cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Compensation from Plus regarding Usenet

N/A

I recommend all Plus Customers to ask for compensation from Plus, because we as Plus customers are paying them for a certain bandwidth. They cannot provide this bandwidth when connecting to Usenet, using there sever or external severs. Most of you should be getting speeds of approximately 8 Kbps which is outrageous, when we are paying for 2 Meg. They have had this problem (More like restriction until they sort out Usenet protocol) for the past 2 months and it seems to be for a long time to come.

So on the above basis ask this PATHETIC ISP for your money back.
11 REPLIES
N/A

I don't know whats changed, but I am actually downloading headers (from plusnets news server) with one connection at 80kb/s. Unheard of in the evening peak. They have announced that 15gb of usenet traffic will be moved into the silver que soon. I am waiting to see what happens then. You are right though, its been way below acceptable recently.
Spuddy
Grafter

What's usenet?
N/A

Netnews is a kind of online service that shares articles between a group of computers over a network. One kind of netnews is called usenet. Usenet was in use before the Internet and is still very active today. Usenet provided a way for people to write articles on many different topics and share them with people all over the world. It is different from the web because articles are sent to all the computers in the community. An article on a webserver stays on one computer until a person gets it with their web browser.

Still trundling along at about 15KB/s.
N/A

Re: Compensation from Plus regarding Usenet

Most of you should be getting speeds of approximately 8 Kbps which is outrageous, when we are paying for 2 Meg. They have had this problem (More like restriction until they sort out Usenet protocol) for the past 2 months and it seems to be for a long time to come.

So on the above basis ask this PATHETIC ISP for your money back.

If your connection to the news server is that slow, then maybe you should be raising a ticket?

You have to remember that with newservers it's very easy to take up all your bandwidth and keep it downloading like that for hours, given that in some cases it can be worse than P2P Traffic. While I don't 100% agree with all this traffic shaping, I can understand why they've done it.

As for asking for your money back, do you use your connection for anything else?
N/A

No disrespect to you but you have no idea how an internet company like an ISP is run, they have all corners covered in their legal T&C's:-

12. Repairing faults in the Service

12.1 Although we attempt to provide you with the best possible Service, we cannot guarantee that the Service will never be faulty. We shall use our reasonable endeavours to correct all reported faults as soon as is reasonably possible.

No ISP I know guarantee's a service level unless of course your a business customer, business customers usually get the same service as a home customer but with a service level agreement hence the higher cost.

If you want compensation then take out a business account.
N/A

What's usenet?
The Wiki is your friend Wink
N/A

If you want compensation then take out a business account.

There is no SLA or compensation available with a Plus Net business account, the same applies to most ISP's.

If only there were. As for the higher cost, we'll not go there. Smiley
N/A

PlusNet is crap!

I am very pissed off with the speeds of the Usenet. I mean I am paying for something but am getting some really low speeds. I have seen it downloading at about 180KBS on a 2.2MB line but now it is running at about 80KBS. I raised a ticket and Plusnet say that usenet is a free service and that they are doing all they can to resolve the speed issues.
Well, it shouldn't take 2 months to sort out the problem?? Tech support is also crap. They just say they do not know. I would love to see the CVs of these tech support people! See how much bullshit is on them.
N/A

Tech support is also crap. They just say they do not know. I would love to see the CVs of these tech support people! See how much <a href="http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/faq.php#1">[censored]</a> is on them.

Attacks on staff credability are not on, you don't know what your talking about and you don't work for Plus Net. Yes, moan about the service but don't target the staff.

Yes the usenet sevice isn't what it should be, but hopefully things will improve. If you really serious about usenet, then I would suggest you pay for a service dedicate to that particular task, and remember the phrase, "jack of all trades, master of none"
N/A

@ satpanesar

Ditto Aarons comments.

Please keep your posts factual and contsructive. Wild allegations and attacks on individuals or groups are not welcome on these boards.

Your are more than welcome to provide feedback provided it is reasoned and within the rules of these forums.
mike001
Grafter

Yes the usenet sevice isn't what it should be, but hopefully things will improve. If you really serious about usenet, then I would suggest you pay for a service dedicate to that particular task, and remember the phrase, "jack of all trades, master of none"

Mmm I do pay £60 a year for a service dedicate to that particular task and having it restricted to slower speeds after you have reached 15gigs is not on

If usernet is causing that much of a problems then restrict +net servers to 1 connection and reduce the speeds but for god sake leave the people that pay for a service out side of +net alone