cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confused

N/A

Confused

Well, I was upgraded to MAX DSL yesterday, and I am a bit confused as to whats going on. I've read through the FAQs but I still need some help which hopefully you can help me out with. Cheesy

Looking at my router stats

DownStream Connection Speed 8128 kbps
UpStream Connection Speed 448 kbps

So thats normal, I speed tested yesterday afternoon and got 58kbps, last night however this went up to 238kbps. Tonight however its down to 114kbps. Now, as i'm only 2 days into the training period I'm assuming that this is normal, and my max speed will slowly increase till the 10 days is over.

My second question is my router. I currently leave my router on 24/7 but some people have said that you need to disconnect the router for at least 15minutes. However, other people say this lowers your speed. Which is correct?

And finally, my third question is about my stable rate, which reports at Your current broadband speed is 2000 Kbps. Will this be the same as my connection and change after a few days?

Thanks in advance for any information you can give me.
4 REPLIES
N/A

Confused

Hi there,

Have a read at this article from the Help&Support section.

http://portal.plus.net/support/broadband/products/getready.shtml

If you have any further questions after that post back and I am sure we can get the answers. Smiley
N/A

Confused

Ok, thank you for the link. I saw this part in the guide:

"It's important that you frequently make new connections to the Internet during this 10 day period so these tests can take place."

Now does that mean disconnecting from the internet only (which will still mean I'm synced at the exchange) or turn off the power/disconnect the phone line so that I lose sync and also my connection THEN reconnect?
N/A

Confused

Hi there. Powering down your modem / router will be sufficient. When powered down you will lose synch anyhow.
N/A

Confused

Ok, so if I power down my router say.....15 minutes each day then my testing period will be going through ok?

It was just some people were saying the exchange would think this is a drop in the connection and thus lower the connection speed. Thanks a lot for your replies Smiley