Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Complaint with BT/PlusNet

henderson1977
Grafter

Sequence of events:

19-07-05: PlusNet 2MB Premier ADSL Service activated and working fine for 4 days.
23-07-05: ADSL no longer working. I used my experience as a 2nd & 3rd line IT Support Engineer to troubleshoot my equipment, etc... to no avail.
24-07-05: PlusNet Support talked me through all the same troubleshooting steps, again no joy, except that I was told that they would investigate further, etc...
02-08-05: After days of "testing and "re-testing", BT admit to PlusNet that they "ceased my line in error" but, PlusNet promised that my line would be reactivated sooner than for a new customer (i.e. 7-10 days). This period of time expired on Friday 12-08-05 and I am still without my ADSL line.
11-08-05: PlusNet chased BT for another update. BT informed them that there is no capacity at my local BT Exchange and that I will have to wait until someone leaves to free a line (MY line!) or BT upgrade the Exchange capacity (not likely this year!).
14-08-05: I rang BT but their Supervisor was not interested in the BT reference number given to me by PlusNet. He said I would not receive an update from BT because it is a "BT Wholesale issue, who are ONLY ISP facing". I understand this, but this is extremely frustrating when I know PlusNet are not stressing the urgency of my case to them enough. PlusNet need to stress to BT Wholesale their own faults, the first being the "cease", the second allowing a situation where this is now no capacity on the BT Exchange. PlusNet need BT to either upgrade the BT Exchange or free MY line (the one I used for 4 days!) as a matter of urgency! Due to no other explanation offered to date, I feel strongly that MY line was maliciously disconnected and given to a new customer, perhaps a BT Broadband customer!
15-08-05: PlusNet Support advised that this is one of the worst cases he had ever seen. He said he would continue to freeze payments until my line is reinstated and that he would chase his own colleagues to prioritise my case considering the situation. I await to hear from PlusNet. I just hope they listen to me, their customer, and do the right thing by stressing the urgency of my case to BT Wholesale due to their incompetence. PlusNet advised me to open another ticket to log my complaint to speed up the proceedings. I have done this, but I am sceptical. Prove me wrong PlusNet!

Tickets 17106075 and 17130941 prove interesting reading...

OfCom say my issue must be oustanding for a minimum of 12 weeks (?!) before they can help. I think this is unacceptable and unsuppotive of such an organisation.

My ADSL line was activated and working for 4 days, then my line was "ceased" and has been for over 23 days now and counting...

Evil
49 REPLIES
N/A

BT Muppetts Ivan

Hello henderson1977,

Sincerely sorry! to read your posting, and YES!! its about as bad they gets. This story just goes to proove what a complete load of MUPPETS BT are, sounds like organised chaos. Sounds like the left hand doesnt know what the right is doing.

**YES!! I can confirm that if your NOT a BT yahoo or BT openworld ISP customer then getting updates from BT is like trying to squeeze blood out of a stone.

**BT ISP customers definately get some sort of higher priority when it comes to fixing faults but in your case the *uck up is definately with BT who are obviously not admitting its their fault things got messed up in the second instance.

**I'm an ex IT professional too, I have over 12 years in computing but had enough of working with muppetts!! and crap employers who pay peanuts. I dumped IT as a career it sucks big time if you ask me (but I'm cynical sorry!!). Hope your experience is better than mine.

Ivan
--------------------------------------------------
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
F9 Broadband Premier 2MB User
Your Forum, Make Your Voice Count!
Spuddy
Grafter

Re: Complaint with BT/PlusNet

I feel strongly that MY line was maliciously disconnected and given to a new customer, perhaps a BT Broadband customer!

From my experiences of BTW that sounds very likely.
Community Veteran

This is a very bad case. I can imagine PlusNet have done all they can and they will be tracking your issue. However there is very little they can do.

From BT's prospective, they've ceased your line, so its not a fault. They will reprovide when they can. From thier prospective thats all they will do, to them its all cut and dry and they really dont care whatso ever about 1 little customer. Unfortunate but thats BT. I used to work for BT and I know what they are like especially over things like this where they dont have an SLA or anything.

