cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Choosing a router

N/A

Choosing a router

I'm just after a piece of advice about wireless routers before I take the plunge and buy one.

Has anyone got, or does anyone know of anyone on Plusnet using, a Safecom 108 Mbps 4 Port Wireless Cable/DSL Router With Print Server? (SWBRU-5410Cool

I just ask because it seems to be a very good value model, and also has a USB print server which I would find very useful. I haven't seen any similar all-in-one products before.

If this is no good, can anyone recommend anything else similar?

many thanks
10 REPLIES
craiglay
Grafter

Router

My advice would be to go with a brand, especially if you want wireless too. I cannot fault the Safecom kit but I think with the state of broadband and MaxDSL having a decent router certainly helps.

I am using a Netgear DG834G which is very common looking around here. It works, and works nicely for me, easy to set up and has a high performance. I have also had experience with the DG834 (without wireless) on a marginal MaxDSL line and it runs rings around the Voyager 105 "free" modem.

As for the USB print server, I don't know as I haven't looked into it. You may want to check exact model compatibility before you purchace as some USB printers have dodgy drivers and might not like it. (Correct me if wrong)

Craig
N/A

Choosing a router

I have been using the netgear DG834gt + dongle for a year and have nothing but 100% reliable fast service. Replaced a linksys wireless router.

Andy
N/A

Choosing a router

I have been using the netgear DG834gt + dongle for a year and have nothing but 100% reliable fast service. Replaced a linksys wireless router.

Andy
N/A

Choosing a router

Yup I'd say Netgear stuff is good.

If you intend to use wireless I'd say seriously consider WPA encryption instead of regular flavour ( 64/128WEP )

Whatever router you get make sure it's a firewall!
You cant go far wrong with most branded kit out at the moment. Alot of my friends use Netgear kit, Belkin, and Linksys. Nobodys got anything bad to say about any of those brands ( from my immediate circle of friends! )
N/A

Choosing a router

Being an admin on RouterTech.Org, I would say that the Safecom SWBRU-54108 might be OK depending on what your needs are. Bear in mind it won't work with ADSL (since it's a cable router) - if you need an ADSL router then the SWAMRU-54108 or similar would be more appropriate.

The print server isn't bad provided your model is one of the one's supported and that you don't want use anything other than printing on a multi-function printer in this way (this confirms what Craig is saying).

The actual build quality of most Safecom router's isn't bad on the whole, although some batches have had poor quality capacitors.

If you do decide on a Safecom router, I would suggest RouterTech.Org for router specific support, since Safecom's own level of support leaves a lot to be desired.

Netgear has built up a solid reputation, and their router's are fairly simple to set up (although they seem to come with tonnes of documentation which would take a lifetime to go through). They will tend to be a bit more pricey than Safecom though.

HTH Smiley
N/A

Choosing a router

wifey just bought a belkin F5D9630uk4 and i should be setting it up sunday or monday. if i remember, i'll try to post up here how it compares to the usb modem.
N/A

Choosing a router

I would say either Netgear or D-Link.

Having used both personally I lean for D-Link as Netgear have always proved ackward on my line. They seem to keep retraining the line which ultimately lowers my sync as a consequence.
The D-Link on the other hand ( G604T ) + ( G624T ) are both remarkably solid. They can make the best of very little SNR and hold the line stable.

I am just about to try out the Cisco837 also and see how that handles life on my line...
Wheel_nut
Grafter

Re: Choosing a router

I just ask because it seems to be a very good value model, and also has a USB print server which I would find very useful. I haven't seen any similar all-in-one products before.

If this is no good, can anyone recommend anything else similar?

I followed the Safecom site forum for ages before deciding not to buy one. There were many problems with the firmware and support was very patchy. Also, the Printer Server was very selective in what it would serve.

I finally settled for a USR 9108 which is an ADSL Modem/ Router/ 4 port switch/ Wireless/ Printer Server and it WORKS! The Printer Server operates as a Network Printer and uses the standard Win XP function to do this.

The Firmware is very stable and simply seems to work out of the box. The only function I have not figured out is the Time synchronisation but that could be me.
Community Veteran

Choosing a router

I've a DrayTek 2800VG which has all the functions you want and works perfectly for me in all of them ... it's also substantially more expensive than Safecoms or Netgears and is massively overspecified for home use.
N/A

Choosing a router

wifey just bought a belkin F5D9630uk4 and i should be setting it up sunday or monday. if i remember, i'll try to post up here how it compares to the usb modem.

went well. had to delete my dial-up connections before i was able to connect to the damn thing to configure it.

had problems with the main family pc though. turns out the on-board nic was dodgy and it was resolved when i hunted through my shed and found a nic i had pulled from a machine i "salvaged" from work. it's only a 10mbps nic, but it will probably suffice as there's little sharing done between it and the other computers.