cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing my target SNR..

N/A

Changing my target SNR..

ever since having max, my default SNR set by BT appears to be 6dB. But in the evening, when there seems to be more noise around, there is not enough margin left for the router to play with so it re-syncs. I believe the next step is 9dB, which I think will be ideal. Is there anyway I can get plusnet to tell BT to change it to this? Im using a NetGear DG834G and there is no way to set a target SNR on the CPE Sad
36 REPLIES
tumnus
Grafter

Changing my target SNR..

I would like to know this too as I have the same problem as do many others it seems...
N/A

Changing my target SNR..

I'm on day 3 of my 10 day maxdsl period (new ISP). My router is syncing at 7200+ kbps and am getting an SNR of 2.0. This is fine in the day but at night i'm getting disconnected every minute or 2 (no joke).
N/A

Changing my target SNR..

I am also experiencing similar things - router sync at 6Mb - with an SNR of between 6-8db - speedtest showing a download of only 3.4Mbps - then gradually I lose my connection over a period of time which I assume is due to the SNR lowering below 6db during the connected period.

Surely if the MSR were set correctly - then it should be more stable with less disconnects & an allowance given for a small amount of noise impacting on the SNR?
N/A

Changing my target SNR..

I can change the target SNR on my DG834GT so that it is higher than 6dB.

After switching into debug mode, you telnet to the router and execute
/usr/sbin/adslctl configure --snr <xx>

For me, 100 resulted in an SNR on the line of around 7db with an actual sync speed of 7200kbps. Changing the value to 200, resulted in an SNR around 12.8 with an actual sync speed of 5700kbps.

The change in sync speed confirms to me that this is working.

THIS DOES NOT WORK ON A DG834G.......
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Changing my target SNR..

THIS DOES NOT WORK ON A DG834G.......

So it won't work on a DG834 either Evil
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
N/A

Changing my target SNR..

So it won't work on a DG834 either Evil

No, the DG834 doesn't include the adslctl command. I've posted a question on the Netgear forum to ask if there's any way to do it with this model, but so far there's been no response.

Eric
NewtonGauss
Grafter

Changing my target SNR..

Exactly the same problem here!

Alex Balfour
NewtonGauss
Grafter

Changing my target SNR..

There may be a relatively cheap (around £20) solution using a Speedtouch router and the German freeware DMT program. See the thread:

http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=dslrouter&page=1&view=expanded&sb=5&o=0

I'm going to try it out.

Alex Balfour
Lorian
Grafter

Changing my target SNR..

If you have a Draytek Vigor there is a campaign to get a Maximum Sync Rate feature added:

http://www.forum.draytek.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=7641
N/A

Changing my target SNR..

this would be excellent, and would solve alot of people's problems with maxdsl
N/A

Changing my target SNR..

Erm edited as my prob seems to of fixed itself :lol:

my bad
N/A

Changing my target SNR..

I think this is the root of the problem with MaxDSL...I have watched my router stats tonight. When the line first syncs, the SNR margin always seems to be 6db, and then it finds the sync speed at 6db. If you watch the margin it will fluctuate anywhere from 6db down to 0db. When it hits 0db the line drops. If there was a way to force the router to have a minimum of say a 10db margin before it syncs then you might have enough leeway to avoid line drops? I think 6db is too small a noise margin.

It would help if Plusnet got their finger out and spoke to BT, instead of posting cr*p on tickets like "replace your filters" as a stock answer all the time.
Community Veteran

Changing my target SNR..

I have been saying the same for a few days now, will take a little while to reach a citical mass of like minded/troubled people to get PN/BT to listen to our woes.

Smiley

SW
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
N/A

Changing my target SNR..

The thing is, you can actually "force" an increase of the target SNR recorded for your line by purposely disconnecting / reconnecting your modem. But I don't want to do this incase interleaving comes on.