cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clarification please

N/A

Clarification please

Can someone help me understand this please?

When I joined in June last year I was on (as I recall) "Up to 2mb unlimited". When I look at my account details it now says "Plus up to 8mbs". At the same time in VMBU I get a warning that I've used 60% of my peak allowance with 2.4G gone.

I've trawled the various friendly pages but the amount of tarrifs, options and limits is ridiculous and none of them seem to fit. Depending which page I look at I could be "entitled" to 3G or 8G peak time per month.

Can any of you clever chaps confirm what I actually should be getting?

Just for fun - a couple of other questions:

1. How does "unlimited" become limited?
2. Can I decline the 8mb upgrade and stick at 2mb? 2 is fast enough for me and as far as I can see just breaches my limits 4 times quicker
3. When the current product page for potential customers says "no fixed download limits" - how does that reconcile with the policy which does appear to allow ceasing the service if limits are exceeded?
4. Should I opt out of LLU?

I know the industry as a whole has these issues. I just think all ISPs should be clearer about the situation. The facts are no doubt there, but buried to the point of obscurity. I can't help thinking of Arthur Dent looking for the bypass plans...

TIA
5 REPLIES
N/A

Clarification please

Hi Mike,

Welcome to the forums.

When I joined in June last year I was on (as I recall) "Up to 2mb unlimited".

At the risk of starting a lengthy an heated discusssion, no you didnt. Smiley

Plus net have not sold or marketed an unlimited product since the latter end of 2004. This was when the first attempt was made to control heavy users.

You are now on Premier option 1, 2 or 3 up to 8mbps.

1. How does "unlimited" become limited?

In your case, it didnt.

2. Can I decline the 8mb upgrade and stick at 2mb?

Why would you want to. If your usage doesnt increase to much you'll be fine.

no fixed download limits"

There arent any. The combined peak and off peak usage levels are generous and 99.9 % of customers will never come close to using them. The SUP ensures that unlike hard caps, your connection will never stop. It will slow dramatically, but you will still be able to use it.

Should I opt out of LLU?

There have been reams posted about this in recent weeks and more than enough for you to make an informed choice. But ultimately it is only you who can decide this one.

Hope that helps a bit.
shellsong
Grafter

Re: Clarification please

4. Should I opt out of LLU?

Pro LLU
Probable faster uploading speed

Con LLU
At present it involves much more hassle if you want to change ISPs (this may well improve in 2-3 months)
Some people object to being on Tiscali LLU
You can no longer use the BT Speedtest to check local contention/conditions

It's your call!
Community Veteran

Re: Clarification please

2. Can I decline the 8mb upgrade and stick at 2mb? 2 is fast enough for me and as far as I can see just breaches my limits 4 times quicker

This certainly was possible however It appears the adress used to do this (http://trials.plus.net) now points to the start of the new "help assistant" so I don't know if it is anymore.
Community Veteran

Clarification please

I think that link got missed when the new help & support went live early this morning. Once this gets through to the developers I'm sure it will be restored.

In the mean time raise a ticket stating you want to opt out of LLU and then PM One of the comms team, tell them the ticket number and they will get your ticket put into the correct group.
JonathanW
Grafter

Clarification please

Yes, the developers are aware of this, and its the next thing on their list for fixing.

In the mean time, follow Peter's advice and we can get this sorted out for you.