cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Come on be honest !

N/A

Come on be honest !

Is there ANYONE here that thinks they`ll stay with PN all the time this capping is in place, i dont think ive read one good thread about the good quality of their service, other than "well done for giving me my MAC key".

It`s funny that an ISP the made £8.8 Million profit in a year find it only fair to cap everyone in this crazy, cut - throat manner and keep us all in the dark when it was activated.

I for one will be leaving, even if normal "fast" serviced does come back into play through PN, just out of being dealt a right joker of a card from good `ole PN

Laterz !!
15 REPLIES
N/A

Come on be honest !

Yes, me, I just returned from F2S, rubbish service compared to PN ;-)

Good to be back
N/A

Come on be honest !

Really? So F2S not to hot then? What was so bad about them? I know PN are being dragged through the mud at the mo, so why not hang em all out to dry,spill the beans boss Smiley

Moderators note by John (johnessex) Full quote of preceding post removed as per forum rules
N/A

Come on be honest !

Compared to the 30Gb Wanadoo Cap (this is per month with no off-peak and peak time differential) and the price PlusNet offer there is no comparison.

Of course a few people have got use to the uncapped service and what PlusNet have done does no benefit them, but in the next 6 months if you want something uncapped you will have to pay for it. Sure another provider may look tasty now but in the long run I cant see many offering uncapped services at the prices they offer now, esp. when 8MB rollsout for the majority of UK BB users.

Grass is always greener on the other side :!:
N/A

Come on be honest !

Blimey you`re a cheery old sole! Well if the future of internet is PAYG then i`d best hang up me mouse now and flush my head down the bog.

Moderators note by John (johnessex) Full quote of preceding post removed as per forum rules
N/A

Come on be honest !

@gunny

I was lucky to get a 1 mb connection at weekends and I can see the exchange from here Smiley (and some weekdays), CS was only 9-5 and if you emailed it took them 5 days to reply ! They have now been bought out by PIPEX, nuff said ;-)

12-11-2005 00:40:22 1906.6
11-11-2005 14:00:53 1898.5
11-11-2005 00:22:04 1881.9
10-11-2005 21:16:29 1790
09-11-2005 22:28:17 1877.9
09-11-2005 20:21:29 1887.1
30-10-2005 02:52:30 1905.8

More like it ;-)
N/A

Come on be honest !

Blimey you`re a cheery old sole! Well if the future of internet is PAYG then i`d best hang up me mouse now and flush my head down the bog.

lol, sorry for coming across as an old man - haha

Just the forums seem a little "angry" and it sort of forces other folk to respond as such, unintentionally of course :lol:

Everytime I have made a post though asking for help another 5 posts appear with people complaining about similar things already mentioned and it pushes the thread onto the second page where it goes unnoticed. Now I understand some folk are having a bad time, and I hope they get their problems sorted. But I feel maybe less threads about the same thing, no mod bashing threads or flaming threads would really help their situation.

If I was a PlusNet member of staff I wouldnt want to come near these forums at the moment, its like a witch hunt lol.
ceridwen
Grafter

Come on be honest !

Compared to the 30Gb Wanadoo Cap (this is per month with no off-peak and peak time differential) and the price PlusNet offer there is no comparison.

Of course a few people have got use to the uncapped service and what PlusNet have done does no benefit them, but in the next 6 months if you want something uncapped you will have to pay for it. Sure another provider may look tasty now but in the long run I cant see many offering uncapped services at the prices they offer now, esp. when 8MB rollsout for the majority of UK BB users.

For me, and many others, the issue is not the caps per se but the way that PN have introduced these changes, not only without notice but without informing the majority of their users (a policy which is legally dubious and morally indefensible). Talk of 99% not being affective is immaterial - this policy of PN not keeping customers informed destroys the trust between consumer and PN. What else might PN feel they can change without telling people. In addition, although PN have materially changed the contract to the customers detriment, they still expect those on 12 month contracts to pay penalties to terminate early - a policy many are prepared (rightfully) to legally challenge.

Over the summer PN implemented traffic shaping on a product described as having no traffic shaping - not only did they not notify customers in advance of this change, but even for a short while denied it on these forums! They did subsequently apologise. Actions speak louder than words though, but the way they implemented caps on premier without notice, without informing all customers and retrospectively applied them, and now introduce caps on usenet without notice etc. indicates just how hollow that apology was.

When I joined, PN would discuss changes with the user group and even on these forums before making a change, would often take comments into account giving the impression that PN wished to provide a service tailored to some degree to its customers rather than just shift a mass production commodity, and would e-mail all customers in advance and change the descriptions on the website in advance of making the change. This generated sometimes strong customer loyalty.

