Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing to PAYG

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Changing to PAYG

Why Change?

Plusnet assign priorities to all traffic - details can be found here. On Broadband Plus and Premier some of the commonly used protocols are in the Silver and Bronze queues (e.g. Usenet (NNTP) binaries, FTP and P2P). On Pay As You Go, because you pay for exactly what you use, all traffic is in the Gold queue (or better). There have been a number of people confirming that they have seen significant improvements following conversion.

If use of the restricted protocols is important to you, it may be worth considering changing to PAYG. It will depend on your total usage and how much of this will be in off-peak hours. You can find your usage for the current and previous months here. When assessing how much you think you would use under PAYG remember that the peak time hours are different. For BB+ and Premier they are 4pm to midnight, for PAYG it is 8am to midnight. Under PAYG usage from midnight to 8am is free and does not count towards your allowance.

Costs

For BB+ users the entry cost of PAYG is the same (£14.99). This gives 2GB peak (and unlimited midnight to 8am usage). Additional allowance is £1.50 for each extra 2GB.

For Premier the cost equivalent allowances are:

Premier 1 (£21.99) PAYG with 12GB (£22.49)
Premier 2 (£29.99) PAYG with 22GB (£29.99)
Premier 3 (£39.99) PAYG with 36GB (£42.99)

In addition all of these include unlimited midnight to 8am usage.

It is worth noting that for PAYG you have full speed all the way up to the allowance. If you go over the allowance one month (without first increasing your allowance) you will be charged at the rate of £1.80 for each 2GB (or part thereof) - there are no penalties for going over.

Cost of Changing

For BB+ users the regrade will be free no matter how much allowance is included. When you change over your usage for the current month is deleted and you get your chosen allowance to use for the rest of the current month (your billing date will not change). If you will need more than the basic 2GB per month you may be able to save some money by opting for a lower allowance for the remainder of the current month and setting it up to the required level once you are in your second month (depending upon how far you are in to the current month).

For Premier it is essential to make sure that the included allowance you choose gives the same or higher cost than you are already paying. This will ensure that your regrade occurs immediately and also that you will not be charged a regrade fee (e.g. anyone on Premier 1 must choose 12GB included). If you do not do this you will be charged £14.99 and the regrade will not happen until your next billing date.

Once you have been on the new account for at least one month you can reduce your included allowance without any charge.

Contractual implications

Changing to PAYG has no contractual implications. If you are still in the first year of an annual contract the date that completes is unchanged. If you have deferred fees on your account under the You Stay We Pay Scheme these are unaffected.

How to do it

Before changing read the last section of this post regarding Checking your speed.

To change to PAYG follow these steps:

• Select Upgrade from the end of the menu ribbon under the Plusnet logo.

• Select Change your broadband product

• Select Plusnet Broadband Pay As You Go £14.99 and click Go

• From the drop down on the next page select the appropriate Included monthly data transfer, e.g. 12GB (£22.49)

After you have completed the account regrade there are a number of changes that the Plusnet systems have to make which can take a few minutes to run. Wait about 20 minutes then disconnect and reconnect and you should then pick up your changed profile.

Checking your speed

If you are on MaxDSL (faster than 2MB and not on Tiscali LLU), it appears that sometimes your stable rate gets reset back to 2MB. Before upgrading go to https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=stable_rate and take note of what it says.

After you have reconnected, go back to that page and check it still says the same. If it has been reset you need to raise a ticket to ask for this to be corrected.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
92 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Changing to PAYG

If anyone has any comments, corrections or additions to the above I will edit the original post.
James
Grafter

Changing to PAYG

Reads fine to me John.

Thanks for doing this.
Firejack
Grafter

Changing to PAYG

Out of interest. Does anyone know when the Broadband PAYG product appeared? Don't recall seeing it announced. Unless I just simply dismissed it as it had "PAYG" on it.
James
Grafter

Changing to PAYG

Dave reckons May 2004.
James
Grafter

Changing to PAYG

This was called HomeLite at the time.
Firejack
Grafter

Changing to PAYG

A product well ahead of its time. Whoever designed it can read the future. Creating a product that fits perfectly within traffic management and higher central bandwidth costs, nearly 3 years down the line is quite impressive Wink
James
Grafter

Changing to PAYG

*cough*

MetroNet PayGo

*cough*

We were first dammit :p
N/A

Changing to PAYG

The thing is, the more people change to PAYG and get higher priority for the traffic, the worse the performance for the remainder is going to be. Plusnet's capacity is now balanced on a knife-edge and even a small number of people getting higher priority is going to mean either that silver traffic stops being carried at all or that gold becomes the new silver.

Gold traffic is again being dropped and it looks to me that ~70% of the traffic in the evening peak is now prioritised as HTTP, leaving precious little room for anything else.

http://www.plus.net/support/network_performance/broadband_bandwidth_usage.shtml
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Changing to PAYG

*cough*

MetroNet PayGo

*cough*

We were first dammit :p
But judging by the MetroNet website your PAYG has been throttled linky
Community Veteran

Changing to PAYG

I wonder if this topic would be worthy of being added to the Index of useful links (ex stickies) sticky?
Liam
Grafter

Changing to PAYG

Ah I remember Broadband Home Lite... I signed up plenty of referrals to it years ago (before I started here).
N/A

Changing to PAYG

Added.
Community Veteran

Changing to PAYG

I wonder if this topic would be worthy of being added to the Index of useful links (ex stickies) sticky?

Funny enough I was just thinking the same but James has done it now so it's a null point Smiley
aceofbase

Just a simple question

Just a simple question. If you change to PAYG from premier, choose the 12GB or 13GB limit but only use, let's say, 4GB in a month because it was a quiet month. Does the extra allowance rollover to the next month? Also can the payment of extra bandwidth be automatic?