cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Choosing a new router

N/A

Choosing a new router

Hi. Up until now I have been using a netgear dg834v2 using the latest firmware. The problem I am having is I am a gamer and not really a downloader so I need a stable low latency connection. I am at present on DSLMax. I connect with the exchange too fast as the BT systems try to always maximise my throughput speed. Im connecting at 3.6-4.2M and get average speeds of 2.25M-2.5M but with more packet loss than I would like. As a gamer I had interleaving removed as it added about 40ms latency which I found unacceptable. I have raised a ticket to ask for my target snr to be increased so that I sync with exchange slower and get a more stable connection but I am told this is not possible, all that can be done is a fault raised to BT. I dont believe I have a fault, I just think I need some tweaking. So to this end I would need a router that allows possible setting of max sync speed and/or target snr so that I can force my connection slower myself. I dont want to run at maximum speed if that introduces lag and packet loss. The last few days have been terrible but a lot of that I expect is down to the current load balancing problems. My speed has halved and ping times doubled in last few days to my gaming server. Is there a good router suitable for long lines with an snr margin that goes up and down like a prostitutes knickers that will allow me to slow down the connection to achieve better stability?
Also can I ask if ellycoyas has correct signatures to prioritise traffic from the games Lineage2 and diablo2 as we seem to be getting a fair bit of lag spikes while playing and our l8nc graph shows regular spikes of packet loss which always coincide with the gaming lagspikes.
Late evening seems worse. My snr stays fairly stable all day maybe going up and down between about 5 and 9db (as reported by the router) but in the evening it varies wildly all over the place from about 9db to -1. The netgear seems to hold the connection right down to 1 or even 0db but when it goes negative we lose the connection and must reboot the router to get it back. Will slowing down the connection by increasing the target snr or lowerring the max sync speed with exchange help stop these dropouts? As PN seems incapable of making these changes as its all done automatically by the BT systems is there a router available that will allow me to do this? If so which would you recommend?

ds atten usually 53.5
ds snr daytime stable between 5-9 evening very variable 9- -1.
2 REPLIES
N/A

Choosing a new router

Hi, My kids and I play L2. I can say that my experience of late is that it's now nearly impossible to play. Certainly not enjoyable to play.

PN Staff assure me that the Ellacoyas have the correct sigs for L2.

Not what you wanted to hear I know.
N/A

Choosing a new router

well things got better for me a little while back when they moved the teon server from north america to germany, now usually i get a ping of 32 to teon, but this week thats doubled to 65 and speed tests showing half the speed that I was getting last week. Im 99% sure that this is down to the load balancing issues, which may also be causing the packet loss I am getting too.
Now on the subject of routers, Im sure there must be one or two that let you specify a maximum sync speed or a target snr so that I can effectively slow my connection a little bit. The BT systems are obviously not catching this packet loss. I always seem to sync between 3.6 and 4.2M Ideally id like to sync at 3-3.4M. Wont cause a great loss in throughput speeds, but slowing it a little from the "max" will I hope cut the packet loss down. I am sick of lagspikes making gaming terrible. I know max is pretty new technology but even so there must be a few tweaks available to cut down packet loss on longer lines without needing to introduce interleaving which adds 40 ms to my pings. I dont need a superfast connection, just a lag free low latency connection.
I still want official word that ellycoyas is not responsible for dropping gaming packets. We have serious lag issues this past few days. Lag in an mmorpg based around player v player action is the kiss of death.