Now, the change is made first, only admitted in the forums afterwards when it is noticed, changed on the website over a month after the change, and never e-mailed to all customers!

This "keep 99% of customers in the dark" policy, has destroyed the customer loyalty PN once enjoyed and, not surprisingly, caused a strong backlash from those previously loyal customers. The change of tone in both these forums and ADSLGuide is indicative of this.

However, as yet there appears to be no remorse or intent to change from this "keep 99% of customers in the dark" policy.

Matthew
N/A

Come on be honest !

I am sure if PlusNet have done this cloak and dagger that Oftel or a consumer watchdog will be notified, this is what people should be doing rather than attacking the mods, and mainly just blocking up the support forum constantly.

I understand its annoying and I agree that they should just say "you can move for free to another ISP" if thats what people are having the issue with. But I also think that people should realise that the forums dont get as much attention from PlusNet Staff as the support tickets do or a phone call. The people who help here are the moderators and unfortunately they are as much in the dark as most of us.

I dont have the issue with why people are upset ceridwen, that is perfectly justified. But the mods are here on their own time helping folk out and the forum is for the community to help one another for issues that they either need resolving really fast but are not a major problem (such as a line fault).

I sort of see it like this. If Tony Blair annouces he is going to war again, where will people complain? Directly to the government, they wouldnt start going to their local police station and complaining heh. The forums are like the police station of PlusNet, where people can get help with any problem even if it isnt related to PlusNet but the police station doesnt make the rules and regulations and has no power over this.

Maybe the mods should consider making a new forum called "Recent PlusNet Changes" . Then move all the posts in there, that way this issue that has happened wont effect people who require help about other issues that could possibly be rectified on the forum. Whereas we all know that the current problems cannot be fixed on a forum when most of the posters are not PlusNet related.

Just my two-pennies heh
N/A

Re: Come on be honest !

Is there ANYONE here that thinks they`ll stay with PN all the time this capping is in place,

Me

I do an awful lot more than just e-mail and surf (in fact I very rarely surf at all),

I have been reading through these forums and see postings from some people who seem to give the impression that downloading stuff up to the limit wether it is needed or not is virtually compulsory.

But it may suprise a number of people that my use of the internet has not changed since my dial up days........ my data transfer has risen, but that is not because I have suddenly decided that because I have a 2Meg connection, unless I am downloding stuff 24/7 I am not using the internet properly.I do a lot of what may be considered a quaint old fashioned concept of using the internet to interact with real people in real time.Which is what I was doing in my dial up days.

In my dial up days that usually meant struggling to get a programme like "Bluewave" (anyone else on these forums remember that type of software) to connect to a "Bullitin board" so something reasonably ressembling real time chat could take place, because things like AIM, Yahoo Chat and MSN either did not excist or were very much in their infancy, and file transfer was an adventure in it's self.Then along came the early webcams before again AOL etc made those easy to use and on a good day line permitting I was able to get about 1 frame a second.For the privilege of getting that enjoyment ( and it was enjoyable) and use from from the internet I was paying BT £400+ a quarter in phone bills, and £90 per quarter to an ISP for my connection........ this was before 24/7 support was invented and if my ISP went down after 1700hrs on a Friday tough that was it nothing was going to get fixed till after 0900hrs the following Monday.

Now for about 5% of that cost my converencing now happens at almost three quarters screen at between 20-24 frames per second with almost perfect voice sync.

Yesterday (Friday) for example I had a video converence with an astronomer in Australia, one in Japan, 4 in North America, a look through a telescope in Arizona, and a look through another one in New Mexico....... a 6 way chat with some friends in Canada, and a lengthy discussion on Chess tactics including use of whiteboard with an opponent in Brazil. This is pretty typical of my daily usage because of world time differences there is always someone I can video conference with,They usually have to remind me to to it off when I am using voice but I usually have http://www.loudcity.net/stations/RadioFreeColorado/default.htm which I find to be a high quality online radio station playing in the background.My usage this month......... slightly over halfway through my billing period 3.75Gb. Oops! I almost forgot my email programme is checking email every 15 minutes, I am also subscribed to about 50 newsgroups a few of which are binary groups....... then there are my astronomy programmes that require frequent updates.So all in all I keep quite busy on the internet.

So if anyone should feel I am not using the internet correctly please tell me what I need to be downloading 24/7 to use it correctly but please keep in mind I have a Mac so Linux ISO's are no use to me niether are Windows updates or service packs. Movie trailers that I am interested in I can usuall find on the relevant Studio Website, and have very little interest in the latest episodes of a American TV programme so it does not seem to much left of interest or use to me in the legal realms......;.... so what else is there?

