cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection Drop-Outs

N/A

Connection Drop-Outs

In the evenings my connection always loses sync, but now its happening during the day time to and a lot more often.

A new error has appearing on my router now:

PPP negotiation failed: Timeout

^ that just happened 5 minutes ago...

These are my DSL connection stats... does everything look alright?

33 REPLIES
N/A

Connection Drop-Outs

Try this site that another user posted:

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/linestats.htm
shellsong
Grafter

Connection Drop-Outs

Looks OK to me except that I would have thought you ought to be able to achieve better downstream with your line length/attenuation
N/A

Connection Drop-Outs

What is my SNR Margin and how can I work out what it is.

At most times when I get this disconnection problem my SNR is around 4dB so is that a problem?
shellsong
Grafter

Connection Drop-Outs

Depending on the equipment, 4dB would appear to be getting rather low for good signal discrimination hence the disconnection-- it has been said that some Netgear routers appear to be able to function stably down to an indicated 0dB (which seems a bit quirky to me!)

More importantly, have you tried all the tricks to improve the SNR that you have access to such as plugging straight into the test socket (if you have one) in your BT master socket or removing the ring wire if one is connected-- see http://yarwell.blogspot.com/2005_08_01_yarwell_archive.html
N/A

Connection Drop-Outs

I appear to have the old style connection in my house... it looks like this:

If I remove the orange wire coming in from the black wire at the top, the line is cut off... so what do I do?
N/A

Connection Drop-Outs

Ok, I have removed the two orange wires from the area circled in the picture below, and these are my line stats now:

N/A

Connection Drop-Outs

Hmmm... I just rebooted the router forcing it to resync and this is what it says now:

The SNR is fluctuating between 0 and 3 now Sad
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Connection Drop-Outs

Hi,

That is one of the really old master sockets. It could easily be the cause. I'm not sure what BT's policy is on replacing old style master sockets but it may be worth checking with them.

Otherwise I'd suggest raising it via the fault checker and we should be able to increase the target SNR to lower the speed a little to make it more stable.
N/A

Connection Drop-Outs

When I called BT, they told me that it will cost £65 or so to call out an engineer and £70 or so for replacing that box, which is stupid money.

They would only do it as part of their service if it affected the calls Evil

I have tried doing things with Fault Checker before regarding this problem, and after serveral tickets and with the most recent being closed without my consent (it says that I closed it, but I definitely did not) I am still at square one.

Could you please increase the target SNR for me?
shellsong
Grafter

Connection Drop-Outs

Shouldn't the target SNR have stayed about the same, Dave? Any idea why it might have dropped about 4dB when resynching after removing the ring wire?

Mind you it looks as though the SNR effectively dropped between the readings after ring wire removal and the readings after resynching, otherwise the synch rate would have gone to about 8 Mbps!
N/A

Connection Drop-Outs

Hi,

Even after the ring wire was disconnected - well at least I think it was the ring wire I disconnected - the SNR has been fluctuating between 0 and 12 :?

Is this normal? At the moment it is on 8
Community Veteran

Connection Drop-Outs

Which can be arranged by yourself at no fee ... oh dear the phone line is crackly ... hmm must call BT on 150 and report a voice fault.

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
N/A

Connection Drop-Outs

Which can be arranged by yourself at no fee ... oh dear the phone line is crackly ... hmm must call BT on 150 and report a voice fault.

SW.

Funnily enough I have just got off the phone with BT and told them that - they are doing a line test now.

Ok - they have just called me back and told me to test all phones on the master socket... since I don't actually have a master one, its going to be a bit hard - lol. When the wire comes into the house, it splits off into two (as you may be able to see in the images above), so I think we have 2 master sockets :s
N/A

Connection Drop-Outs

This is the latest line stats:

The attainable data rate is higher than before, which I suppose is a good thing.

What does forward error correction mean?