cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing Primary Email Address

N/A

I have a need/desire to change my primary email address and would like to remain with Plusnet as I am generally very happy with the service I have received during the three years I have been a customer. When I first joined, it was done is something of a rush and I have to confess now that I didn't really give too much consideration to what my email address would be and have for some time regretted the choice I made.

I have searched the portal for information on the mechanics of achieving my aim, but apart from setting up and changing additional mailboxes, I can't see anything helpful.

My fear is that if I wish to change my primary email address, I would need to re-register as a brand new customer, which clearly would have some drawbacks I would have thought?

I would be grateful if anyone could shed some light on whether or not my objective could be achieved, ideally painlessly and if so, how.

Many thanks in advance.
16 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Have you taken up the free domain? If not, why not register a .me.uk domain. If you subsequently leave Plusnet you would be able to take your email address with you.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Mand
Grafter

You could always set up a domain. This can be anythingyoulike.co.uk meaning that you have complete control over your email address without having to change your entire account.
N/A

Sensible idea, many thanks. I'm not conversant with this field though, so would anyone have a link to a "Noddy's Guide" to how to do this, where is best to go to get a domain, how much they cost, recommendations etc?

I also presume from the replies that the simple step of changing my PN primary username/email is not possible?
Community Veteran

It's like fastest finger first on Millionaire!
Mand
Grafter

You have opted for a £1 .co.uk domain on your account.

This means you can have any .co.uk domain (obviously provided it is not already registered) and it will be renewed and hosted as part of your package.

All you need to do is log into the portal (right now may not be the best time) and select the domain names tab down the left hand side.

Enter the required domain and follow the instructions. In around 48 hours you will have an active domain.

As has been previously said this is the easiest way to keep your required email address as you will be able to take it with you should you leave.
N/A

Getting a domain from a totally different supplier, would surely be an even better option, considering you might leave here (because isn't there a fee to move the domain out of PN if it's under a certain number of months old?)

I'd suggest registering a .co.uk with someone like 123-reg.co.uk for less than £7 for 2 years, and that gives you the same ability to forward email @yourdomain to any email address you want.
N/A

Thanks again for the fast and courteous responses. Much appreciated, I'll have a look later and hopefully it's as straightforward as you suggest, it needs to be, I'm not the sharpest tool in the box when it comes to these issues. Shockedops:
Community Veteran

Why do people keep pushing .co.uk for personal use when .me.uk cost exactly the same and it's what they were intended for?
Mand
Grafter

A .me.uk will be treated in the same way as a .co.uk domain. When registering a domain for personal use you have the choice of the two.
csogilvie
Grafter

Getting a domain from a totally different supplier, would surely be an even better option, considering you might leave here (because isn't there a fee to move the domain out of PN if it's under a certain number of months old?)
If you move it out under a year, yep.

In the grand scheme of things, you're still cheaper registerting it elsewhere for £8 for 2 years (or whatever it is these days) rather than paying £1 extra to PlusNet every month.
Mand
Grafter

The suggestion was made as the OP stated they wanted something which was dead easy to implement, they have already selected the option on their account and so can sort this from the portal. As a side note it is automatically pointed to our webspace and mailboxes.

Alternatively all you need to do is register a domain anywhere and point it to our servers. Smiley
csogilvie
Grafter

I'm scottish - I always go for the cheaper option Tongue
N/A

Unless I have misunderstood the OP message, wouldn't a free PAYG account work, where a new (better Wink ) usename can be selected and be used for email purposes?
Of course a separately registered domain name is fine too...
Community Veteran

It would - but you wouldn't have the ability to move it elsewhere if you leave PN.