Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Concern over progress with Question 21573698 on speed

Bookman
Grafter

Good morning,
I have had a question (2157369Cool open with PN since 22nd March concerning the speed of my connection and I'm getting concerned about progress. PN have responded quickly to my comments in this long, ongoing issue but response seems to have slowed down now. We've already been round in circles a couple of times, and had two BT engineers involved, and I'm worried we might just start another circle.

I think one of the reasons we seem to go in circles is that so many different PN staff have "replied to my replies". This makes for a quick response but sometimes leads to covering the same ground. My line seems to be capped at 2 Mbps and BT have said it is up to PN to change it. PN seemed, at least in the early stages, to be saying it is up to BT. Now it's gone quiet and I'm waiting for an update from PN. I thought it might be worthwhile airing the issue more widely here to draw on other members' experience (i.e. I'm not complaining about PN, just trying to maximise the input of help!).

I migrated in during March from an ISP where I had an account on which I paid for a 2 Mbps connection and I'm now on a PN 8 Mbps Teleworker account. I have a couple of PCs running Linux and with a Speedtouch 510 router (the latter bought from my previous ISP).

I still get the following on the BT Speedtester:
IP profile for your line is - 2000 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 7616 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 1819 kbps

There is nothing wrong with my lines, filters etc. BT said PN needed to remove the "cap" in the exchange using their software. I assume by this they mean change the bRAS profile. In fact, on 30th March, PN staff commented in my Question:
"Fault was passed back in awaiting appt. Spoke to agent at BT and advised this is a bRAS issue and no engineer needed. Will action and pass back to us."

On 6th April I got: "The BT profile in the exchange has now been lifted to just over 7mb, in line with your sync speed. Your Plusnet account profile has been set to 8mb. This should mean that all is working correctly now, please can you advise if this is not the case?"

But it was still less than 2 Mbps on the BT speedtester and still saying my IP profile was 2 Mbps. I've had the router switched off several times at PN's request but still with no improvement.

Finally I was asked: "If you still experience speed issues please reply with three newly completed speedtests done 30 minutes apart." I did this on the BT speedtester and sent the results on Tuesday, 10th April. I have asked for an update but not received one at the time of writing.

Any help would be gratefully received! Smiley
9 REPLIES
Bookman
Grafter

Since I wrote the above post the following was was added to my Question by PN:

"We have re-escalated the fault with BT and they are currently investigating."

Whether it's coincidence or not, it's good to know something is happening! Smiley
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,

The bRAS profile is set by BT Wholesale, and cannot be changed manually from our side.

We do see this problem from time to time, although it should not take 2 engineers and then more chasing from you to fix it.

We have today raised a new fault to BT, and have clarified the situation further to them. Please let me know if you don't have a resolution by Monday and I'll give them a call and have a gentle word! Smiley
Bookman
Grafter

The bRAS profile is set by BT Wholesale, and cannot be changed manually from our side. We do see this problem from time to time, although it should not take 2 engineers and then more chasing from you to fix it.

Thanks for the help and moral support, Mand! It gets to a point where you end up metaphorically banging your head against a wall - but then, if it continues for long, it becomes literally head-banging! The BT engineers have been adamant that only PN could make the required adjustment.

I've seen people on the forum mention having to contact BT themselves and I was wondering if it would end up with me having to do this too. :shock:
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,

We seem to be encountering more problems with this sort of thing since BTW/Openreach changed the fault process a little while ago, and it's something we're feeding back to them at a higher level.

Hopefully the new fault will generate a better response, as there is no room for confusion this time around so I'd say see how it goes.

Contacting BTW as an end user is likely to really get the steam coming out of your ears, as it is very much a brick wall most of the time!

Gimme a nudge on Monday and I'll see where we're at, there is not likely to be much progress before then TBH (expected first response on a fault is around 24-48 hours).
N/A

The only reason a user should need to contact BT themselves is in the event of a line fault, usually noise on the line. The reason users need to contact BT themselves in these circumstances is that voice faults are dealt with by different parts of BT than those who provide Broadband Infrastructre, and PlusNet have no direct contact with them.

The bRAS profile is set by BT at the exchange and PlusNet have absolutely no control over it. See here for a useful article on the subject.

The only time PlusNet are able to change profiles is if the PlusNet High Speed Broadband profile and BT Speedtester IP Profile don't match, this does sometimes happen if the router is left on when MaxDSL upgrades are completed, and the Delta report isn't generated or received by PlusNet.
Bookman
Grafter

Mand, thanks for the extra details.

From my experience with this issue I wonder if the way PN staff deal with Questions (at least those that continue for some days) might be improved by having each question allocated to one or other CS person as an ongoing responsibility. I know that you can't restrict a question to being answered by only one person, but it might be better nevertheless if each question had the equivalent of a "mentor" - i.e. someone who would make regular checks.

Then, comments on the question could get answered by whoever is available but there would still be one person who had ultimate responsibility and would make sure the customer was updated and the work was progressing at a satisfactory rate.

I get the impression that at the moment a complicated question can go around in circles because there is no single person whocan remember what it was all about - and they don't want to have to read all the many comments and replies in the thread (not surprisingly!).

Peter
Bookman
Grafter

The only time PlusNet are able to change profiles is if the PlusNet High Speed Broadband profile and BT Speedtester IP Profile don't match, this does sometimes happen if the router is left on when MaxDSL upgrades are completed, and the Delta report isn't generated or received by PlusNet.

Thanks for the clarification. I have read James Bailey's information and other useful guides on the PN site and elsewhere. The situation you describe in the quote above sounds like it might apply to my problem. PN have said: "The profile that should be applied to your line will cap at 7000kbps or at least that is what we are showing on your account details". But the BT speedtester shows IP profile 2000kbps (as do other speed testers including PN's).

Peter
N/A

Looking at that, the delta report senario does not apply in this case- BT will have to adjust your IP Profile based on your sync speeds over a period of days. There's nothing PlusNet can do.

This thread may be helpful.
Bookman
Grafter

Please let me know if you don't have a resolution by Monday and I'll give them a call and have a gentle word! Smiley

On Friday evening there was a further response to my Question:
"BT have now reset your line profile, this is showing as 7mb. Please can you disconnect and reconnect the service and let us know if you are still having the same slow speed issues?" I did this but still got the same slow speed.

I could not confirm what IP profile BT said the line now is because every time I tried their speed tester it gave me "Test Error". But this morning (Monday) I have managed to get a successful test - and it is the same as above:
IP profile for your line is - 2000 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 7616 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 1824 kbps

So there is still no change! I have replied to the Question with this data and asked "How is it that PN says it shows as 7000 but the speed tester shows it as 2000?" I really cannot understand what is going on here - PN have said several times now that they have told BT to change the IP profile but BT appears not to have done so. It's very frustrating!
Cry