cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting an Xbox 360 to my modem

Derbo

I have just purchased an xbox 360 and I've trying to connect to xbox live, but the ethernet cable does not fit into my modem as there is no socket for it. Do i have to buy a new modem ? Why is there no ethernet connection socket ?
5 REPLIES
N/A

Sounds like you have a USB modem like the BT Voyager 100 series. These are designed simply to allow a single computer to connect to the Internet and will only work with the Windows operating system.

As you state there is no ethernet port on almost all USB modems.

What product are you on? You may be entitled to a free BT Voyager 210 modem/router if you switch (have switched?) to BBYW. This modem also includes ethernet and will solve your problem (as well as being compatible with Linux and Windows Vista).

Alternatively, use a cross-over cable to connect your XBOX via your PC, or invest in a wired router like the Netgear DG834.[/url]
Derbo

Thanks for your reply.

I do have a BT Voyager 100 modem, but didn't realise I was able to switch to a BT voyager 120 for free ? I haven't switched to BBYW, as I'm not sure what you mean.
N/A

If you switch to one of the recently released Broadband Your Way (BBYW) products then you are entitled to either a free wireless router (also with ethernet) or a free USB modem/ one port ethernet router depending on the product you choose.

Existing customers will have to pay P&P (as I recall this is £5.99) for their equipment, but will not have to pay for the equipment itself if they remain with PlusNet for another twelve months.

If you raise a ticket asking for the equipment as and when you move, agreeing to the postage and packaging charge, then your equipment will be sent to you.

Slight word of warning, BBYW has replaced previous products, and you will not be able to move back to any product you may have been on prior to BBYW. As a result, make sure that BBYW is suitable for your needs before transferring, particularly with respect to the longer "paid for" usage period between 0800-0000hrs (usually the additional included usage leaves you better off anyway).
Derbo

Many thanks for your advice. I was looking at changing my account in view of the new changes, now I'll look into a bit more and make the change.

Thanks.
Liam
Grafter

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask and one of us (or any of the forum regulars) are sure to help you out :-)