cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection Problem

N/A

Connection Problem

Hi,
I haven't been on the forums in a while now but felt it was time to try and get an answer to something that is causing me a big problem. For some reason my internet connection has become very slow and I lose connection a few times a day, this has been apparent for around 5 days. I have tried everything I can think of including a brand new router but this did not fix the problem.

My connection prevents me from doing anything as its become very slow. Could someone(if anyone) look into this for me or help me in finding a solution. Thanks

P.S- my connection is also now reporting on the Plusnet site that I should have a 2mb connection when previously the connection was around 4mb as far as my router is concerned. Confused.
17 REPLIES
James
Grafter

Connection Problem

The fact that it is intermittent is probably causing it to be slow. Can you:

- Try changing microfilter
- Try plugging filter directly into test socket
- Try changing modem if possible

Does this help to improve the stability on your connection?
N/A

Connection Problem

Thanks, I have tried this and thought it might be caused from Plusnets end. Maybe I am wrong but I purchased a new router recently and I had spare microfilters I tried along with plugging the connection direct without any luck. I'm a bit confused whats going on as the connection was fine until 5 days ago when everything started slowing up.
James
Grafter

Connection Problem

The problem will be between your router and the exchange itself.

You do still have your old modem/router? Does this offer improved stability?
N/A

Connection Problem

Yes, I tried both routers and seem to get the same results. I also tried a speed test within the Plusnet portal and my speed is reported at around 998.90kbps. Not sure if this means anything. I can't figure out whats causing this. My connection has been stable for the last few hours now but its very very slow.
Community Veteran

Connection Problem

It would be of benefit if you could try http://speedtester.bt.com/ which will give a lot of info about your connection settings and what speed to expect.

Post the results back here.
N/A

Connection Problem

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
IP profile for your line is - 2000 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 4896 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 1654 kbps

If you wish to discuss these results please contact your ISP.

If you are experiencing problems with specific applications, servers or websites please contact your ISP for assistance.

Your test has completed please close this window to exit the performance tester.
N/A

Connection Problem

Above is the results I got from the bt speed test, I have just been looking on my router and notice it keeps disconnecting every few minutes and then reconnecting. This is happening on both routers. Maybe this is a long shot but my guess is that the new router is also faulty with the same problem and where the router keeps disconnecting it doesn't give it chance to build up the speed and that answers why its really slow?
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Connection Problem

Hi,

It shows as 2000kbps on our side too, so in that sense it's all set up correctly and the speedtest result is about right based on this.

The sync rate's a bit higher so I would expect to see the throughput rate increase again in the next few days so long as the line remains stable.
N/A

Connection Problem

hmm, so whats going on then. I presume my connection is fine and its a problem from my end?. I presume my router(s) are broken. I can't see what else is the problem as my connection has never had a problem like this before.
Community Veteran

Connection Problem

Have you tried connecting to the test socket inside the BT master socket and see if it stops disconnecting when plugged in there?
Doing that removes any internal wiring or phones that could be causing a problem.
N/A

Connection Problem

Yes I have tried that with no luck. Not sure what to do now to be honest.
Community Veteran

Connection Problem

I think it's very doubtful that both of your router will be faulty so it looks like you have a line fault that may require BT to investigate.
Next step now is to run the connection check from the Help and support pages and then raise a question (ticket) with support.
N/A

Connection Problem

Hi, I have done what was said above and raised a ticket and supposdly there is no problem with my internet connection, does this now point at my hardware?.As far as the reply is concerned it states that BT or plusnet cannot find a fault.
James
Grafter

Connection Problem

I'm fairly confident that this is a problem at the BT end of things.

Raising now.