cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connected but not able to surf web

N/A

Has anyone else been experiencing suddenly not being able to surf the internet despite being connected. It has happened to me many times and only after several attempts of disconnecting then reconnecting does the problem seem to sort itself out although thats not always the case. A couple of times I have noticed that there is no value for either the primary or secondary DNS so am guessing that might be the problem. Could anyone suggest 2 other IP's for DNS's so i can try them instead of the default ones, or suggest something else, Cheers, Edd

[Moderator's note by Chris (Eurotrain4): BBCode tags removed from title as they don't work there]
13 REPLIES
N/A

Diconnection

I have had the same problem and found if I restart my DHCP service i can surf the net again. I would be interested to find the reason why
N/A

Aye, same here. I raised a ticket and went to and fro for a few days, then they stopped replying and it suddenly worked again. So who knows what the problem was :?
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

The four DNS servers are

When the problem starts are youable to get any data transfer at all e.g. mail, MSN, P2P? Have you tried to ping anything when the problem starts, open a command prompt and type

ping 212.159.13.49

and

ping www.plus.net

and see if either gives a response.

If just the first responds then it's likely that DNS is the cause, if both it could be a firewall, if neither then it could be one of several things.
N/A

I can get p2p, msn etc but no browser or smtp. I stop and start DHCP Client and its all good again
N/A

when the problem happens, do a ipconfig /displaydns and then check wether ipconfig /flushdns will do the trick.

Could be a local problem too as you seem to have the problem more frequently than others.
N/A

Cheers, I will try the suggestions next time it happens. Generally what happens is that I can still download using p2p but can't surf the web or use msn messenger.
N/A

I've had it a few times, although it has always been resolved in a minute or two. And as soon as it is, and I can use the Internet again, I get an e-mail announcing the problem.
N/A

I have had the problem usually when i disconnect from p2p and try to surf after a while. I have tried pinging when the problem occurs and get a no found replay from url and ip ping. I have flushed dns and it worked a few times, but generally I have to stop and start DHCP client or restart. Its a pain. I was wondering what OS and equip people are using?

XP pro and BT Voyager router(plusnet supplied) here
N/A

TCP Config

not sure if I have fixed the problem by actually changing setting in TCP config to only go for the two plusnet DNS servers. I have added them instead of the automatic default setting an the problem hasnt occured today.
rammie1976
Grafter

Can I vote more than once - this problem is not going away....its nothing to do with the hardware and the sync light stays solid. Sad
datsme

I recently had problems with DNS lookups and updated my Windows settings to hardcode in the DNS addresses. The problems went away. I later did some looking around and found that iTunes 5.0 for Windows had been found to install something that messed up Windows DNS addressing. Guess what I had installed just before my problems started! iTunes 5.0.1 for Windows is now out and that does look as though it has solved that problem. Now I am getting the problem of wrong DNS addresses being sent to router every now and again.
monkeyboy
Dabbler

I have this exact same problem, which is why I have found these forums seeking an answer. It hapened again about 30mins ago, internet went down, msn disconnected, tried to ping IP's and sites and nothing. After restarting router, computer, everything, and nothing. Driving me nuts, I've had enough of it now and want an answer. It's not a firewall issue. The router is saying connected, but nothing can be accessed. This is happening at an increasing rate. I notice that there is maintenence scheduled for early tomorrow morning, is this related? Will this problem be sorted? Will it happen again??

Looking forward to hearing from a moderator / support technician.

Richard Smith
N/A

success

well chaps I have not lost a connection since I changed my IP/TCP connections to only using the Plusnet DNS servers. Using the DNS provided by someone above.