Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confused about the upgrades...

stevie
Grafter

Can someone clarify this for me?

Your line will automatically be 'regraded' so that it can support the highest speed possible. To actually change to a higher speed you will need to visit the portal and request the speed change.

I'm on the Broadband EasyStart package at 512. I keep seeing different posts saying different things but the quote above from the FAQ's seems to say that yes my line may support 2MB once regraded but I'll continue to run at 512 unless I change product.

Other places in the forums seem to say that I'll get the speed increase without having to change package at all.

Which is it?? :?

Cheers!
10 REPLIES
The_10th
Grafter

Accounts

I understand that all packages will be increased as you are paying for bandwidth used and not speed with the changes afoot.

Undocumented feature of software = bug

Wink
Community Veteran

Subject to your line supporting it, you will be upgraded to 2Mbs between April and June. This is independant of any fair usge system. At a latsre date you may also get speed increases to 8Mbs, again if your line supports it. This is all for free. and you don't have to do anything, and you will continue to pay what you do now.

Fair usage should (subject to developments being completed) be introduced in April.
N/A

Just looking to alleviate a little confusion here.

From reading the ADSLGuide and PlusNet forums and speaking to Customer Service, it appears we have 2 ways to increase our line speed come mid-April when the new tariffs come in to effect.

1) Pay £14.99 and get an "immediate" regrade onto IPStream 2000 if the line will support it. Continue paying normal monthly subscription fee and maintain normal contract terms.

2) Wait for BT to do the bulk regrades. From one of Ians posts on AG (link below) the line will be put on to MaxDSL when BT get round to it, which means you get the best speed available.

http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=plusnet&Number=1723702&page=0&view=expanded&...

Firstly is this accurate? And secondly what is the difference between IPStream2000 and MaxDSL for those not on the BT 8meg trial? If you choose option 1 above, will you be put on MaxDSL when BT do the bulk regrades?

Plus, you may want to brief your CS reps a little better. One of them told me my line would automatically go to 2Mb on 1st April :? :!: (although to be honest this was last week)
Ianwild
Grafter

If that was the case, we need to rebrief the CSC immediately. I will raise it with our new training team.

Your post provides quite a clear summisation of what will be possible in April. All customers will be shifted onto MaxDSL, regardless of their IPStream product type at that time.

The way I'm looking at MaxDSL, is as a two phase rollout:

1. All customers upgraded to IpStream MaxDSL, which will mean the line syncronises with the exchange at the best possible sped it can (This will be achieved with the use of a 'RAMBO' device, that constantly checks line quality at the exchange)

2. As part of a trial, higher speed maxdsl allowing upto 8Mb/s willbe made available between April and the Autumn. Once the product has completed it's trial, it will become available nationally and all of our customers will see higher speeds if their line can support it.

The problem is that BT have still not made many of the details about part 1 available to us yet (You would have thought, given that this is costing us half a million quid, they might be a little more forthcoming, but the decision to go down this route wasn't made by BT till Mid January, so they are still playing catch up).

As soon as we have more clarification for customers on what is happening when, we will communicate it via an announcement. We are expecting this to be possible next week...

Regards,

Ian
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

Yep, that pretty much sums it up. The mass regrades will start at the beginning of April (maybe end of March) and will carry on until the end of June.

As soon as we roll out the back end changes and fair usage then if you haven't already been regraded you can jump the queue and pay £14.99 for an immediate (within 7 days) regrade.

MaxDSL and IPStream 2000 are in part one and the same. The first part of the regrades (up to 2Mbps) will then allow the faster speeds to emerge from it.

Let me try and explain that better. The initial selection of customers to get faster than 2Mbps will be people currently on 2Mbps (i.e. IPStream Home 2000 or Office 2000). The product won't be altered, but their speeds will increase. Come August we'll see a full product launch, there won't need to be another mass regrade to "IPStream Max", there will be some mechanism to allow IPStream 2000 customers move to IPStream Max. Exactly how is wait and see at the moment.
N/A

Thanks for the rapid reply Ian (edit) and Dave.

To clarify, I later raised a ticket about the whole "when do we get the upgrade" thing, and I got the correct "dunno, when BT get round to it" response. It was just over the phone that I was told 1st April, and that CS rep did admit to being as confused as me about the whole new product thing!
Ianwild
Grafter

Didn't catch said persons name did you?

Did they have to look up your account details on the same call?

Ian
N/A

What part, if any, does the PlusNet supplied modems play in all this? Will they be able to cope with speeds up to 8Mbps?
N/A

Hehe, I knew that was coming! Unfortunately this is something I always forget to do (my bad, I know). Especially as I was calling up just for general info and clarification on the new changes and not because of a problem, I wasn't particularly careful. I don't believe the account was accessed during the call.

Please don't get me wrong, this is NOT a complaint, I just thought I'd give you guys a heads up...
N/A

What part, if any, does the PlusNet supplied modems play in all this? Will they be able to cope with speeds up to 8Mbps?

Most new modems can suport upto and above 8Mb. It shouldnt be a concern except on quite old modems.

Please don't get me wrong, this is NOT a complaint, I just thought I'd give you guys a heads up...

The CSC is certainly aware, I will ensure another alert is sent round making sure people get told about the upgrades.

Regards,

Rich