cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closure of Support Tickets

N/A

I have a synch fault with my ADSL connection. I raised a Support ticket (8228761) yesterday. This morning I find that I have a reply asking me 9 questions to help try and trace the fault. However the ticket has been closed by Customer Support. Why? The fault has not been traced and in order to reply to the questions I have to raise a new ticket. This may look the Support team statistics look good and help them towards their target of closing all calls within 8 hours on average but it does not reflect the true situation and looses the history of my problem. The fault tends to be handled by a number of people on Support who now do not get the full picture
20 REPLIES
N/A

Hmm, that's quite strange I agree. It could be that they closed it by mistake?
Community Veteran

Well, while it may be a mistake, there have been reports before on these forums of CS closing a suport ticket when they shouldn't have.

Thomas
N/A

Yup, same happened to me. Plusnet approach to a lack of sync (no internet connection) is to email you with questions. I've been two weeks without sync now and it'll be at least a couple of days before an engineer gets out to me. I hope you have more luck.

Mistakes do happen, but closing a ticket that hasn't been resolved is a clear statement: "we don't give a ****"
Community Veteran

Hmm... you are aware that open tickets close after 10 days of inactivity aren't you?

Thomas
N/A

Yup, same happened to me. Plusnet approach to a lack of sync (no internet connection) is to email you with questions. I've been two weeks without sync now and it'll be at least a couple of days before an engineer gets out to me. I hope you have more luck.

Mistakes do happen, but closing a ticket that hasn't been resolved is a clear statement: "we don't give a ****"

Spooky - I had intermittent synch for over 2 weeks as well before the BT engineer came out. When he came out the synch was on and he couldn't find a fault which could explain the problem. We decided to terminate all internal telephone wiring at the incoming socket and I replaced my phones with a single digital base station running 4 handsets. I had synch for 4 days then it went off again on the Friday, came on on the Sunday and has been continuous ever since. CS latest 'solution' is to call out BT again but if they don't find anything then it's going to cost me for the call out'. They suggest I try another ADSL modem or try mine on someone else's connection!!!! As the connection is on at the moment I don't think this will prove anything and anyhow I don't know anyone with an ADSL modem.

I know about the 10 day rule but this is not the case here. The reason that it took so long to get a BT engineer out was because they closed off earlier tickets reporting the fault because the saw I had a connection and unilaterally assumed everything was ok, leaving me having to raise the fault again.

I read someone else's post to a message board stating that PN are ok when it comes to simple problems and up until this loss of synch I was totally happy with the service. However I have to agree with you that the don't give a **** attitude does tend to come through when things are not so simple.

Reading postings for other ISP's give the impresion that PN are no worse than any of the others out there so what's the point in changing your ISP. Maybe PN realise this too
N/A

Shit happens to good people even when everyone is trying and no systems are perfect..atleast mine arnt lol

The lesson Ive learned with this ISP and other ones to is that people do give **** and axctually want to complete or handle the problems presented in tickets.

Telling the guys who handle the tickets they are crap achieves littile but vexation. Infact what would be even better would be to answer the question provide data and thereby hopefully resolve the issue. Often problems are not articulated fully which exhaserbates the situation.

I dont think anyone at PLUSnet wnats NOT to solve your problems.

Best Des
N/A

[censored] happens to good people even when everyone is trying and no systems are perfect..atleast mine arnt lol
Best Des

I don't think you fully understand what we are saying and until you've been there you won't. I work for a software house, have even spent some time on the Support Desk, and agree no system is perfect. We get problems that we can't re-create or can't explain. Users do unusual things and PC's / systems may be configured differently.

The problem here is:

1. The attitude of the support desk. When my fault first occured I was told that they had to wait for a response from BT and that would take 48 hours. After 48 hours and no response I rang again to be told BT's response time was 72 hours. After 72 hours when I rang back I was told it was 2 working days (the fault first happened on a Friday. Later I found out that the fault hadn't even gone to BT yet. Overall you get the feeling (real or otherwise) that no-one is actively trying to sort out your problem.

2. Tickets are being closed without referal back to the customer and without a fault being corrected or found. Again you feel that this is not to help the customer but to help CS statistics.

3. Finally, you get postings like this because there is no where else to get it off your chest. When you don't get the level of service you think you deserve, you can't speak to anyone else other than CS. They refuse to put you through to someone. The only alternative is to raise a new ticket - back to CS or rant and rave on boards like this in the hope that someone from PN is reading it and think about ways to improve the service.

I read lots of comments from people signing as "a satisfied PlusNet customer" (for example) and until 3 weeks ago I was one of them. I still am when my connection works OK and would even recommend them to anyone, although that is partly based on what you read about other ISP's. I just hope that PN can take something from this and similar postings to improve the service and benefit us all
Ianwild
Grafter

There are a few points I would like to address here, however I just want to make sure I understand the problem correctly - as far as I was aware, it is impossible for a support agent to close a ticket from a customer perspective.

When support respond to a ticket, it is seen as being dealt with by us, but it is sent back to the customer where you then have a choice about whether you close it or send it back to support. Did you not have the option to re-submit the ticket to support after it was returned to you?

Regards,

Ian
N/A

I raised the fault on 29/08 on ticket 8008433 and was told it would go to BT. On 02/09 CS closed the ticket with the comment "[Internal] Closing as cust has since connected."

Yes I was connected for short periods of time but the fault was intermittent and I still did not have a reliable connection. There was no notification to myself to ask if everything was OK now - they just closed the ticket.

So I had to raise the issue again on 03/09 on ticket 8044390. Just one comment this time saying:-

"The customer rang for feedback on the fault raised in ticket 8008433. I explained connection had been established since then and the fault was closed. The customer says that he is having problems getting a connection this morning. After the ADSL issue yesterday I've advised to 'power cycle' the equipment for 60 minutes as per the Service Status posting we made yesterday. "

The ticket was then marked as closed. No consideration given to the fact that maybe the fault hasn't been cleared and maybe the ticket should remain open until the customer gets back to them.

Re-raised the issue again on 03/09 on ticket 8046828. On 05/09 the ticket was closed with the comment

"As advised via phone, fault is with BT."

Well yes the fault may be with BT but I still had no connection and I feel the ticket should not have been closed

The result of all of this is that all history is lost on the fault and I feel that it prolongs the period taken to reslove the problem.
N/A

[censored] happens to good people even when everyone is trying and no systems are perfect..atleast mine arnt lol
Best Des

I don't think you fully understand what we are saying and until you've been there you won't. I work for a software house, have even spent some time on the Support Desk, and agree no system is perfect. We get problems that we can't re-create or can't explain. Users do unusual things and PC's / systems may be configured differently.

The problem here is:

1. The attitude of the support desk. When my fault first occured I was told that they had to wait for a response from BT and that would take 48 hours. After 48 hours and no response I rang again to be told BT's response time was 72 hours. After 72 hours when I rang back I was told it was 2 working days (the fault first happened on a Friday. Later I found out that the fault hadn't even gone to BT yet. Overall you get the feeling (real or otherwise) that no-one is actively trying to sort out your problem.

2. Tickets are being closed without referal back to the customer and without a fault being corrected or found. Again you feel that this is not to help the customer but to help CS statistics.

3. Finally, you get postings like this because there is no where else to get it off your chest. When you don't get the level of service you think you deserve, you can't speak to anyone else other than CS. They refuse to put you through to someone. The only alternative is to raise a new ticket - back to CS or rant and rave on boards like this in the hope that someone from PN is reading it and think about ways to improve the service.

I read lots of comments from people signing as "a satisfied PlusNet customer" (for example) and until 3 weeks ago I was one of them. I still am when my connection works OK and would even recommend them to anyone, although that is partly based on what you read about other ISP's. I just hope that PN can take something from this and similar postings to improve the service and benefit us all

What he said......

Exactly the same gripes, I work in support myself and would never close a call without seeing whether or not it had been resolved. Granted, very few people will call to inform you that a fault has been resolved but plusnet made no resonable attempt to check.

The call that was closed within 10 days, i'm told this is not possible if i raise the call, not a great system for people who have connectivity problems.

I am always polite to your people on the phone because i know what it's like to be on the receiving end, the first line support staff i spoke to sounded tired and fed up. Does plus net not realise that closing unresolved tickets generates more calls, takes more man hours to resolve faults and demoralises staff when customers ring back?

BT Engineer is coming today, hopefully (after 2 weeks) he will resolve this.
Ianwild
Grafter

Hi Chaps,

What I was getting at before is that I think you have highlighted some changes we need to make to the way our ticket system communicates with customers, rather than the processes that surround the ADSL fault handling procedure.

The problem is that when we built the ticket system, it was never intended for use by customers. This was effectively something we bolted on afterwards in order to show customers the progress of their faults and prove that we are open company who doesn't have things to hide. The fact is that Contact Us offers way above what other companies do - We do provide 24 hour phone support as well and where we see a customer doesn't have Internet access we are careful top ensure that they are kept updated by telephone. That said, we have been working on a rebuild of the Contact Us system in order to avoid problems like this in the future; The reality here is that mosts of these tickets haven't actually been closed by support, they have been returned for more information or with a question. It is only where support open the ticket themselves that it can be closed by support.

In the case of the robinson20 account, after we logged the fault with BT, they clearly stated that they had been to see the customer, had repaired some faulty wiring and that the fault we logged on 11-09-2003 was now repaired. On the 16th, we asked via the ticket system whether the problem was ongoing and on the 17th the ticket was cleared down after BTs system showed an ongoing session in excess of 17 hours. It was this evidence that made us close the ticket. I accept that was a mistake, however I don't think it was unacceptable to presume that, having had no response to our question and based on what BT had told us, the problem was solved.

I am unclear here about whether the problem is still in existence or not - If there is still an outstanding problem I would be happy to look into that and escalate the problems as appropriate.

With Regards,

Ian
N/A

What I was getting at before is that I think you have highlighted some changes we need to make to the way our ticket system communicates with customers, rather than the processes that surround the ADSL fault handling procedure.

Hi Ian,
Unfortunately there are problems with the fault handling procedure. Had i been asked to perform all the tests and to provide all the required information on my first call the fault would have been referred directly to BT.

Unfortunately it took 3 or 4 calls to Plusnet to provide them with all the information they needed, it was this that delayed our call for the first week.

I really don't have unrealistic expectations of support for what is, after all, a home users service and if i wanted immediate response to a support call I would buy a business package. I do however think that it's dissappointing that one week after reporting a fault absolutley no progress had been made.
Absolutely no critism of your first line staff but....being able to explain this over the phone to a manager or experienced operator would have moved things forward much quicker.
jberry
Grafter

Hi there,

I can understand your frustration when problems like this occur but in a lot of cases an agent simply cannot go through all of the necessary fault diagnosis procedures in one phonecall.

The ideal way to raise problems to us (if slightly annoying) is to perform the fault diagnosis first (there is an excellent trouble shooting guide on the tutarials forum) and then raise this when connect via dialup - the simply reason being that it is much easier to explain your own problems in writing than to have them relayed through someone over the phone.

As for explaining this to someone else, speaking to a manager would get you nowhere - they are trained to run a team and probably have the worst technical problem diagnosis skills in the department (since they do not need to use it often) and would defaintely not be able to report your fault to BT.

We do have experienced agents and normally there are only two people not on the phones at any one time - and these are the people that do this job (posting etc) deal with billing problems and report and chase faults with BT. You would be amazed how experienced many of our frontline staff are - they just happen to be taking calls (for example, I have been here nearly 3 years - a long time in a callcentre - and 40% of the staff on the phones have been here longer than me).

Regards,
N/A

The reality here is that mosts of these tickets haven't actually been closed by support, they have been returned for more information or with a question. It is only where support open the ticket themselves that it can be closed by support.

In the case of the robinson20 account, after we logged the fault with BT, they clearly stated that they had been to see the customer, had repaired some faulty wiring and that the fault we logged on 11-09-2003 was now repaired. On the 16th, we asked via the ticket system whether the problem was ongoing and on the 17th the ticket was cleared down after BTs system showed an ongoing session in excess of 17 hours. It was this evidence that made us close the ticket. I accept that was a mistake, however I don't think it was unacceptable to presume that, having had no response to our question and based on what BT had told us, the problem was solved.

I am unclear here about whether the problem is still in existence or not - If there is still an outstanding problem I would be happy to look into that and escalate the problems as appropriate.

Hi Ian,

Thanks for your detailed reply and it's good to see PN taking on board the comments.

I must agree 100% with featherbanks reply which echo my sentiments almost exactly.

One thing I must clarify is in the examples you requested for me all the tickets I detailed were from 29/08 when the problem first happened, until 05/09 when I started to specifically ask CS not to close the tickets unless they had found a problem. You have not commented on these directly. You state that CS can only close tickets that they raise but these were raised by CS because I had to ring in, not having an ADSL link. Maybe you should be able to have tickets identified as raised by CS at customers request.

After 2 weeks of virtually no service, the ticket which you do actually refer to was left open by me because I was still not certain the fault had been cleared. My synch came back on on Sunday 14th and was still on when BT came on 15th. He could not find anything which 100% guaranteed the fault although he did terminate the internal wiring at the entrance in order to eliminate only problem it may be giving. (I replaced the sets with a single base station digital telephone). When the ticket was closed on 17th it was still before the 10 day period I did not bother to complain as I still had the synch. So yes it wasn't unreasonable for CS to close the ticket but that wasn't the ones I was complaining about or gave you as an example.

After that - Synch went off again on 19th, came back on late 20th. Synch went off again last night for a couple of hours.

I don't think the problem will go away easily and I now don't think it's PN's fault. After reading your excellent posts in the Tutorials and FAQ message board it's probably my modem, my drivers, my USB port, my IRQs, electrical interference etc. etc. etc. But CS are the only one's I can go to for advice or to pursue my complaint internally or with BT. My gripes have not been about the lack of a connection as such, they've been about the poor attitude from CS and the lack of an escalation procedure.

I'm not really sure what to do now. Don't want to buy another modem as I'm not convinced that is the problem and I don't know anyone with a spare I can borrow. With the synch being on when the BT came I still don't know if it's a BT problem. Ho hum - do the Samaritans have a web site?

featherbanks repl