES
N/A

Connection Speed?

Hi unit 84,

Try raising a Contact Us ticket, outlining your query.
Ben_Brown
Grafter

Connection Speed?

Welcome to PlusNet and the forums!

If the modem is syncing at 1MB then this will be the speed your line has been set at by BT.

This will be because this is the fastest speed BT have determined that your line can support.

If your modem or router gives you line statistics we might be able to see why this is.

Hope that helps!
N/A

Connection Speed?

OK, I'll have a look on the router tonight and see if I can get some stats.

Will update later Smiley

-Paul
N/A

Connection Speed?

Right, after some quick checks it appears that my router doesn't give line stats. It's a D-Link DSL-504T Router.

Is there any other way to get hold of these?

-Paul
Community Veteran

Connection Speed?

Ask PlusNet to perform a woosh test (and ask for the one that gives SNR as well as line attenuation). However, unless you have a fault or are invetigating a problem, they may not be willing to do it.
N/A

Connection Speed?

Success!

Just updated the firmware on my router, and got the following stats...

DSL Status
Connection Status Connected
Upstream Rate (Kbps) 288
Downstream Rate (Kbps) 1152
US Margin 31
DS Margin 31
Modulation MMODE
LOS Errors 0
DS Line Attenuation 41
US Line Attenuation 47
Path Mode Fast Path

What does this mean? :roll:
Community Veteran

Connection Speed?

A Downstream line attenuation of 41dB is just within the 2Mbs limit of 43dB so you should be able to get 2Mbs. Your downstream margin (SNR) of 31dB is also surprisingly good as well.
N/A

Connection Speed?

Who should I contact to get the speed sorted out then? Raise a support ticket?

-Paul
Community Veteran

Connection Speed?

It should happen automatically as part of the free speed upgrade. This will either happen before the end of this month or if you have joined in the past 6 months, in a 'mop-up' exercise due to occur in Nov.

However, if the BT exchange checker only says you can get the speed you are currently on then you won't get anything higher as BT won't increase the speed because of the checker.

Also BT can reject a speed upgrade at any time for any reason. Even though you are below the 2Mbs threashold, line noise may not allow it.

Raising a ticket will not get you a speed upgrade as it is BT who are doing it.
N/A

Connection Speed?

Results from BT Exchange Checker:

For Telephone Number xxxxxx on Exchange SHEFFIELD

Your exchange has ADSL broadband.

Our initial test on your line indicates that you should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides 2Mbps, 1Mbps, 512Kbps or 256Kbps download speed.

So does this mean I should just twiddle my thumbs until my speed is upgraded? My BB was activated only yesterday, I would have though I'd get 2mbps from the outset, seeing as that is what was advertised (providing my line can support it of course, which according to those stats it should do).

-Paul
Community Veteran

Connection Speed?

By activated, do you mean a new ADSL connection or did you migrate in from another ISP.

If a new activation, raise a ticket and get PN to investigate why you are only on 1Mbs.

If a migration in, you will have migrated in at the same speed you were on your old ISP and you should get your speed upgrade in Nov's 'mop-up', again, subject to BT accepting your line can support a higher speed.
N/A

Connection Speed?

New ADSL Connection.

I'll go raise a ticket now referencing this thread and my results etc.

Many thanks for the help,

-Paul
Community Veteran

Connection Speed?

Right, after some quick checks it appears that my router doesn't give line stats. It's a D-Link DSL-504T Router.

Is there any other way to get hold of these?

-Paul

It does but they are not all that easy to find. Unfortunately I dont have a 504T to hand but if you look through the options in the menu's you should find it.

I am visiting a customer tomorrow who uses a 504T so if I get chance I'll try and refresh my memory on just where you need to go to find the line stats.
N/A

Connection Speed?

It does but they are not all that easy to find. Unfortunately I dont have a 504T to hand but if you look through the options in the menu's you should find it.

I am visiting a customer tomorrow who uses a 504T so if I get chance I'll try and refresh my memory on just where you need to go to find the line stats.

It's OK, I found it....scrolly uppy Smiley

-Paul