cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection Speed to Exchange

davebrown
Grafter

It was Xmas Eve and the world was good, my UPTO 8 meg connection had been carried out 2 or 3 month ago and my connection was a very solid 8128k every time I turned the router on Cheesy
At 4.00pm (Xmas Eve) my connection dropped a couple of times and my exchange connection speed dropped to below 2 megs, nothing had changed in my premises.

First thing that popped into my head was Xmas Tree Light! Yes that’s it next door or someone close has just switched the tree lights on and I must be getting some HF interference on my telephone line and that’s knocked the connection speed down.

Well the speed did slowly recover…. my best connection speed is now 7264k.
It’s been at that rate for over 2 weeks now but my profile is still sitting at 6000k.

The problem was obviously not Xmas tree light as it’s taken moths to recover to this point, it’s not weather dependent, could just be old telephone line (about 26 years old I think). I live with 800 yard from the telephone exchange.

Anyway the question is if I am connected at 7264k is a 6000k profile reasonable?

Dave
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Quick answer - yes
Slightly longer these are the profiles against synch
Synch Profile
4000K 3½M
4544K 4M
5120K 4½M
5696K 5M
6240K 5½M
6816K 6M
7392K 6½M
7968K 7M
8128K 7.15M
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

When whatever happened to cause the line to drop BT's systems probably detected that the line was unstable and probably applied interleaving on the line and increased your target SNR. The combination of which will have decreased the sync speed to improve the stability. The way that the BT systems work is that if the line remains stable they will decrease the target SNR in time which is likely why you've seen an increase in speed, but the SNR is probably higher now than it was before Christmas hence the difference.
davebrown
Grafter

Quick answer - yes
Slightly longer these are the profiles against synch
Synch Profile
4000K 3½M
4544K 4M
5120K 4½M
5696K 5M
6240K 5½M
6816K 6M
7392K 6½M
7968K 7M
8128K 7.15M

Thanks for the info Jim
davebrown
Grafter

Hi,

When whatever happened to cause the line to drop BT's systems probably detected that the line was unstable and probably applied interleaving on the line and increased your target SNR. The combination of which will have decreased the sync speed to improve the stability. The way that the BT systems work is that if the line remains stable they will decrease the target SNR in time which is likely why you've seen an increase in speed, but the SNR is probably higher now than it was before Christmas hence the difference.

Hi Dave,
Thanks for the reply, I can see the logic in that but is it possible to get interleaving turned off?
As I say the 3 or 4 months before Xmas the connection was rock steady at 8 megs every time.
The router is permanently switch on with the connection at 7264k, I know if I turn it off it will probably connect at a slower speed… is it best to leave it switched on or would it be best to turn it off every month or so?

Regards
Dave
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Yep, on some accounts under I think Connection Settings there's an Interleaving button which if you click it will turn it off (takes 1-2 working days). If it isn't there (which it isn't on some accounts because it's only there if we know what the interleaving status is at BT) then just raise a ticket and we can change it.

If the connection is stable then it probably won't hurt to switch it off and we can always switch it back on if needs be.