cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing to your new PlusNet product and upgrading to MaxDSL

Mand
Grafter

We want to provide an update on the two changes affecting current PlusNet customer products.

Feedback in our discussion forums and questions asked of the support team have highlighted confusion about how we are prioritising upgrades. Questions have also been asked about when these upgrades will occur for individual customers. We hope the following information clarifies these points.

The two things that are happening at the moment are;
1. Upgrades to the new up to 8MB speeds, known by BT as MaxDSL
2. Improvements to your current product, like the addition of PlusTalk calls.

In order to upgrade you to MaxDSL we have to place an order with BT (as do all other ISPs).. We select customers based on those who are due to be billed each day. Then out of these customers we select those who have had a service with us for the longest period of time. An order for an upgrade is then placed with BT.

The improvements to your current product, takes place again on the day of your billing. This will happen to all customers billed on that day and is separate to the speed upgrade.

Changing customers over to their new product is going smoothly. Unfortunately since starting the speed upgrade process, BT have had a number of difficulties in processing orders and they have reduced the number of orders we can place at the moment until their new order tool is available.

While we will make every effort to place all orders as quickly as BTs systems will allow us, we will be making every possible effort to ensure that our longest serving customers receive their upgrades first.

Here is how the ordering process has been managed:

- Initially, we placed orders for all of our customers who have been paying more for a 4 or 8Mb connection. This did not include PAYG customers. Many of these orders were completed last week.
- After the 4/8Mb customers orders had been sent, we began placing all customers billed on the 1st April into a queue, from which the longest serving customers (Based on total length of time an account is held with us) had orders placed on them, upto the amount of orders that BT would allow us to submit on that day.

We felt this was the only way to ensure customers who were on our new products received their free upgrade in the fairest way possible. In some cases issues such as rejected orders at BTs side may slightly alter the order in which upgrades are completed. This has also now been impacted in the short term by the reduction in orders that we are allowed to place.

We understand that many customers are very keen to see their upgrade quickly, and we apologise if the expectation you have is not borne out by the information provided here.

We are still awaiting the release of BT’s Bulk Regrade tool which we hope to have available from April 24th . This will allow us to place a greater number of orders and better gauge the time scales.

Moving forward from this, by mid May all customers will have been moved to their improved product

The new BT tool will allow us to place more orders and where possible still prioritise customers who have been with us the longest. This free upgrade process will take several months to complete for everyone as with any upgrade of this size. As with any nationwide BT upgrade we expect the above issues will affect other service providers not just PlusNet.

I appreciate and apologise for the fact that the message we have tried to communicate over the last few weeks has not been entirely clear. I hope that this message provides more clarity than those which have preceded it.

Kind Regards,

James Bailey
Communications Team Leader
22 REPLIES
N/A

Re: Changing to your new PlusNet product and upgrading to Ma

- Initially, we placed orders for all of our customers who have been paying more for a 4 or 8Mb connection. This did not include PAYG customers. Many of these orders were completed last week.

So this is an admission that something has gone very wrong with my account. I am *the* longest standing 39.99 paying customer who still has not heard anything about a regrade.

- After the 4/8Mb customers orders had been sent,

Past tense, so I definitely should have received something by now then.

Sorry to keep going on about this, but I'm not going to let it drop until I see some action.

New people who are unaware of the history of this plusnet policy are going to think I'm just acting like a spoiled brat throwing his toys out of the pram.... but there is a serious principle at stake here... the policy of overcharging people for an 8mb service (that didn't exist for over a year) was always a controversial one taken by plusnet management at that time.... now it's finally time to deliver on your promise and it's being botched right before my eyes.....

You need to stop placing regrade orders with BT for option 1 customers until you have 100% confirmed that all the opton 3 (39.99) paying customers have had their regrade and are satisfied.
astarsolutions
Grafter

From what I understand BT have rejected some although I don't know why.

Both my accounts were submitted to BT to be changed over yet only one has been done; I am sure I saw something on the tickets system with the word rejected for the account that hasn't been done.
N/A

From what I understand BT have rejected some although I don't know why.

Both my accounts were submitted to BT to be changed over yet only one has been done; I am sure I saw something on the tickets system with the word rejected for the account that hasn't been done.

I've just had it confirmed privately (via the tickting system) that my line had somehow been missed.... so it wasn't rejected. I've also been told that with my SNR stats I should easily be able to get the full 8Mb with no problems.

For anyone else who's following.... I've just been given a ticket response to say that they are manually placing a new order for me, and the regrade order is due on 18th April.... this is really bad because now it means I won't have it for Easter when I would have been able to monitor the performance for the first few days... The 18th is the day before I go on holiday for 5 days, so I won't be able to keep an eye on it's performance, or perform resets/reconnects during the early days.

What will happen if I just leave it switched off for the 5 days following the regrade? will the 10 day evaluation period by the BT exchange simply delay itself?
Mand
Grafter

BT monitor 3 connection attempts over 10 days so if you remain connected for days 5-10 there should be no problems.
N/A

Re: Changing to your new PlusNet product and upgrading to Ma

Moving forward from this, by mid May all customers will have been moved to their improved product

This free upgrade process will take several months to complete for everyone

Is it just me or do those two statements *totally* contradict one another?
Mand
Grafter

The first refers to the new products, the second to MaxDSL regrades.
N/A

Ah yeah, I see now, if you take notes as you're reading, that's kind of made clear.

The improvements to your current product, takes place again on the day of your billing. This will happen to all customers billed on that day and is separate to the speed upgrade

You don't think it would have been better to keep the two issues separate and not mix them up within the one email? (Not really a snipe, an honest piece of advice for the future, I hope it's taken that way)
Marteknet
Grafter

Never mind the 8M I am still waiting to get 2M. All I can get is 1.1M while the other line in to the same house can get 2M.
Mand
Grafter

Hiya Smiley

We tried to upgrade all customers to 2MB but a lot of these orders were rejected, can you get your line stats from your hardware?
Marteknet
Grafter

Yes they are:
Noise Margin up = +28.0 db down = +23.9 db
Attenuation up = +31.5 db down = +52.0 db

I know the Attenuation down is too high at 52.0 db but would like to know why. The second line in to the house comes from the same junction box in the street and the line length is the same, its just an older line, the new line was added last year.
astarsolutions
Grafter

Is your line the newer one or the older one?
Mand
Grafter

You should definitely see a speed increase with MaxDSL then Smiley
Marteknet
Grafter

Is your line the newer one or the older one?

I am sorry to say it's the older slower one that only runs at 1.1M
Marteknet
Grafter

You should definitely see a speed increase with MaxDSL then Smiley

So will MaxDSL run faster than 1.1M with Attenuation down = +52.0 db :?: