cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing password

Wordsmith
Grafter

Changing password

Having discovered that someone unknown has been placing inappropriate files on my webspace, I rang PlusNet Customer Service on Tuesday evening (11th) and explained the situation.
A very helpful young man rang me back and said that he was unable to delete them and to go ahead and change my password but then said this facility wasn't working and to do it the following morning. (Wed).
Having no luck on Wednesday morning, I made further contact via a question to the Support Team asking when they thought THIS issue would be resolved. I'm still waiting for a response and I'm still unable to change my password.

I'm unhappy that someone unknown is able to hack into my site and that I can do nothing about it. Has anyone any constructive advice they can offer please?
9 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Changing password

I am not aware that there is a problem with the password change system There have not been any other reports about this.

What happens when you try and change your password?

ALso CS should be able to remove any files within your webspace so them saying they can't be removed is just plain wrong. If CS can't remove then then who can?

Also are you refering to your ccgi webspace or your www webspace where the files are appearing. I ask because changing your password via the portal does not change your ccgi password (only your postal, FTP to www spbspace and default email password). You have to do that manually via the cshell using the command passwd.

Note: some password changes can take up to 24 hours to be applied.
Wordsmith
Grafter

Changing password

Hi Peter
Thanks for your response. I have now managed to change the password (partly my fault although I was told the system was down on Tuesday evening)
I've changed it on the portal, on my email and on my ftp but I don't know what you mean by CGI.
Also, I don't know how to go about deleting these files.
He couldn't do it because every time he deleted them, they were simply popping up again - he thought it was probably an automatic response somewhere.
I'm talking about my WWW space on the Web. I should tell you that nothing was showing at all when I viewed webspace allocation in My Account
I'm not a complete novice but I'm learning all the time so forgive me if I'm not au fait with everything.
Helen
N/A

Changing password

when you login to your CCGI shell, type in passwd
You will then be prompted to enter your current password and then your new password twice for confirmation.
Community Veteran

Changing password

Once you have confirmed your password has been changed, run your FTP program and try and delete the files yourself. If you can't (due to permission problems), raise a question, explain what is happening, say you have now changed your password and detail what files you was CS to remove.

If they appear again, ask CS to investigate why they are appearing as you don;t think it is anything you are doing.
Wordsmith
Grafter

Changing password

Thanks to both of you but I have no idea what a CGI shell is. I've changed the password on the portal, email,ftp and router - do I really need to do anything else?

I've now received a message from CS so have messaged them back to ask them to delete the files.

(I'm still getting to grips with this ftp thing btw) Shocked)
Community Veteran

Changing password

If you have no idea what the CGI shell is then you are obviosly not using it and don't need to worry about it Smiley
Wordsmith
Grafter

Changing password

Thanks to everyone who's helped here.

One further question please?

I've managed to delete the files via the ftp but when I log on to my WWW space it's still showing a 'Parent Directory' created on 12th April 2005 - not by me.

I can't seem to delete that - permisssion denied - does this mean the hacker can still access my webspace?
N/A

Changing password

no -that's normal. It's just the very top level of your site and you can't delete / go above it. As long as your password has been changed then you should be OK now.
Wordsmith
Grafter

Changing password

Once again - many thanks to all
Helen Smiley