cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing phone numbers

N/A

Changing phone numbers

We have two BT lines that we use for 'data': 445 is the line on which we have PlusNet ADSL and on 228 we have a fax. Both lines are dedicated to those uses.

This means that we have a 'spare' line, i.e. the 'voice' side of the ADSL line.

Three questions for people who know more about how these things work than I do:

1. Could we switch the fax to use the voice side of 445 and, hence discontinue 228 and save a BT line rental charge?

2. If we did that would there be any loss of quality on the fax and/or ADSL connections compared with the current situation?

3. In fact, as the fax number is well known to contacts, we would much prefer to keep the 228 number. Could the present 228 line be cancelled and then the number transferred to 445 (and what impact would this have on our ADSL setup)?

Your thoughts would be appreciated.
9 REPLIES
N/A

Re: Changing phone numbers

No1, Yes you could.

No2, No there wouldn't

No3, Yes you could cancel it - I'm not sure on what impact it would have, but I would have thought keeping the 228 line and having adsl activated on that and do a moves and transfer of plusnet over to that number maybe a better idea.
N/A

Changing phone numbers

3. In fact, as the fax number is well known to contacts, we would much prefer to keep the 228 number. Could the present 228 line be cancelled and then the number transferred to 445 (and what impact would this have on our ADSL setup)?

I think you would have to pay a new activation charge, however, as PlusNet will have to pay one to BT. I would have thought it was basically the same as changing address. No doubt there would be some time while the ADSL would be 'off' during the transfer?

regards

Stuart
N/A

Changing phone numbers

Sorry to reply to my own post - brain always kicks into gear after I click the "submit" button :?

I don't know how transferring numbers works with BT, but if it is the same line at the exchange it might not have the same cost implications.

Interesting one Smiley

regards

Stuart
N/A

Changing phone numbers

Thanks guys. So it looks as if the idea is a runner.

Would anyone from PlusNet care to comment on the practicalities?
N/A

Changing phone numbers

Would anyone from PlusNet care to comment on the practicalities?

Have you raised a ticket? As tickets IME first tend to be skim-read by an automaton that sends a stock response, you may have to use short words and repeat them often.

regards

Stuart
N/A

Changing phone numbers

Have you raised a ticket? As tickets IME first tend to be skim-read by an automaton that sends a stock response, you may have to use short words and repeat them often.

Love it! :lol:

No, I haven't done that yet but I have spoken to BT in the meanwhile and they were (amazingly) helpful. It seems that it is no problem at all for them to cancel 228 and transfer that number to the 445 line.

The only problem then (correct me if I'm wrong) is to get PlusNet to recognise us on 228 rather than 445. Time for a ticket I think...

Terry
Ben_Brown
Grafter

Re: Changing phone numbers

1. Could we switch the fax to use the voice side of 445 and, hence discontinue 228 and save a BT line rental charge?

Yes, although some faxes can be problematic with ADSL, it would be worth testing this first if possible.

2. If we did that would there be any loss of quality on the fax and/or ADSL connections compared with the current situation?

See above.

You can get BT to change the phone number on the line, however you have to make it very clear to them that you don't want the ADSL service interrupted. You will just need to give us the new number when the work has been done by BT.
N/A

Changing phone numbers

Ben Brown:
Yes, although some faxes can be problematic with ADSL, it would be worth testing this first if possible.

That should be easy enough as the two connections are right next to each other.

Ben Brown:
You can get BT to change the phone number on the line, however you have to make it very clear to them that you don't want the ADSL service interrupted. You will just need to give us the new number when the work has been done by BT.

What's the easiest way of contacting you to make the change, Ben? It's a sign of how few problems we have with PlusNet that I can never remember how to get to 'Tickets'!

Terry
Ben_Brown
Grafter

Changing phone numbers

You can either raise a ticket at http://contactus.plus.net/ or give us a ring on 0845 1400 200.