Chris
N/A

OfCom, OfWat. They are all the same. Quangos and the answer is in their abbreviation. OfCom are the lot who allowed BT to increase line rental by about 10% for those of us who were intelligent enough to use other suppliers for calls. Talk about muppets, thats half the description!! :lol: :lol:
N/A

I suggest seeking remidy under the Goods & Services Act (provided you are a consumer).

The service is supposed to be provided without any interfearance (within the technical specifications and physical bounries of the product).

Ceasing a line in error is one such action they are not allowed to do.

I suggest legal advice though, as you contract is not strictly with BT (but PlusNet), thus BT may not be liable directly.
N/A

That is correct your contract is with Plusnet so they should provide compensation/solution and take the matter to BT to resolve.

It means that PN should therefore take whatever action (legal if necc.) to resolve the problem and get your line reinstated....but don't hold your breath.

As Plusnet (I believe) have a meeting with BT wholsale today about 4MB/8MB upgrades they can speak directly to a representive of BT about your problem (and others too) rgardless of whether it is on the agenda or noy!
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

I'm really sorry that this has happened, unfortunately though until the capacity issue at your exchange is resolved there is little we can do. Looking through the case your order is at the top of the queue at your exchange and will be expediated as soon as there's a free line card. Which either means someone cancelling or an upgrade being done on the exchange.

I can confirm that the monthly subscription you've already paid will be credited once the service is activated and the provisions guys will be checking the order regularly to see if there's any movement and to try and find a date.
N/A

Ceasing a line in error is one such action they are not allowed to do.

Dave,

As Acarr has said BT are not allowed to do the above so what is PN going to do about it.?

Just saying there is nothing you can do isn't an answer - are you not going to take action against BT over this? At the very least it should be reported to the regulators.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

It will have been raised with BT Wholesale to find out why it was ceased and ensure there isn't a repeat. The "nothing I can do" is regarding reactivating the line.
henderson1977
Grafter

Dave, I have to agree with dgkimber.

BT Wholesale have ceased my line in error, but my contract is with PlusNet who have an obligation to provide me with a broadband service.

While I have had no broadband service from PlusNet, I have mounted a dial-up bill over the past 24 days. PlusNet should provide me with full compensation for this dial-up bill at the very least. Of course, if PlusNet implemented my suggestion to offer a freephone dial-up service, then this would eliminate the need for a customer to chase PlusNet for this. If PlusNet want to provide good customer service, they would offer this service as standard.
vic_newey
Grafter

Presumably someone else now has his line ? Is it not expected that BT should apologise to this other customer & return the line to its rightful owner ? What priority did this other customer have to have allowed this, a friend at the local exchange perhaps
N/A

It will have been raised with BT Wholesale to find out why it was ceased and ensure there isn't a repeat. The "nothing I can do" is regarding reactivating the line.

Surley if a formal complaint or legal action is threatened then the "pressure" applied would ensure that BT upgrade the exchange as a priority to increase the capacity. I am sure that BT have workarounds should formal complaints be made to the right people.

Is it not in fact a breach of contract? I agree PN should compensate in monatary terms the user and PN can in term claim this back off BT (using legal procedures if needed).
Geoff
Grafter

My son has had a similar problem with BT.

His Broadband ceased to work one day so he rang his ISP (Wanadoo) and after performing some tests, said to him "You must contact Microsoft!!! as your DIal Up Network (DUN) needs re-installing."

He rang me and we tried various things but to no avail. After ringing Wanadoo several more times, the support person said "Oh! Your line has been ceased"

He rang BT and asked why this had happened. It turns out that he had contacted BT about a week earlier, saying that he was taking over the line from his flatmate who was leaving. He confirmed that he wanted to keep the BB connection and was told that this would be ok.

BT finally admitted it was their fault, but it would take 7-10 days to re-instate BB.

He also got BT to say that they will refund him the connection charge that Wanadoo will bill him because BT will charge Wanadoo a re-connection fee.

BT are numpties!

Geoff
N/A

i juat cant believe plusnet are saying there's nothing they can do about this...if i was u i would seek legal advice because i am sure there is something they can do they just dont want to upset bt