Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Competition Broadband pricing

Nick_Russell
Grafter

I have no current axe to grind as I am a very low user, downloading less that 2G per month but I guess this might change with streaming video etc becoming available.

It seems to me PlusNet have lost the argument regarding capping. There have been endless posts involving economic and technical arguments, bad boys actually having the cheek to use a service they thought they had paid for, and lots of legal and Acceptable Use discussions. Why is 140 GB per month a Bad Boys amount?

A trawl of advertisements in the Sunday Times over the weekend revealed the following for 512k connections -

BT £17.99 1GB/month
Toucan £29.99 Unlimited inc phone line
AOL Gold £24.99 Unlimited
Demon £19.99 Unlimited (God forbid….I migrated from Demon)
Tiscali £24.99 Unlimited

To me the matter is a question of marketing not economics or technical. In the old dial-up days the BT Anytime product was supposed to give unlimited surfing. As far as I know nearly everyone offered this option with only BT itself limiting users to I think 150 hours a month (after if was advertised as “unlimited”)

The broadband connection seems to be heading in a similar direction. When broadband first came out it was trailed as an “always on, unlimited connection”. Now some ISPs (see above) are able to do this no matter what PlusNet say in other posts about this being unsustainable, cannot last, uneconomic etc.

As a user I am not interested in technical problems and I don’t care if a very few users (0.3%?) use a lot of bandwidth - I just want the basic broadband offering - “always on, unlimited connection”. I don’t want to watch my downloads to see if I’m approaching the next band for charging.

Some suggestions.

1) I do not think it unreasonable for 512k connections (maybe more for 1 and 2 MB) that 1GB per day be allowed and the Lite product should only charge extra above this.

2) For the premium product have a high limit that is known and published. If PlusNet regard 140GB as a key figure then use this.

3) Above the limit either change to Bad Boys Pipe or maybe give the option for high users of a truly unlimited service at a higher cost.

Any comments welcome
16 REPLIES
lhorwath
Grafter

Hi there,

We do not have a cap and we do not want to add one. The managed platform has some guidelines on what we feel is acceptable usage for the customers to get off it.

As a company we are often leading the way in technological advances so you will see the exercise we implemented will be taken on by other ISPs and they may change their products because of it.

We will continue to review different stratergies going forward from this.
the_norris
Grafter

Would you be able to publish these guidelines here?

Phil
N/A

AOL claim they will never ever impose any limitations on the amount you can download. If this is true surely they will end up with all the custom?
N/A

Presumably the guidelines will be as clear as the 'how not to end up in the BBP' guidelines were!

That will clear things up (Not)
LiamM
Grafter

I'm sure that the Tiscali 512k service is capped at 15GB.
N/A

AOL is awful.

I think it's worth considering the whole package that you get with Plus Net, not just the price. You can pay the lowest price and get really bad service and no CS, at least with Plus Net you have the pretty good service all round, and Good CS levels.

Aaron
N/A

example from customer service

2004-12-05
16:01:17 Comment By: You
[Support Wizard Journey]
[Wizard NOT followed]
[Connect Problem]
[Customer did not raise this query using a fault wizard. If there is information missing from the fault template return the ticket to the customer stating what further information is required]
[Additional Information]
Hi could you please review my usage again and reply before you charge my account, and if you do keep me on the managed platform can you tell me if i can be charged the amount a 56k dial up would be charged instead. If not can you tell me why im paying £40 for a slow line. Please no sarcasm as im aware why i am on the managed platform. Open
2004-12-06
07:53:12 Comment By: Removed
Customer Support Centre Dear Customer,
We do not yet have enough new data to decide whether you can be moved off the managed pipe.
We will be looking for one month's modified usage.
We apologise if you were given a false impression of when this would be done.
Regards,
Removed Actioned
2004-12-06
10:49:59 Comment By: You
Please tell me the exact date of when you have enough data and what will i be charged. Open
2004-12-06
15:00:57 Comment By: Removed

We will examine your case after one month of being on the managed platform.

Regards,
Removed Actioned
2004-12-06
23:06:45 Comment By: You
please answer my question Open
2004-12-07
08:35:53 Comment By: Removed

As mentioned above, we will examine this matter again after thirty days. So that would be on or after the 21st of December. We would therefore suggest you raise the issue again at this time.

Regards,
Removed Actioned
2004-12-07
12:45:33 Comment By: You
that is one question answered, now are you going to bill me £40 for this low line? Open
Email Notification status: On

Edit by Luke: Please do not quote Customer Support Agent names
N/A

Yes AOL is generally awful. In the world of 56k i would have never touched it with a barge pole. However, ADSL is ADSL. Its a wholesale product and cannot vary too much from ISP to ISP. As long as they dont force you to use their crappy software, what could be so bad about it? They have the fundage to support many many users and let them download as much as they like because they are a household name amongst 90% of the (less tech literate) population, and for every single 300GB/month user they could have 600 1-8GB/month users..

surana, isnt the sub 56k speeds an issue currently under investigation?
lhorwath
Grafter

Hi surana,

Your monthly subscription fees will apply as we have not changed your service only applied contention to it.
N/A

cool an answer, no speeds are not underinvestigation, they say these are the speeds we pay for so put up or piss off.
Nick_Russell
Grafter

Are Plusnet still saying their charging method is the only business model that makes sense and all other ISPs are wrong and will eventually move to capping?

I think AOL are big enough to stick to what they publish.

See latest advert

http://www.aol.co.uk/products/broadband/unlimited/index.html

If PlusNet can't compete with the big boys maybe they should move to a lower division
painswck
Grafter

And have you noticed that they are advertising even more on the tv at the moment pushing the unlimited.

Roland
N/A

Yea, thats what drew my attention to it.

How ironic it will be if all the internet savvy heavy downloading peeps all end up on AOL by the end of next year!
glloyd
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Yes also notice the small print at the bottom of the add 'Terms and conditions apply'

And have you noticed that they are advertising even more on the tv at the moment pushing the unlimited.

Roland