cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clarification of Bandwidth limits...

Ryan
Dabbler

On my first month with Plusnet I've managed to reach this Level 2 management already :? , Can I just ask what the management does? I've tried looking on the page linked, but the words used are inconsistent to those on the usage page...Sad

Also, what is this about:

Product
Plus

Warning Email Sent
8gb

Is this hypocrisy or is this something completely different to what I've been jammed onto? I've only used 4gb...that's like less than 1 DVD. Granted, i've downloaded about 20gb off-peak, but Plusnet don't get charged for that anyway, so it doesn't matter. :roll:

A lot of this stuff is just sillyness. The usage indicator is awful too; it states I downloaded P2P at peak times...not once. I've also used 1gb in 'other.' I have no idea what 'other' entails...can't think of anything other than the things already listed.

This is uber-confusing. Cry
9 REPLIES
Community Veteran

http://usergroup.plus.net/sup_calc.php any help?

I think you are confusing the peak time traffic management levels ( BB+ has it set to 3GB) and peak time SUP levels which has a 10GB limit.

And yes it is more confusing than it should be.
Ryan
Dabbler

http://usergroup.plus.net/sup_calc.php any help?

I think you are confusing the peak time traffic management levels ( BB+ has it set to 3GB) and peak time SUP levels which has a 10GB limit.

And yes it is more confusing than it should be.

Thanks for the reply, but I'm completely lost as to what the difference between SUP (don't even know what this acronym means) and the usage limit is? Supposedly I can use up to 10gb before my line is restricted to 128kbps; yet it is already restricted on 4gb... :?
FooAtari
Grafter

What product do you use? Broadband Plus, Premier 1 or what?

Basically you have the SUP, Sustainable Usage Policy. This is basically to make sure you use the network in a way that is sustainable to Plus.

Then you have traffic management, think of it as a fair use policy to keep the network fast and eficient for all users at peak times.

Its easier to explain if we know which Prodcut you are on. But on all product off peak usegage does not count towards the traffic management, and there is gnerally know limit, allthough if you start downloading over 100 - 150GB a month Plus might have a word or two with you Wink
Ryan
Dabbler

What product do you use? Broadband Plus, Premier 1 or what?

Basically you have the SUP, Sustainable Usage Policy. This is basically to make sure you use the network in a way that is sustainable to Plus.

Then you have traffic management, think of it as a fair use policy to keep the network fast and eficient for all users at peak times.

Its easier to explain if we know which Prodcut you are on. But on all product off peak usegage does not count towards the traffic management, and there is gnerally know limit, allthough if you start downloading over 100 - 150GB a month Plus might have a word or two with you Wink

I'm on Broadband Plus. Possibly going to upgrade shortly, as I'm tres happy with the service other than this lack of expanation Smiley
If I understand you correctly, I am allowed to use more than the 3gb bandwidth allocated, but if I reach 8gb, THEN they will do something about it? But once I go over 3gb they start traffic shaping?
FooAtari
Grafter

Broadband Plus

Perfect for surfing, email, chatting and shopping - not file-sharing and large downloads.

There is no usage cap, however the product is designed for up to 3GB usage each month at 4pm-Midnight. Once your usage exceeds the product design, your downloads and surfing will get progressively slower until the start of your next billing month when your usage is reset.

3GB per month at peak times is more than enough for most Broadband Plus customers, for example you could do all the following:

* Browse the web for 166 hours per month - 1GB
* Send or receive 50 10KB emails per day - 15MB
* Send or receive 10 1MB emails per day - 300MB
* Make 20 15 minute VoIP calls per month - 400MB
* Download Windows and AV updates - 100MB
* Play 30 hours of online gaming per month (e.g.Counterstrike at 20MB per hour) - 600MB
* Download 10 mp3s from iTunes per month - 50MB
* Read 1000 text usenet posts per month - 5MB
* Chat 4 hours per day on MSN/ICQ/IRC - 120MB

If you do need to make occasional peer-to-peer, Usenet or FTP downloads, we recommend doing so outside of the busy 4pm-Midnight period. For more frequent use of these applications we recommend Broadband Pay As You Go or Broadband Premier.

And I think the above is all you need to worry about as far as restrictions go... Its all there. Basically there is no cap as such, but once you reach 3GB things start to get slower. Plus, as it says, is designed for light users.
Discostoo
Grafter

Re: Clarification of Bandwidth limits...

A lot of this stuff is just sillyness. The usage indicator is awful too; it states I downloaded P2P at peak times...not once. I've also used 1gb in 'other.' I have no idea what 'other' entails...can't think of anything other than the things already listed.

This is uber-confusing. Cry

it counts uploads as well. and people attempting to upload. Just dont watch any world cup matches live on the bbc like i've been doing. Money Funster!!!(or something similar) i proclaimed, as i saw my VBMU at streaming 5 matches at 340kbps. and i'm on premier. god help those poor BB+ users! and anyone on NTL, Bulldog(ha ha), "insert ISP here"
N/A

Broadband Plus

Perfect for surfing, email, chatting and shopping - not file-sharing and large downloads.

There is no usage cap, however the product is designed for up to 3GB usage each month at 4pm-Midnight. Once your usage exceeds the product design, your downloads and surfing will get progressively slower until the start of your next billing month when your usage is reset.

3GB per month at peak times is more than enough for most Broadband Plus customers, for example you could do all the following:

* Watch 6 movies on sky by broadband

If you do need to make occasional peer-to-peer, Usenet or FTP downloads, we recommend doing so outside of the busy 4pm-Midnight period. For more frequent use of these applications we recommend Broadband Pay As You Go or Broadband Premier.

And I think the above is all you need to worry about as far as restrictions go... Its all there. Basically there is no cap as such, but once you reach 3GB things start to get slower. Plus, as it says, is designed for light users.

EDITIED FOR THE TRUTH! :shock:
Discostoo
Grafter

yeah, but c'mon, if you're already one of the 7 million or so sky subscribers then you should be able to pay the £6 a month extra for the premier service on one of the cheapest ISP's available?

I'm sure you could put the 2 pints of beer's worth into Plusnet's pockets. Better than paying £10 a month more into Rupert Murdoch overloaded pockets anyway.

And then maybe Plusnet will have the money to sort out the awful pings, customer service and maybe, just maybe, their share prices might climb again...?
N/A

£3 a pint?! Fuck that, where's the next pub?

Tongue