cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confused

N/A

Confused

I am having frequent (sometimes as many as ten) disconnections a day.

My router (speedtouch 716WL) shows my internet connection has been up for over 6 days but that my DSL connection has only been up for 2 minutes.
I don't understand what this means.

I have certainly lost the connection with the exchange as I reconnect at a different download sync rate.
Is this likely to be a problem with my router or with BT?
41 REPLIES
James
Grafter

Confused

Hi,

I'll just run a line test at this end to see if w're seeing the dropped connections from your router. If not, it could be an issue between your router and computer.
James
Grafter

Confused

I'm only seeing a single login thats been connected for 7 days.

This suggests that your WAN connection is fine, but the problem lies at the LAN side.
N/A

Confused

Sorry James but I am still confused.

How does my router lose sync with the exchange without losing the connection to PlusNet?
James
Grafter

Confused

Your router doesn't appear to be losing sync.

I think your router is losing the connection to your computer, hence the apparent dropped connections.
Firejack
Grafter

Confused

Wireless Routers aren't that reliable in all honesty. My friends gone through a couple and is going back to cables when he moves house this week. Wireless Routers are really prone to interference, even though they should be more tolerable and are sold giving this impression.

What signal strength is showing on your computers Wireless network card?
N/A

Confused

How can I be not losing sync when the router log shows "xDSL linestate down" then "xDSL linestate up" and I reconnect at a different downstream rate?

I have tried to send the router screen dump to support but been unsuccessful. Happy to email it to you if you are interested.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Confused

Wireless Routers aren't that reliable in all honesty...

Funnily enough, it can also depend on the model of the router - I used to have a Linksys (WAG54G I think) and it was terrible. Wireless used to get more and more unstable until it wouldn't work at all - the wireless network would show up, but XP would hang trying to connect getting an IP from the DHCP. In the end I could only getting the wireless working by doing a factory reset and entering the settings again.

Not forgetting the tendency it had to completely lose the ADSL firmware settings for no apparent reason - meaning of course it would no longer connect to the internet. I wouldn't mind, but it happened on my router and on someone else's PC I got called out to assist to - they had the same model and it done this a couple of times. They didn't know how to set up a router so I was asked to go round there and re-enter everything.

Replaced it with a Thompson Speedtouch and it's been fine ever since. Wireless is fine, never lost the settings and in fact I've never had to even reboot the router to regain connectivity (something I've never had before with a router).
N/A

Confused

I am not connected wirelessly and I actually have the wireless function disabled on the router.

It isn't a problem between my computer and the router but between my router and the exchange. The router log shows the DSL connection going down and coming back up.
James
Grafter

Confused

BT shows you as having been physically connected to us for 7 days.
Community Veteran

Confused

Can you copy and paste some of the router log on here?
It sounds like the problem I had recently. No loss of sync but loss of connection to plusnet :?
James
Grafter

Confused

Our router logs equally suggest that no connection has been dropped.

I'd be inclined to blame the router.
N/A

Confused

How can I get a different downstream speed if I haven't lost sync?

I have carried out several btspeedtests during the 7 days and if you examine them you will see they have different down-stream rates.

My router log shows the xDSL connection going down.
Community Veteran

Confused

As requested can you copy and paste the last few entries of the log here.
This may give a clue as to what is happening.
N/A

Confused

I took a screen dump on Monday and I have extracted the relevant lines:

Jan 8 08:47:48 GRP Default destination is not routed anymore via gateway xxx.xx.xxx.xx

Jan 8 08:47:48 xDSL linestate down

Jan 8 08:47:48 FIREWALL event (1 of 1): enabled rules

Jan 8 08:48:06 GRP Default destination is routed via gateway xxx.xx.xxx.xx

Jan 8 08:48:06 xDSL linestate up (downstream:8032 kbit/s, upstream: 448 kbit/s; output Power Down: 19.5 dBm, Up12.0 dBm; line Attenuation Down 43.0dB, Up 23.5 dB; snr Margin Down:7.0 dB, Up:22.0 dB)