cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Communication at last

N/A

Communication at last

Have finally been emailed by PN, stating that if we continue paying the same monthly subscription i.e. £29.99 we could in future be able to support 4mb.

Is there anywhere that could give me some possible timetable of when BT are going to pull there finger out and upgrade some exchanges that are in the back of the beyond, or in our case sunny Blackpool.

This is a bit of a shock as we have just signed up with Griffin for our second 2mb ADSL line. What a waste!!!
15 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Communication at last

So - is it fair to assume:

29:99 = old 1Mb/s = FUP 50Gb = New 4Mb/s
39.99 = old 2Mb/s = FUP 70Gb = New 8Mb/s?

Huh
N/A

Communication at last

Not a clue, we have only just got an email.

Stating that in future we could have up to 4mb connectivity, or we can change to £21.99 2mb connection for free from the 28th April.
Community Veteran

Communication at last

Yes, I know

I'm just speculating.

However, I suspect that if I am right, the plusnet offering will be expensive compared with the competitors.

Hopefully prices will come down between now and the service going live.
N/A

Communication at last

To be honest, I do mind paying more if the service is reliable and we have the possibility of upgrades for free!!!
Ommin
Grafter

Communication at last

If your line supports 4MB then there is always the chance it will support up to 8MB but it looks as though you will have to pay for that upgrade if you want it.

[Moderator's note by Liam Martin (martinfamily): Full quote of preceeding post removed as it is not needed.]
N/A

Communication at last

I dont mind paying 39.99 for an 8mb line, as long as 2 things happen

1 PN decide something and stick to it

2 The "cap" (I know its not a cap as such) is not stupidly low
N/A

Communication at last

Thats the problem, stuck in what could be classed as the sticks I think it may be a while before our exchange supports 4mb or even greater.
N/A

Communication at last

well I am definatley stuffed then,
LiamM
Grafter

Communication at last

All BT exchanged should support 8Mb when MaxDSL is rolled out from September... It's then just about how far from your exchange you are...
N/A

Communication at last

Cheers Liam, we are about 1.2km from our exchange so lets hope thats not too far.
N/A

Communication at last

Trials for 4/8Mb have just begun so it will be many months before the roll-out, and if you're out in the sticks you will get it later assuming that your line will handle it at all. Whatever you do don't carry on paying £29.99 instead of £21.99 in the hope that it will happen. Downgrade for free and even if you have to pay an upgrade fee you will be quids in.
LiamM
Grafter

Communication at last

Yes, thats true. By downgrading to £21.99 you'll save nearly £20 in the first month, thats more than the upgrade fee should you need to upgrade later.

The rollout for MaxDSL is due to begin in September.
N/A

Communication at last

The question is, if you stay on £29.99, are PN going to give you a higher "cap" until you get new speed? If not then no one will stay on the more expensive packages as it is totally financial stupidity...so PN are going to have to give people who pay the extra £8 or £18 a month something extra until they do get faster speeds otherwise no one in their right mind will stay on it.....the question is what? Are they going to say "your download limit before contention kicks in will be higher?" If so....how few people will that actually apply to and worst of all...are they hoping some people will fall for it and think this is a good reason to stay on £29.99 when they only download a couple of gigs?

So basically unless PN offer something truly worth it for £29.99 and £39.99 customers....everyone will downgrade and PN will take a huge blow to profits....which we know they cannot do as "finance says no".....
N/A

Communication at last

Yep ill wait and see what PN have to say, whilst it would be good if PN did offer some incentive like higher download ratios for clients staying on the same subscription rate, that would just seem to much like the FUP all over again!!!