cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection Problem

N/A

Connection Problem

Hello,

I keep trying to get on certain websites but it wont let me from my computer that is connected via lan. But if I were to go onto my main computer it would load perfectly, on this it just keeps saying "waiting for .........."

Does anyone know what could be the problem?

PS: It all worked fine on 56k.

Thanks!
8 REPLIES
N/A

Connection Problem

Depends on how your network is set up.
Do you have an ADSL router, which is also acting as your network switch, or do you use a USB modem connected to your main machine, with a seperate network connection for your lan?
If the second option, you need to make sure that internet connection sharing is turned on. (right click on the internet connection in 'network connections' and go to properties, on one of the tabs - I forget the name of the tab, sorry - there is a box which must be checked to allow other computers to connect to the internet through that machine)
N/A

Connection Problem

Thanks for replying.

I'm using an ADSL modem and a seperate network card to connect to this computer, the Internet connection is set to share it and I have the little icon on this computer too.

It shows an Internet gateway on this, if that means anything.

Williams1662
N/A

Connection Problem

Also, I was wondering if anyone knows why my modem is only giving me these speeds as average:

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/tools/speedchart.asp?id=69a7e28c1050b96954a69a7e28c

If I plug in my Router, it gives me full 2mb speeds.
Walrus
Grafter

Connection Problem

Also, I was wondering if anyone knows why my modem is only giving me these speeds as average:

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/tools/speedchart.asp?id=69a7e28c1050b96954a69a7e28c

If I plug in my Router, it gives me full 2mb speeds.

What is your modem, USB or PCI?

If USB, the version of either the device or the hub to which it is connected may affect the speed. USB 1.1 has dual operating speeds of 1.5Mb/s and 12Mb/s whereas USB2.0 adds a speed of 480Mb/s.

More often than not, with USB it is the controller causing the problems, whether due to an old specification motherboard, or bad software drivers.
N/A

Connection Problem

I believe it's in a USB 2.0 port. The back ones on my PC are USB 2.0.
Plus I was getting full speeds for awhile, then the next day they started to go down.
N/A

Connection Problem

I just did that speed test and got 1200Kb/s - which is near half-speed I believe? I'm on the 2meg package
N/A

Connection Problem

I believe it's in a USB 2.0 port. The back ones on my PC are USB 2.0.

Is the modem a USB 2.0 modem though.

USB 2.0 ports will usualy fall back to standard 1.1 speeds, to allow the device to operate.
N/A

Connection Problem

Hmm, it could be my USB, it but worked fine for a day.

I'm getting variable speeds of between 400kbps and 1900kbps.