cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection Speed Issue (MAX DSL)

N/A

I am hoping plusnet staff will see this and help fix my BRAS profile!!

I am stuck on 2 meg after upgrading to MAX DSL..... please see my support ticket.

For users reading this thread!! I was on 2meg and then told that I would be upgraded to MAX DSL however this never happened for about 2 months and when I was upgraded I was not made aware of the change.... this means that my router never cynched (power off / re-boot) during the DLMs (BT Wholesale line tool for max DSL) first 10 days... resulting in my BRAS profile (the speed you see as an enduser) set at 2 meg speeds (even allthough my hardware is set at 7meg)

What this means now is that plusnet need to report a fault to broadband assurance (bt wholesale fault dept) indicating that this user has a BRAS profile set at 2meg.

It is this simple!! however due to the voloume of users bt ws have to deal with and also the knowledge of the suppport analyst reporting to bt ws and the agent testing for bt ws 'it could be weeks if not months before bt ws will actually fix the BRAS profile.

I will update my post as events occur.
Updated:13/01/07 with a reply to plusnet response... Please see below thread.
5 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

I've made a change on our side to see if it makes any difference as we haven't had a report to say the speed had increased. Can you see if that makes a difference please (you may need to disconnect and reconnect for the change to take effect). If not can you run the BT Speedtest:

http://portal.plus.net/support/broadband/troubleshooting/bt_speed_tester.shtml

and see what it reports the IP Profile to be.
N/A

Hi,

"I've made a change on our side"

What change have you made?

"we haven't had a report to say the speed had increased"

What exactly do you mean?

(you may need to disconnect and reconnect for the change to take effect)

I have tried twice since my knowing of the upgrade taking effect!!

"If not can you run the BT Speedtest:"

I did! and the results should now be available to broadband assurance at BT WS Diagnostics!!

updated: The following results were obtained from the BT Speed Test......
IP profile for your line is - 6500 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 7616 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 4834 kbps

Has the problem now been resolved?
N/A

Speed Meter

Your current bandwidth reading is: 1.85 Mbps

Still Showing less than it should!!

Edited: IP profile for your line is - 6500 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 7616 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 5772 kbps
N/A

Problem would appear to be resolved!!

http://www.btbroadbandoffice.com/broadband/adhoc_pages/speedtest/speedtest_home.html

the large download shows a download speed of over 5 meg!! so the question has to be !! what changes did plusnet make? and why did I have to complain about it before any action was taken?

http://specials.zdnet.co.uk/misc/band-test/speedtest50.html
Your line speed:

5230.8 Kbps

641 K bytes/sec

it is now working at the speed it should be!! why did this happen? why did I have to complain before the required changes were made? what changes were made?
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

There are several places that record and set the speed of your line. The first is your sync speed, from the sync speed BT calculate the throughput rate. So for example on a line that syncs at 8128kbps the throughput rate is set to 7150kbps.

There's a full table of the values here:

http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/network/dslmax_guide.shtml

What should happen is that everytime the throughput rate changes BT should tell us. The reason being is that we record the throughput rate on our side and set the throughput on your line to that value.

The problem here appears to be that for some reason we haven't received an update from BT to say what your new speed is, so all I did was enter this in manually. Once changed it needs a disconnect and reconnect to take effect.