cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection / DNS / Routing Issues Thread 2

LiamM
Grafter

I have started this thread as the previous thread had to be closed.

I am still having issues with my connection this morning - and I'm afraid I can't buy it right now that this is external to Plusnet.

I can't see any reports elsewhere on any other ISP's sites, forums, or service status pages of any similar issues. Nowt on AG being reported and I've checked Service Status (and forums if they have em) of F2S, Eclipse, Pipex, Nildram, BT Yahoo and NTL. Nothing.

I can't sign into MSN or visit half the sites I usually do. It's better when I use my own DNS Servers, but I still get routing issues and websites not resolving.

Can you tell us which transit partner is causing this problem? And why traffic is not being routed around them rather than through them?
92 REPLIES
N/A

I've got to agree, i've been on my regular forums today and no one an a seperate ISP to me is having any trouble with anything. I'd like to hear a PN comment on this please!
N/A

i am having problems too. dns routing to europe. i can get websites in the uk and us but any in europe it not getting there.

Nick
passer
Grafter

So, if it's allegedly outside of the PlusNet world, what was the reason for the emergency maintenance work announced yesterday evening? Announced 20 minutes after the maintenance period commenced, I might add. Do I detect head-scratching and floundering?

Nice touch to move the service status forum further down the presentation page, btw. Saves people noticing it.
N/A

Are we all using Netgear DG834G's?

It couldn't be that... surely...err.. could it?
N/A

I'm having the same issues using a frog, so not your router at fault.

BTW, I didn't have any problems yesterday, they've just manifested this morning. Examples of dead sites being dubsounds.co.uk and also their forums hosted by proboards in (I think) the US, britannica.com, b3ta.com, afenet.com (though in the main that's a mercy), etc.
danep
Grafter

Hi all

I am still having problems here as well. I tested plusnets theory that it was dns problems outside their network by using my GPS Vodaphone card inm y laptop to connect and was able to connect to any site I wanted without problems. The same sites that my plusnet service cant get to.......

Regards
Dane
N/A

I'm having problems and I'm not using Netgear kit.

03/05/06 10:42:52 Fast traceroute www.schlockmercenary.com
Trace www.schlockmercenary.com (69.57.144.95) ...
1 192.168.3.254 0ms 0ms 14ms TTL: 0 (home.gateway ok)
2 195.166.128.123 32ms 31ms 14ms TTL: 0 (lo0-plusnet.ptn-ag1.plus.net probable bogus rDNS: No DNS)
3 84.92.3.18 31ms 35ms 15ms TTL: 0 (ge0-0-0-103.ptn-gw2.plus.net ok)
4 212.159.4.6 15ms 14ms 14ms TTL: 0 (gi1-1-22.ptn-gw5.plus.net ok)
5 195.66.226.185 14ms 15ms 13ms TTL: 0 (No rDNS)
6 130.117.0.46 87ms 86ms 86ms TTL: 0 (p10-0.core01.bos01.atlas.cogentco.com probable bogus rDNS: No DNS)
7 66.28.4.110 107ms 106ms 109ms TTL: 0 (p5-0.core01.ord01.atlas.cogentco.com probable bogus rDNS: No DNS)
8 154.54.2.13 134ms 133ms 149ms TTL: 0 (p15-0.core01.iah01.atlas.cogentco.com probable bogus rDNS: No DNS)
9 No Response * * *
10 No Response * * *
11 No Response * * *
N/A

nope
not a hardware porblem at our end, more like dns servers got a bit confused where to point to.

come on fix it i am missing WOW time my only day off from work and gf Sad

nick
N/A

come on fix it i am missing WOW time my only day off from work and gf Sad

LMAO..same here, first weekend i've had alone in 2 months, he he!!!
dragona
Grafter

I tested plusnets theory that it was dns problems outside their network by using my GPS Vodaphone card inm y laptop to connect and was able to connect to any site I wanted without problems. The same sites that my plusnet service cant get to.......

Wouldnt a mobile phone use sattelites to get the data .. where as land line uses all cabled solutions...? so a different route would be taken if it was a mobile phone being used...
N/A

Same problem here. Many sites inaccessible since yesterday afternoon and it got worse through the evening. Still the same this morning.
N/A

I switched over to use my local dns server here doing its own lookups, and it is suffering the same failures.

It looks to me like one of the root servers (possibly one being picked for uk traffic by geo balancing) is at fault. I'll try running named in verbose mode and verify that in a short while. Obviously, if this is the case, then its clearly not something that PlusNet have control over, and would be a problem far and wide.

Which leads me onto the second issue. I admit, i've yet to check all the usual forums for any information so I can't confirm, but according to the posts above, this appears to not be an issue suffered far and wide, which in the case above, I would expect it to be.

Anyway, I shall continue my testing. In the event of no resolution (pun intended), i'll be temporarily setting up my server to forward dns requests via america.

I am of course assuming entirely that plusnet are not doing any transparent proxying of dns queries in order to save transit lookups. Of course, if they were, and this was broken, it would go a long way to explain things.
N/A

Re: Connection / DNS / Routing Issues Thread 2

I can't sign into MSN or visit half the sites I usually do. It's better when I use my own DNS Servers, but I still get routing issues and websites not resolving.

Are these alt DNS servers public or local to you? Although if there are routing issues, then it won't help anyway!

Anyone got any suggestions other than switch supplier, which although I am tempted, I can't do today!

Mike
N/A

I too have been suffering with these problems since the beginning of yesterday morning.

I have found however, that disconnecting and reconnecting gives me access to different sites. This is because you are connecting to a different gateway I presume.

You can check which gateway you are connected to by visiting http://usertools.plus.net/@gateway

Oh, and my two cents is that this is PlusNet's problem, since the gateways do belong to PlusNet (try putting in "pte-ag2" for example, you'll see bbplus.pte-ag2.dyn.plus.net) and why is it that the sites I can access depend on the gateway I'm connected to?