cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confirmation on Gaming

N/A

Confirmation on Gaming

Hi all,

After moving into new accomodation at university I decided to have a broadband connection installed, and as I've been with plusnet at home I decided to stay with them. As a cheap student I thought i'd go for the cheap option, the £14.99 BB+ package, so thats what I did. Now , back at home, I have the old 512kpbs £17.99 connection which I must say, has been flawless. Connections to games has always been perfect, and downloads have been a solid 50-60 for the 2 years I've had it.

With this new connection however, the pings to games have been appaling non stop, normally at 60 but spiking to 600+ almost constantly between 5-9. Even when the ping is acting stable at 60ish, the game still feels laggy and its not enjoyable at all.

I'm writing this post just to ask a few questions: Is this normal for all BB+ users? If so, and I DID decide to stay with Plusnet, would upgrading to premier make my connection perfect as I was used to? And, if not, how can I leave plusnet, as this is really all I use my connection for.

Thanks in advance

Dave
6 REPLIES
andy020
Grafter

Confirmation on Gaming

yes the premier is better for gaming my ping can get as low as 10 on some servers so mate i would upgrade if i was you m8. Generally all times
N/A

Confirmation on Gaming

Sometimes its alright, but check out the numerous other threads about extreme lag in gaming with plusnet, using both BB+ and premier accounts.
willhome
Grafter

Confirmation on Gaming

to be honest gaming should be in as one main things to keep good connections. with the VOIP, email etc. and something like email doesnt matter if u ahve 489ping but gaming high ping is hell
N/A

Confirmation on Gaming

Thanks for the replies, can anyone else help out with the questions? : )
N/A

Confirmation on Gaming

Hi David,

Can you post a tracert to the server you are experiencing the problem with.
Also it would be worth running a BT Speed Test to eliminate or identify a possible exchange contention issue.
N/A

Re: Confirmation on Gaming

I'm writing this post just to ask a few questions: Is this normal for all BB+ users? If so, and I DID decide to stay with Plusnet, would upgrading to premier make my connection perfect as I was used to? And, if not, how can I leave plusnet, as this is really all I use my connection for.

Can't reallly speak for BB+ users about the stability of their gaming connections. I will say this though as a Premier Customer.

Ping rates online are generally good, this does not mean they are stable. Recent months lag has been a common thing whilst playing online. See this thread:
https://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=35615&highlight=

I am not sure if as a student you should switch to Premier. If you play online perhaps the Pay as You Go may be a better option for your money.