cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting a 56k modem through ADSL line

crusty
Grafter

I currently have 2mb ADSL but I want to test a web site I built on a 56k modem so I can see how it performs at non broadband speeds. I was informed by help desk that this should be possible. I have connected an old laptop with and without filter. It dials in and accepts the password but I just get the DNS error page wherever I visit.

Any ideas what I am doing wrong. If it isn't possible does anyone know of any emulation software that might help.

Cheers
7 REPLIES
N/A

why don't u limit your download speed to 4 kbps, then try loading your website. This should give u a good indication of how long it takes the average person on diapup. Or you could simply use the fize size of the homepage/website and then work out how long it would take to download at an average of 4 kbps. Let's hope this gives u a few ideas Smiley
crusty
Grafter

Thanks Steve.
How do I limit my download speed?
LiamM
Grafter

Just a thought. Is your ADSL active at the same time? If so, you cannot dial in to the backup dialup number and have the ADSL active from the same account, at the same time. Doing so will confuse Plusnets systems, and it will attempt to assign the same IP address to the computer dialing up.
crusty
Grafter

Thanks Martin
I disconnected everything from the line except the laptop. I am not aware of any way to deactivate the ADSL though.
N/A

Hi,

What did you mean by "but I just get the DNS error page wherever I visit"? Is this for your page or for everything?

There really should be no problem using dial-up on the same line as ADSL - and if you want to avoid using your own account details, there is always the 'signup' account.

What does ipconfig (assuming NT/W2K/XP) give you when you are connected by modem?

Geoff
crusty
Grafter

Thanks Geoff
I'm afraid the only pc I have with a 56k modem is running W98. Vista it's not but it works fine with ADSL.

I connect fine but it does nothing after that. Every URL I type does not get a response, hence the DNS error page.
crusty
Grafter

Here's a thought - perhaps there is some kind sole out there who is using a 56k modem could look at the following page:

http://www.charliebaird.co.uk

Could you tell me if the flash slide show I put on this artists web site works. It swaps an image every 6 seconds. It works fine using broadband but I fear that it is not preloading the images properly before displaying them. Therefore the result, I imagine, would be about 3 seconds of white space between slides.

It would be much appreciated as, aside from that little bug, the site is finished.

Cheers Rob