So the bottom line is I feel am getting good value for money........ can fully appreciate it when Plusnet say 99% use 10GB or less per month.I don't feel I have been conned or lied to....... and if I had; no one on these forums would have known:I would simply have moved to another ISP which is precisely what would happen should they fail to meet what I consider the "value for mony" criteria. Before anyone jumps to an incorrect conclusion: I am as much a fan of Plusnet as a carpenter is of his/her claw hammer ie it is just a tool and if a carpenters hammer breaks he does not create a major fuss just goes out and buys a new........ if Plusnet broke I would simply get a replacement tool.

Although on a slightly humerous note there may well be a carpenters forum somewhere that is full of "my hammer broke should I take the manufacturer to trading standards, court , the police "etc :-)
ceridwen
Grafter

Come on be honest !

But I also think that people should realise that the forums dont get as much attention from PlusNet Staff as the support tickets do or a phone call.

This forum was called "feedback", and indeed it the sticky explaining the role of this forum, it does state "Customer feedback is very important to us, and we welcome all of it – good and bad."

As such, these posts (as well as support queries) are in scope for this forum.

Moreover, there are a number of people who have gone through the usual phone ot ticket support, just to get standard canned responses, and have to post here to escalate it to other PN staff. A good example, is the connection dropping issue - going through the usual ticket/phone channels was just getting the usual "it isn't a problem at our end, check your wiring and if that's fine we'll raise a BT fault" response. It was only people complaining here, that PN finally admitted (after 2 months) that it was a problem at their end.

Moreover, PN has stated an numerous occasions that they do monitor these forums and report overviews of what occurs here to senior management staff so if anything a thread (with input from a large number of customers) on these forums do have a higher visibility than a support call.

The people who help here are the moderators and unfortunately they are as much in the dark as most of us.

On the whole no-one is blaming the mods for issues with PN's policy (I certainly didn't in my post above). I must confess however, that I'm not particularly impressed with the mod's recent somewhat reckless (and in some cases antagonistic) thread locking, which seems to be leading to more angry posts (along the line of why has my thread been locked) than if the thread had been left to run its course (especially in cases when the posts in the thread had been on topic, not agressive, and even moreso when the thread has a running poll).

Matthew
N/A

Come on be honest !

Couldnt agree more with ceridwen.
If PN had not gone about their business so underhand and with total disregard I would still be with them now.
My usage has dropped considerably the last month and I would be nowhere near the cut off point now.That said, even though I knew that was to be the case, I was not prepared to give my hard earned cash to them any longer.
And I couldnt agree less with masondsl!!
I moved to f2s and have found them to be much faster and much more reliable than PN ever were, even in `the old days`!!
I am getting speeds at the top end of any bandwidth tests and, whilst I agree that every location is different, would not like to see them slated without reply.
Pete
N/A

Come on be honest !

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
Just been upgrade to 1 mb (fastest my line will get). Very happy see no reason to change. Reliable and fast and a leader of on the way ISP's will go in the future. There has to be some compromise in a shared resource. No other better isp around at the moment for general use. Keep up the good work +Net.
Discostoo
Grafter

Come on be honest !

Previous speed test results:

Date Speed Achieved (kbps)
13-11-2005 21:29:29 106.9
13-11-2005 21:28:59 104.3
10-11-2005 23:49:44 19.5
10-11-2005 17:37:24 101.8
09-11-2005 18:39:47 104.4
05-11-2005 01:01:00 100.6
04-11-2005 21:26:19 104.9
03-11-2005 21:29:20 106.4
03-11-2005 21:28:47 104.9
03-11-2005 03:40:44 101.9
01-11-2005 19:31:12 89.2
30-10-2005 19:56:11 105.4
29-10-2005 23:24:57 105.5
29-10-2005 05:28:11 4.5
28-10-2005 20:18:21 104.1
28-10-2005 18:06:50 109.6
28-10-2005 02:19:36 90.7

You think you lot got problems!??!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
N/A

Come on be honest !

Thats nothing - Here is mine from the past 18 nights -

Date Speed Achieved (kbps)
11-11-2005 00:30:29 0
10-11-2005 00:30:59 0
09-11-2005 00:30:44 0
08-11-2005 00:30:24 0
07-11-2005 00:30:47 0
06-11-2005 00:30:00 0
05-11-2005 00:30:19 0
04-11-2005 00:30:20 0
03-11-2005 00:30:47 0
02-11-2005 00:30:44 0
01-11-2005 00:30:12 0
31-10-2005 00:30:11 0
29-10-2005 00:30:57 0
28-10-2005 00:30:11 0
27-10-2005 00:30:21 0
26-10-2005 00:30:50 0
25-10-2005 00:30:36 0
24-10-2005 00:30:45 0

Note: These may not actually be true figures, because I had no connection to run the speed test.