cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect Lite Connection

N/A

Connect Lite Connection

Poor connection tonight-Unable to connect at all between 8pm and 9.20pm then once connected the connection dropped. Took another 1 hour to reconnect. I am aware of the contention issues but this level of service is clearly unacceptable. What is going on?
9 REPLIES
N/A

Connect Lite Connection

Connections dropping, is usualy the sound of issues within your own hardware setup, your wiring, the line between you and the exchange and the exchange equipment.

You should verfy that all your splitter are working correctly, and there are no devices without them.

Note: You CAN have too many splitters/filters.
Community Veteran

Connect Lite Connection

Whats with the splitters Phil?
Connect light must be a dial up connection.
Ianwild
Grafter

Connect Lite Connection

Yes, Connect Lite is a dial up connection, so filters are probably are not the problem here!

The times you have stated were pretty busy this evening and this is a peak time, so some redials should be expected on a 15:1 contended product. Your connection should NEVER drop while you are using it. If this happened we need to investigate further and probably log the fault with BT.

Have you ever used the Friaco fault logging process before?

Regards,
N/A

Connect Lite Connection

Hmm, Hmm, Hmm

I honestly don't know what I didn't read that!
N/A

Connect Lite Connection

Well here we go again.

I have been a loyal customer with Plus net for the last 19 months & for the first 16 months or so I would say the service was excellent.

I have already raised the issue regarding the problems of being unable to connect last night.

Today I have purposely connected earlier and find that it is taking ages for any page to download. In fact it has taken 20 minutes - yes 20 minutes- to get to this section from initial accepted log in.

We pay a monthly fee for the service & I only use around 30-60 mins per day. If I cannot access the service or use the service I have paid for, why should you be entitled to the payment ?.

I really want to stay with Plus net- what is Plus net future plans for connect lite? as it seems that in the last 3 months no action has been taken to improve the service and it seems u are quite happy to lose non broadband custom and any recommendations that your existing customer base could provide.

If this is the case and u have no plans to review your service level, then please advise me so that I and others can make alternative arrangements with a different ISP.
Ianwild
Grafter

Connect Lite Connection

HI,

Where individual problems such as disconnections or slow speed are concerned, this comes down to us working with BT. Individual problems like this the issues invariably lie away from our own network. Unfortunately, even with unlimited resources there would be nothing we could do to change this aspect of the service. We do take these problem reports seriously and once we have collected all the neccessary data from you will log a fault with BTnet on your behalf.

In general terms, the Connect Lite product is something which operates within the levels of service that we advertise and we have no plans to make any changes to the overall quality of service or contention ratios we apply.

Regards,
N/A

Connect Lite Connection

Thank you for your response.

My connection was first time this evening at around 7.15pm and sites are now downloading quickly. In fact the best for quite some time.

What information do you need me to provide should I experience similar problems again?

Your assistance would be appreciated.
N/A

Connect Lite Connection

Hi Philng,

Glad to hear all is working fine at the moment.. Should the problem appear again, we would need a template filling in and also a copy of your systems PPP logs. Templates for these requests and help guides in filling out the templates and retrieving your systems PPP are available from our Contact Us system.
Ianwild
Grafter

Connect Lite Connection

What information do you need me to provide should I experience similar problems again?

Your assistance would be appreciated.

Below is a copy of a post I made to someone with a disconnection type problems a couple of months ago. The context doesn't quite fit, but hopefully you can read between the lines!

---
Hi,

The difference between 0845 and 0808 Friaco based numbers is huge. Friaco numbers terminate on BTs equipment, and the physical connection is managed at their local PoPs. Your connection is then ported to our network over BTs colossus backbone and a fiber optic link to our management servers. This is similar to the way ADSL works. 0845 numbers on the other hand are an analogue call which terminate directly on our own modems. As it stands, we don't actually have a way to disconnect a customer from a Friaco connection, even if we wanted to!

Nobody is asking you to log the fault with BT yourself (Although this can sometimes help in combination with our own process). We will happily raise any problems like this with BTnet on your behalf. In order for us to do this we need you to complete a fault template, and provide full PPP logs. Both then need to be attached to a Contact Us ticket and we will raise this with BT. I have included more information below the main body of my post. The chances are that, any unmetered connection on 0808 will present the same problems for you.

We had a similar problem a year or two ago. Through help from our customers, and a lot of shouting, BT eventually identified an obscure problem on their network and resolved it. It is possible something similar has happened again. At the time there was a lot of info on ISPreview about the specifics, but it seems the search tool here doesn't go back that far. If we are going to raise this again we will need everyones help in getting the data together to identify the pattern with this one.

With Regards,

Ian Wild
PlusNet Customer Support

---

How to obtain PPP logs -

To record PPP logs for Win95/98/98se and ME:

1. Go to My Computer --> Dial Up Networking.
2. Right Click on our connection and click Properties.
3. Highlight the Server Types tab and check "record a log file for this
connection".
4. "OK" the dialog box.

1. Go to Control Panel --> Network.
2. Double Click on Dial Up Adapter.
3. Click the "Advanced" tab.
4. Highlight the "Record a Log File" menu item and select "Yes" from the
drop down box.
5. "OK" the dialog box.

The two files will be in your Windows directory. This is normally
C:WINDOWS.

One is called "ppplog.txt" and the other is the same name as your modem, for
example "56k Generic Modem.log".

For Win2000/2000pro/XPhome and XP pro;

Go to this link;

http://support.microsoft.com/defaul...b;en-us;Q234014

and follow the instructions under;

Enabling PPP Logging on a Computer Running Windows 2000 Professional Using

Netsh.exe

The PPP logs will then be enabled in C:\WINDOWS\tracing

----

The fault template, which is required by BT to be completed in full, should be attached to your ticket using the "Attach File" button within the Contact Us ticket.

YOUR USERNAME -
EXACT NATURE OF FAULT -
FREQUENCY OF EVENTS -
DATES/TIMES -
NUMBER YOU ARE CALLING FROM-
0808 NO. YOU ARE CALLING -
YOUR CONTACT NO. -
YOUR LOCATION -
WHAT HAPPENS ON 0845 DIALUP -
WHAT HAPPENS WHEN ON THE HANDSET -
IS THE LINE A BT LINE -
YOUR MODEM / TA MODEL -