cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting through cable

N/A

Connecting through cable

This may well be a silly question, but a friend of mine wants to join PN. At the moment he gets broadband through cable with Virgin, if he joined PN would he still be able to get it through cable, or would the phone line need to be upgraded and the service provided through that?
13 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Connecting through cable

Hi there.

Welcome to the forums.

We can only provide service if a BT phonline line is present and active on the premises.

We do not provide a cable service but our products and customer service are miles better than Virgin Wink

In addition Virgin dont have nice friendly and informative forums either.

Smiley
N/A

Connecting through cable

Hehe indeed I realise that, I was just thinking it would be easier and quicker through cable. I'll just have to persuade him to get the phone line upgraded. Shouldn't be too hard
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 158

Connecting through cable

Ensure he puts your name in the referral section so you can get your discount. Wink
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
mcguinness58
Grafter

Connecting through cable

But when Virgin customers pay for 10MB speeds they do actually get them. I pay for 8MB and get 5MB.
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 158

Connecting through cable

But when Virgin customers pay for 10MB speeds they do actually get them. I pay for 8MB and get 5MB.

The service is upto 8Mb and has always been marketed this way, unfortunately this is due to the limitations of the local loop.

Cable and MAX dsl cannot really be compared like for like as the service operates in different ways.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
N/A

Connecting through cable

You pay for up to 8MB and PN does explain on the portal what up to 8MB means, so I will not repeat it. Virgin (cable companies) can supply fixed higher speeds because their systems use optical cable so they do not suffer copper losses like the BT system.
N/A

Connecting through cable

A friend of mine had 10mb with NTL as well as Sky one etc. His 10mb was blistering, nothing like the psuedo 8mb service you get with ADSLMax.

Then Virgin took over NTL, he found that he had been put on an inferior package to what new customers were being offered.

His internet was dropped to 4mb with a big price hike if he wanted 10mb, also his did not have Sky one. Well he complained and got the Sky one back for a few short weeks and then Sky ended their contract with Virgin as they would not come up with the money.
mcguinness58
Grafter

Connecting through cable

Yes i know it is upto 8MB but when i was upgraded I had speeds of 700K + for a few month and now the fastest I get is tops about 520K a second and that is over night.
N/A

Connecting through cable

You pay for up to 8MB and PN does explain on the portal what up to 8MB means, so I will not repeat it. Virgin (cable companies) can supply fixed higher speeds because their systems use optical cable so they do not suffer copper losses like the BT system.

Yes there are many other factors too, it probably does not help to have traffic shaping on top of all that.

Still things are improving at Plusnet, although if Be, talk talk or Sky were in my exchange Plusnet would have lost me last year.
gswindale
Grafter

Connecting through cable

I would'nt go near Sky with a Barge pole. They seem to have problems with accepting MAC codes for people wishing to migrate (particularly from Orange from what I've heard).
N/A

Connecting through cable

It is always grief to move, what counts is what it is like once things have settled down.
N/A

Connecting through cable

Still things are improving at Plusnet, although if Be, talk talk or Sky were in my exchange Plusnet would have lost me last year.

So is your problem with Plusnet or BT? You can migrate to the above without them being in your exchange :?
N/A

Connecting through cable

My main problem WAS with Plusnet as their customer service and broadband was dire.

Since the BT take over it is much much better.

I do have a problem with the way BT runs the network but that is another issue.

Right now Plusnet has improved, my line is stable providing 5 of a possible 7mb. Email is operational and communication is improving.

Plusnet made lots of promises that things would improve but these were empty promises until BT came along and the MD was let go.

There is no point migrating when other ISP's are not in your exchange, all you are doing is getting BT rebadged and delivered by a different network. BE say I am too far from their exchange but that is rubbish (I get 7mb and am very close). What BE mean is they have not invested in your exchange.

SKY & TT would just rebadge the BT service and charge extra to do so which makes them uncompetive (unless PN force you onto another plan).