Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection Speed Question

Bascule
Grafter

Connection Speed Question

Hi All,

I'm a Broadand Plus customer. I've recently been seeing my USB modem syncing at around 3700 to 4000. I'm guessing that the speeds are not higher because I have a long extention installed from the main box to the skt where the PC is connected.

I beleive that there was a period of 10 days during which my optimum speed was established but I still see different speeds. Does the modem try for the best speed (up to 8 MB) every time it connects?

I plan to install a wireless router at some point (eliminating the long extention in the house) which may give me better speeds. Would I need to contact Plusnet for my line to be re-assessed or should the speeds automatically improve if they can?

Any advice gratefully received.
1 REPLY
Community Veteran

Re: Connection Speed Question

Does the modem try for the best speed (up to 8 MB) every time it connects?

... should the speeds automatically improve if they can?

Afraid, Yes every time it connects it trys to connect at the highest possible speed regardless of the fact it is inevitable for many people later in the day it will become unstable and cause periods of random disconnections. Sad

So as you have guessed, because of this, the speeds will automatically improve if they are going to when you use the wireless router. Smiley

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed