cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clarify Upgrade

N/A

Clarify Upgrade

I've recently changed from an older 512 contract to broadband plus. What wasn't evident during the upgrade process on the web, was that my IP would change from static to dynamic. There's just no mention of it during the upgrade process. I'm happy with the current speeds I'm getting but I wish this was a little clearer from the outset rather than finding out what had happened and serching for "IP" in order to find out why it had happened.

My server (just a photo album for the family) is now redundant, but luckily I've already chosen another way making them available to family + friends.

Maybe some mention of this during the "upgrade" process on "My Account" would be worthwhile.
5 REPLIES
JonathanW
Grafter

Clarify Upgrade

Hi,

The full list of features on the Plus account does make it clear that you only get a dynamic IP address, along with the fact that it doesn't offer all of the advanced features that the majority of our other ADSL packages offer.
N/A

Clarify Upgrade

I agree that the information is there IF you dig for it and know where to find it. If you use the "UPGRADE" option for existing customers this is the information you are offered:

Help > Self Help > Broadband ADSL > Upgrade Guide

Upgrade Guide
What is a broadband 'regrade'?
What are the benefits of upgrading speed or contention?
How long will it take to upgrade my broadband?
Can I move from another broadband provider and regrade my service at the same time?
How can I proceed with my regrade?
Does upgrading affect my contract length? Can I upgrade if I have an existing annual contract?
How much does it cost to upgrade?
What are these charges for?
When will I be billed the regrade charge?
What payment methods can I use to pay the regrade charge?
What happens if my line cannot support a faster broadband speed?
Why do some changes require two regrades and two charges?
Can I upgrade from 'BT Install' products?
What broadband account changes do not require a regrade?
Will upgrading affect my subscription?
1. What is a broadband 'regrade'?

To upgrade your broadband connection, we will arrange to 'regrade' your line. A regrade is a change made to the connection speed or contention of your broadband link at your local telephone exchange. If you want a faster broadband connection, or a lower contention at your exchange, you need a regrade. The regrade itself involves a BT engineer making changes to your at the local telephone exchange.
[Top]

2. What are the benefits of upgrading speed or contention?

Upgrading your speed will allow you to download large files quicker than ever before, ideal for downloading music and movies. You will also be able to view sites with multimedia content such as BBCi.

Contention at your local telephone exchange is important if your exchange is used heavily. If you experience slowdowns during peak times on a 50:1 broadband product, upgrading to 20:1 is one way of improving your performance. Before doing this you can check your exchanges current capacity status and find out if BT have plans to upgrade your exchange.
[Top]

3. How long will it take to upgrade my broadband?

The regrade process itself is performed by BT, typically 5-7 days after the regrade is ordered. Regrades are usually performed between 2am - 6am, with minimum downtime (usually no more than 20 minutes).

Some regrade paths require two steps (See question 11). The second stage can only begin once the first is completed. This can take 10-14 working days. Please note, these timescales are not guaranteed and orders may take longer to complete in some circumstances.

Some customers can now be upgraded instantaneously, without the involvement of BT. However, this only applies to PlusNet broadband customers who joined after 16th March 2005, or PlusNet customers who have regraded the speed or contention of their broadband service since 16th March 2005. This is due to the way we now process our broadband signups and regrades.
[Top]

4. Can I move from another broadband provider and regrade my service at the same time?

Yes. Once you have moved to PlusNet you will automatically be regraded to your new speed or contention rate within 5-7 days.

Please note; a fee of £14.99 is charged if you choose a PlusNet product based on a different speed or contention rate to your existing service. This covers the cost of regrading your BT phone line.

See our migrations FAQ for more details about moving.
[Top]

5. How can I proceed with my upgrade?

Using the Contact Us section of the portal, select New Query > Account Changes Upgrades and follow the relevant options.
[Top]

6. Does upgrading affect my contract length? Can I upgrade if I have an existing annual contract?

Upgrading has no effect on your contract length. If you have an annual contract you can still upgrade.
[Top]

7. How much does it cost to upgrade?

The cost of changing your broadband product depends on several factors. Browse our dedicated support pages to find out more:

Residential broadband upgrade and downgrade costs
Business broadband upgrade and downgrade costs

If you're not sure whether you're on a residential or business product, consult our broadband product range support page.
[Top]

8. What are these regrade charges for?

The regrade charges cover administration and BT engineering work associated with altering the speed, contention or delivery method of broadband connections. We reduce the charges for customers who take up a new annual contract.
[Top]

9. When will I be billed the regrade charge?

We will bill you before we submit the regrade order to BT. If BT discover that your line cannot support a faster broadband connection we will refund these charges.
[Top]

10. What payment methods can I use to pay the regrade charge?

We can process regrade payments using the following debit/credit cards: Visa, American Express, Mastercard, and Visa Delta. We can currently accept Switch / Maestro payments, but only via telephone. Regrade charges, like all one off payments, cannot be taken by direct debit.
[Top]

11. What happens if my line cannot support a faster broadband speed?

Your line will be tested as part of the regrade process to confirm that it is suitable for your new connection. If your line is not suitable, your regrade payment will be refunded and your current broadband service will remain the same.
[Top]

12. Why do some changes require two regrades and two charges?

The nature of the BT systems means that there are a limited number of regrade 'paths' available. To change from some older broadband product types (e.g. BT-installed Business connections), we must first place you on an interim product. The number of account types which require this action will reduce in the future as BT continue to improve their systems. If you are a customer with a BT Installed service, see question 13 for more details.
[Top]

13. Can I upgrade from 'BT-install' products?

If you currently have a 'BT-install' broadband product, common upgrade options can now be performed without needing to have your existing line ceased. If you wish to upgrade from BT-installed USB 500 to Self Install 1MB, this can be performed in one regrade step, however other changes may require a double regrade.
[Top]

14. What broadband upgrades do not require a regrade?

If your current account has the same speed and contention as your new account1. Only connection speed or BT network contention changes are performed using the regrade process, however some changes require two regrades - See question 12

1 Does not apply to BT-install to self-install upgrades, which require a regrade.
[Top]

15. Will upgrading affect my subscription?

Yes, choosing to upgrade will generally change your monthly subscription - to compare the prices of our high-speed broadband products take a look at: Home Broadband or Business Broadband
[Top]

Take a look at the benefits of Broadband Plus and see if it's the right product for you

2Mb broadband as standard - up to 40x faster than dial-up*
Super-fast 4Mb and 8Mb options coming soon
No need to keep track of how much you download
Great value, fixed monthly payments
Perfect for regular surfing, email, chatting and shopping
Priority given to basic use such as surfing and email at busy times [ Find out more ]
Use the phone while you’re on the Internet
Simple broadband for everyday use
* Broadband Plus comes at the fastest speed possible, up to 2Mb. If 2Mb is not available to you we will provide you with broadband at 1Mb or 512k.

With Broadband Plus you get more than just a connection, you also get a host of features and extras:

Save money on your bill with PlusTalk - it's free to setup with a PlusNet broadband account.
[ Find out more ]

With unlimited email addresses, Webmail and access to thousands of newsgroups you can stay in touch with the people who matter.

Dedicated games servers plus news, sport and entertainment from the BBC mean that being online has
never been so exciting.

With 100 MB web space you can make your mark on the web - you can even have a .co.uk domain name
for just £1 a month!

Stay secure with spam filtering and email virus protection. You can even disable P2P access for extra
peace of mind.

Expert help is at hand, 24/7, either by local rate phone call or online using the Contact Us system.
View full features list

With Broadband Plus you can use any type of Internet services you want. In order to ensure we deliver a high level of service, during busy periods we will give priority to services such as web browsing and email and a lower priority to high usage services such as downloading and file sharing.

Broadband Plus is based on a PlusNet network contention ratio of up to 50:1.

If you regularly file-share and download, take a look at Broadband Premier. With a PlusNet network providing up to 30:1 contention , Broadband Premier offers a premium service and is suitable for Internet enthusiasts and families.

How does one find "the full list of features"?
Clicking on the broadband package icon in the "residential" section yields even less information.
Is it too much to add "dynamic IP" in product specifications?

I believe someone else on the forums wanted to know about static/dynamic IP's on their premier account and had similar troubles finding the information. They had a premier account and wanted a dynamic IP.
JonathanW
Grafter

Clarify Upgrade

I agree that the information is there IF you dig for it and know where to find it. If you use the "UPGRADE" option for existing customers this is the information you are offered:

Expert help is at hand, 24/7, either by local rate phone call or online using the Contact Us system.
View full features list

How does one find "the full list of features"?
Clicking on the broadband package icon in the "residential" section yields even less information.
Is it too much to add "dynamic IP" in product specifications?

I believe someone else on the forums wanted to know about static/dynamic IP's on their premier account and had similar troubles finding the information. They had a premier account and wanted a dynamic IP.

Hi,

The full list of features is linked from the Product Specification page that you copied the above text from. Where it says view Full Features List.

As for listing the type of IP address available on the accounts, its felt that the initial pages contain a good overview of what each package offers without being too tech heavy to discourage your average customer who doesn't care about things like static IP addresses.
N/A

Clarify Upgrade

Ah, there is it!

Quite a bit of reading to do and esy to miss, a purple hyperlink in small text underneath the specifications box - it was just what I was looking for for ages. That link is really useful - why so difficult to find? It would be great to have that when deciding which product to upgrade to.
JonathanW
Grafter

Clarify Upgrade

Hi,

Thinking about it, I guess it is a little hard to miss. So I'm going to raise a suggestion internally to make that link a little more visible on all of the product pages.