cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect Heavy User Connection Problems

N/A

Hiya

For over 24 hours now i've been unable to connect to the internet using my Connect Heavy User account. I keep getting 777, 678, 732 and 721 errors each time i try to dial-up. I really don't understand whats going on as nothing has changed on my system for these problems to come from so i am using my claranet account just to post to this forums and to collect mail.

If anyone can sugest anything i'd really appreicate it.
10 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Have you raised a contact us ticket to get support to check if there is a problem with your account?

You should include details of the number you are dialling, full error messages and when they occur as well as what exchange you are on (or the number your are dialling from if you do not know) so they can check if it's an exchange issue.

Does it dial then fail to authorise or do you get busy tone when your ring. What tone do you get if you ring the number using a normal phone? Does it answer, just go silent or do you get an announcement and if so what does it say?

Have you tried a different phone socket? Tried with no other phones plugged it?
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

With that amount of different errors it could well be that there's been a corruption with your dial-up settings. Try recreating, or redownloading a dial-up connection and see if that makes a difference.
N/A

Except I have been getting these same problems on my Connect Standard account for at least a couple of weeks now.

Its not an engaged tone. It dials up and and gets through and then goes to verifying user name and password and then fails. You have to ring in 3 or 4 times to get connected.

Yet when I speak to your customer services they say they have no record of these rejected authentications for my account name.

Basically there is a problem with your dial up hardware platform at the moment but Plusnet seems unwilling to either acknowledge or investigate the matter properly.

[Moderator's note (by csogilvie): Please do not quote the previous post in full, as it increases the size of the post unnecessarily]
lhorwath
Grafter

Hi there,

Have you upgraded your modem drivers/router firmware recently? If not it could be worth trying that. Can you also advise of what happens when you connect up with the 0845 1400101 number (this is a local rate number and is for testing only in this case. Once testing has completed, please return to your original access number)?

regards

Luke
N/A

I have not updated my modem drivers for several months since the last upgrade was made available by Samsung. The drivers are therefore up to date.

I can connect on the 0845 numbers reliably every single time with no problem and I only get the problem with hanging at the Verifying User Name and Password stage when calling on the 0808 number. I seem to get problems far more with my secondary CLIs than with the primary CLIaccess number. This is even though have not amended these numbers for several weeks.

[Moderator's note (by csogilvie): Please do not quote the previous post in full, as it increases the size of the post unnecessarily]
jberry
Grafter

Hi there,

Here is the suggested fix for the error codes that you have given taken from our internal virual apps:

In Win2K/XP: Make new DUN conxn and tick PPP & client or re-install modem

678:
Try alternative tel no (check package) > handset test > hypertrm test

my computer > DUN > d/click connectoid - check tel no.

NOTE: User needs OS files to do the following: Remove NC's: my computer > control panel > networks - check, install or re-install > Restart pc - ask customer to connect again.

If this fails, Remove DUN: my computer > control panel > add/remove programs > windows setup > communcations > Take tick out of DUN > click on OK > click on OK > restart pc > my computer > control panel > add/remove programs > windows setup > communications > put tick in DUN > click on OK > click on OK> restart pc - ask customer to try and connect again.

Still getting 678 - go into my computer > DUN > remove connectoid > create a new connectoid.

732:
Reinstall Remote Access - Dial-Up Networking

check DUN conxn

721:
Rebuild the connectoid - reinstall DUN

As you can see, none of the error codes that you have given indicate a server side problem. Just because you have no changed anything does not mean that nothing on your computer has changed.

So, my advise is to reinstall your modem and recreate the DUN (Dial up Networking) connection associated with the 0808 number as well as the other advise given above and see if it helps. There is no service wide issue and it is unlikely this is a fault specific to you from the information given (althogh if the above does not help then get back to us and we will get BT to test your line from the exchange).

Regards,
N/A

Please do me a favour this is simply the usual "Paint by Numbers" response that tech support people always trot out for any such issue raised. It is not an intelligent, logical or rational response for any pretty competent and longstanding PC user of some 16 years standing such as myself.

Basically I can connect sometimes on 0808 and not other times so deleting thh Dial Up Networking connection and reinstalling it is not going to help. If there was a fault due to corruption on the DUN connection then it would fail all the time on 0808.

Please suggest a more intelligent and less time wasting solution.
lhorwath
Grafter

Hi there,

I believe Josh was referring to the OP who quoted the error numbers.

In your case I would advise raising a ticket, including the form I have PM'd you filled in and a copy of your PPP logs so we can report this to BT, but to be honest from the problem you have described, it does sound like a driver issue.

regards

Luke
phillight
Grafter

If there was a fault due to corruption on the DUN connection then it would fail all the time on 0808.

Please suggest a more intelligent and less time wasting solution.

Actually in my dial-up days (not with PlusNet) I had the same symptoms as you serveral times over the years, and re-creating the connection *did* fix it. Not guaranteed to work but definately worth a try.
N/A

Hey,

Thanks for everyones responses, the modems drivers are A-OK - all updated and working perfectly, the line is clear and i've raised a ticket with Plus on a few occations with this matter.

I haven't tried downloading the automatic setups though or recreating the setup again... i just set up the connection manually as i've always done for ISP's and edited the connection to follow Plusnets advice for the settings for Windows XP. Coming to think of it, the second system used Windows 98 and never seems to ever have a problem. Might give it a try and see how things work out...

Again, thanks everyone.

Neil