cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connected second BT socket, now speed is at 1/2!

mrchalk
Grafter

Hi guys, maybe a bit of a long one here, but bear with me! I am in a new build & all sockets have been fitted by BT - the main socket & the spare in the bedroom. The spare was not hooked up at the main although it was hooked up in the bedroom & a cable ran between the 2.

This started when i wanted the 2nd BT socket in my bedroom connected. I took the main BT socket apart on Saturday, unplugging phone line/router in the process. I had a look & put it back together again & all was good. D/L speeds unaffected.

This evening (Sunday), i took the main socket apart again & wired up the bedroom socket at the main socket. I then plugged the phone in the bedroom in & it worked. However, i noticed that whilst the bedroom phone was plugged in, i seemed to be getting alot of "the server at ****.com has timed out". It done this with a lot of sites. I assumed it was to do with the 2nd phone being connected for some reason, so went to the main socket & just disconnected the 2nd socket again.

Now the router is telling me my down is 4704Kbps (what it roughly always is) but my actual d/l speeds have halved from around 450-500 to 200-250. I have rebooted the router about 10 times.

Does anyone have the slightest idea what is going on? Has anything like this happened anyone before?

Cheers guys

Screenshot

[Moderator's note by Jonathan (chillypenguin): Oversized image changed to a link, as it was distorting the forum.]
38 REPLIES
Liam
Grafter

Looks like at some point your sync speed dropped to around 2Mb. Possibly a phone has been plugged in without a microfilter?

Anyway, when a 'blip' like that happens, BT often reduce your IP Profile at their end, which is why it is reporting an IP Profile of 2000. This is to ensure there are minimal data transfer issues in the event of a fault, or a lower than usual sync.

It's this IP profile that is currently restricting your speeds. Though your sync speed has come back up, BT can take around 72 hours to increase the IP Profile back to normal. Rebooting your router once or twice a day for a few days should fix that.
mrchalk
Grafter

Cheers m8, i plugged the phone into the bedroom socket not connected to a micro filter. Thank you very much indeed for your answer, ill reboopt my router for a couple of times for a few days then. Thanks again Wink
Liam
Grafter

Give me a poke if it's not sorted itself by, say, Thursday morning.
mrchalk
Grafter

Cheers Liam, much appreciated. Ill keep you posted Wink
mrchalk
Grafter

Well guys, a bit of an update here on my situation. My ip profile is now reported as 2500kbps which is up 500kbps from Sunday.

However my router is only reporting speeds of 3424kbps instead of the usual 4800(roughly)kbps.

Im praying it will rise again back to what it was previously. I have posted a screen shot for you guys to look at. Is this normal process? Many thanks guys.

LOOK HERE
Community Veteran

Sounds like the extra wiring to the new extension is susceptible to electrical noise.

With Wifi and DECT being available, I'd question why you need to have the extra phone sockets in the house at all?

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
mrchalk
Grafter

Most if not all new builds round by me have a 2nd point somewhere installed by BT at the time of the build.

The extra socket is totally disabled, it is connected to nothing at all. It was to plug my 360 into and to save me £55 on an adapter.

Will i see my sync increase?
mrchalk
Grafter

Anyone know weather my sync will increase?? Cheers folks.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

What are your line stats? It could be that BT have seen that the line was unstable and increased the target SNR and thus lowering the speed to try and improve the stability.

Do you still have the 2nd phone socket connected to the phone line?
mrchalk
Grafter

Line stats are here
Sorry if thats a bit hard to read. Its says:

IP profile for your line is 2500kbps
DSL connection rate 448kbps(upstream)3616(downstream)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was 2048kbps

No Dave, the other socket has been disconnected since Sunday Night & the Master socket returned to normal. What do you think the problem is? I hope it doesnt stay like this?? Cheers m8, hope you can have a look into this for me, wil be greatly appreciated Smiley
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Can you get the stats from your modem/router as well? This page shows how to get them on most modems:

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.htm
mrchalk
Grafter

Hiya mate, i have a linksys WAG-54GS. I dont really understand the instructions at all. I clicked the fist link to turn debug on, but now im lost at

"start telnet:
telnet 192.168.1.1"

:?

Also, on Sunday night i wasnt best pleased & reset my router (by getting a pin & pushing in the wee button on the back) for some mad reason & im just thinking would that be the reasonHuh Shockedops:

Hmm.. but now im thinking it couldnt be cause i wired up my old bt modem on Sunday night & it was saying i was connected at 3.5Mbps, so it must be the line, right?
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

For the telnet part, after clicking the debug link either click start then run, type CMD and click OK, then type

telnet 192.168.1.1

or you could just click

telnet://192.168.1.1

then type in the command.

My gut feeling is that the line was unstable at some point and BT have lowered the speed because of this. A woosh test shows your downstream attenuation as 49.5dB and the SNR as 15dB. So it's a fairly long line and the 15dB SNR would tie in with what I'm thinking, that it's been increased because of an instability which in turn has reduced the speed.
mrchalk
Grafter

Cheers Dave!

Will my speed return thoughHuh? :shock:

I mean since i had Max enabled probably about a year ago i have been getting aroung 450kbps-500kbps with no problems at all. It only went **** up when i connected the 2nd phone which as you know i disconnected Sad

Please tell them im stable agin Cheesy