cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting to ECDL Portal

N/A

My wife works for the NHS and is taking her ECDL using our home pc. Trouble is whenever she tries to log on she gets a page unobtainable message.

I've raised a ticket and been advised " Please try changing your DNS settings to 212.159.13.49 and 212.159.13.50 respectively in your network card settings".

Not sure how to do this and also concerned about messing pc up. Has anyone else had this problem or can they explain step by step what I need to do?

I've got a BT Voyager 2110 router if that's relevant and when I go into start connections I get three options, Broadband (but that shows as disconnected!), Local Area Network 2 (connected) and 1394 Connection (connected).

Anyone able to help?
11 REPLIES
___oDiN__
Grafter

if your router doesnt have a area for dns settings enter them into the local area network connection

right click on it and choose properties

highlight tcp ip and choose properties
and enter the dns servers into the relevent boxes
click ok with accept the changes

hope that helps
N/A

Thanks for your help but I tried that and still no joy. Any other ideas?
___oDiN__
Grafter

post the web address and we will see if its accesable here

have u tried to ping and tracert the site

click start
run
cmd

do ping www.thesiteaddress.com

same with tracert
N/A

Re: Connecting to ECDL Portal

I've got a BT Voyager 2110 router if that's relevant and when I go into start connections I get three options, Broadband (but that shows as disconnected!), Local Area Network 2 (connected) and 1394 Connection (connected).

Anyone able to help?

Errm,

Some please correct me if I am wrong here. But looking at that statement something seems wrong. How can the "Broadband" option appear as disconnected when quite obviously it needs to be connected in order to get onto the net.
On another angle I was under the firm understanding that the connection type affiliated with the number 1394 were firewire?
If it is firewire, since when did they make this kind of modem/router connection, and if its not firewire, what is it ?

Regards,
N/A

Maybe he set the modem up using USB so has a modem setting that are showing disconnected (Broadband) - but is connected using the Ethernet connection (Local Area Network 2) - like this -

N/A

Chris indeed,

But is that 1394 connection not a firwire connection?
I know that on my laptop (when I first got it ) 1394 sprung up yet nothing was attached, I then later disabled this and it has made 0 difference ( I dont use firewire btw, never have done ).

But yes I see where you are coming from I personally thought that the OP was relating these options as being from within the router config as apposed to local.

Yep my mistake I jumped those few words there lmao. ( Darn speed reading ) :lol:
N/A

Yes Tom the 1394 connection is firewire, I don't know why I have it enabled because I have never used any firewire hardware either.

Maybe in a few thousand years we may need to use it to connect to our super routers and get download speeds up to 800Mbps - Cheesy
N/A

ROFL @ 800Mbps,

Although saying that in Finland you can have a 100mbit line for as little as 15 euros. But here is the catch, you can download up to 300GB once you reach this limit your capped to 10mbit as apposed to your full 100mbit :lol:

Now imagine that for speed.

Anyway, back on topic as I think we have hijacked this enough.
N/A

first off, tom why didnt you pimp my site?

www.buzzons.co.uk/tutorials

it has a link in there on how to config all your network stuff -- including your DNS - in realy easy to follow steps.

2nd its your firewire port, it reads as connected at all times unless you do disconect it -- and if you disable it, remeber to enable it again when using firewire apps like an iPod.

you can also network using Firewire, just like you can using usb which gives very nice speeds if gigabit isnt available to you and you need to transfer stuff over from PC to PC.
N/A

Buz,

Sorry matey, I didnt realise you had a tutorials section at all. But now I know I will pimp it out if needed Wink
N/A

Well in turned out to be a simple case of clearing my internet website files cache!!!!