cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Complete outage 28/07/06

N/A

Complete outage 28/07/06

Did anyone else suffer a complete ADSL outage today? I've only just connected for the first time today and I've been trying since 9am this morning!!!

Was fine last night around 11.30pm when I last used it, although I think I lost conn about midnight but wasn't bothered and switched off and went to bed.

There was nothing on PN's service status phone line today about any outage except a message from 10.30pm last night saying some authentication problem had been fixed.

I logged my problem on the phone at around 12pm but, of course, PN CS have yet to get back to me. :roll:

This is the 3rd complete long lasting (longer than a couple of hours) outage I've suffered in the last 2 weeks and this camel's back is about to break. These incidents, an incorreect VMBU mesurement and bad gaming pings since I was put on LLU have now made me lose any confidence I had in PN (and I've only been here 5 months!). I see a MAC code request coming very soon...
20 REPLIES
N/A

no adsl link

I also had no connectivity from sometime late 27th to early 28th - after successful usage earlier on 27th. Tried everything with no success - gave up and went awya to do something else and by midday today (28th) it is all back as it should be. I can't see how this is a problem at my end - especially with other users having similar problems. I have an open ticket but don't think it will get anywhere as there is no facility to ask questions without them testing the line - which is OK at the moment.
jfr
N/A

Complete outage 28/07/06

I've just received a email stating "we have now successfully moved your broadband service to our alternative broadband network", so I'm assuming I've been moved to this lovely Tiscali LLU everyone is talking about...

Strangely enough, my adsl was dead for most of yesterday, and has been down for about 20 minutes today (of which I've noticed, no idea if it's been down whilst I've not been using it)

It's now falling into place as to why.

I never had a single disconnection before I got forcibly moved Sad
passer
Grafter

Complete outage 28/07/06

This seems to be a recurrent theme for those on LLU. PlusNet are non-responsive on this issue, presumably because they don't know what Tiscali are up to at any given time.

If a company like Tiscali are on an aggressive rollout schedule, their engineers, whether software or hardware, will be adopting a JFDI approach to life, and won't be too bothered about observing the niceties, such as maintaining connectivity, while they install and tune new infrastructure.

Not really much PlusNet can do about it, it's part of the tradeoff that comes with the unbundling - dodgy service until the exchange is completed and configured, and then hopefully stability, and an end to the problems.
N/A

LLU

How do you know if you've been 'moved to LLU'?
jfr
passer
Grafter

Complete outage 28/07/06

1. Your connection yo-yos and drops.
2. When it comes back your DL speeds are all over the place and your upload speed shows as 800.
3. It eventually stabilises (might be several weeks) and your DL speed is higher than before and your UL speed is 800.
4. You get an email from PlusNet telling you that you're going to be moved to an alternate provider from BT.

Usually in that order, from what I've read on here!
N/A

Complete outage 28/07/06

My connection was out most of yesterday evening and it was back this morning. It has now been out since 8pm again today. Could be my modem packing up though. Maybe the thunderstorms blew something.

I can still use the network to view files though
N/A

Complete outage 28/07/06

doubt it, I'd say it was the bt/tiscali crap, not your modem. I'm not blaming pn... yet... (well, maybe for the forceful move!)
N/A

Outage

My experience seems to be the same as others - big coincidence!
As far as I'm aware I shouldn't have any hardware problems (3 months OEM and otherwise working OK) so it does seem to be an 'ISP/Line' problem. How do you tell which. I'm only querying why - if LLU refers to Local changes at exchanges - there should be coincidences (unless we are on the same exchange). Also where does Tiscali come into the equation - I'm on a BT line.
passer
Grafter

Complete outage 28/07/06

Tiscali are the alternative supplier that PlusNet uses. Tiscali are installing LLU in exchanges nationwide and providing broadband services over BT lines.
As for coincidence, three of my friends on PlusNet and all at the same exchange experienced these problems all at the same time a week or so ago. All got their connections back at the same time after about 4 days. All had been moved to LLU. One had previously opted out of LLU, but now has a superior speed to previously and isn't pursuing it.

They're all waiting for their emails.... Smiley
N/A

Complete outage 28/07/06

Please can we not turn this into a 'Have I been moved to LLU' thread as there are numerous others on that subject. :roll:

I asked my question only because I was out for nearly 24 hours and yet there was no PN service status notice about it or many comments on the fourm so just wanted to know if the outage I suffered was PN-wide or restricted to my LLU exchange, or just to my line only...

It's frustrating when you have a long outage and cannot connect to the net (I have no dial-up modem) to find out what is wrong and PN CS don't answer your messages within a reasonable time (as over over 24 hours since leaving my message I have still not been contacted).

One idea I've had is that people can use this forum to find 'exchange buddies' - people on PN in their area using the same exchange. That way if you have an outage you can contact your buddy to see if they have the same or are ok. That way you might be able to find out if the problem lies either with the exchange (as I'm sure mine did yesterday) or your own equipment/line.

If anyone wants to start the ball rolling I'm on the Northolt exchange in West London...
retep
Grafter

Complete outage 28/07/06

I had an outage from mid afternoon 27th to at least 9am on the 28th, it was working by about 4pm on the 28th

Seems to widespread to be LLU for everyone I am in Bristol. I had assumed it was the MinDSL downgrade.

Modem seemed to be working fine with tx/rx light flashing every time I sent and the ADSL light was solid just no response.
retep
Grafter

Complete outage 28/07/06

sbridle: sorry didn't mean to ignore your suggestion, why don't you post it as a new thread I will add my details there, its a good idea.
N/A

complete outage

timing agrees with mine (see above) - I'm Richmond North Yorks so no local connection and not an 'exchange' issue as was mooted. Does this mean absolutely everyone was down or is there some other 'grouping' like the sub-sets of IP address which provides a commonality for a geographically separate group of users to be affected AND if so why don't PN know about it and advise us of the fact that there have been 'system outages' so everyone isn't chasing mythical problems with their own setup or trying to work throught the labyrinthine 'tool'?

How do we get PN to notice such an idea - there doesn't seem to be any easy way to 'get to' the PN service organisation.
newinvention
Grafter

Complete outage 28/07/06

My ADSL connection has been off and on for the last week during the day. It's a lot less stable than ISDN ... though I don't think I'd want to go back to that even so. Is it the weather conditions - leaves on the line, perhaps? ..... I haven't been LLu'd (still not entirely sure what that means) as far as I know ... well I know I haven't since our exchange hasn't been upgraded to the faster speed ... we're out in the sticks here and glad of any connection.