cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing Details

N/A

Changing Details

Tried help and support, but couldn't find what I was looking for. To cut a long story short. My boyfriend and I have split up and he wants to keep the computer and plusnet internet connection, would I be able to amend my details and put the account in his name? Also will he be able to get an email address? And what would happen to the email I have, as as soon as I find a permanent place of residence I want to sign up again through Plusnet and hopefully be able to keep my email. Hope I have not made this too complicated, and there will be an easy solution.

Regards
Helen Robertson
13 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Changing Details

Hi Helen,

Your email address is linked to the PlusNet account name - i.e. its something@helenrobertson.plus.com. When you sign-up again you won't be able to use the same account name as your ex will be using it. So the answer to the email Q is no, you can't keep you existing email address.

What you can do is when you are all setup again, ask your ex to put a redirect on your mailbox (Email Settings -> configure Mailboxes) to your new email address then tell everyone about your new email address.

The only way for you to keep the account is to use the move my broadband and transfer the ADSL connection to a new phone number (for which there is a cost of £47+VAT). Then your Ex will have to apply for a new ADSL connection on the current phone line.

You can change the details of the owner of the account by going to Account Details and then Edit Details. Credit card / Direct debit details can also be changed under Payment Details.

To change the email address used in the forums (i.e. for PM notifications etc) you have to PM a moderator with the new email address.
shellsong
Grafter

Changing Details

As I understand it your ex would inherit helenrobertson as the account name, which seems a little daft to me unless he's funny that way!

I would have thought that it should be possible for anyone except a jobsworth (as in "it's more than my...") to put the essentials of your account onto a dial up account anddd change the name of the ADSL account to the preference of your ex without dropping the connection via a "cease and reprovide"-- but maybe PlusNet have things engineered such that you have to take the stupid route :roll:
Community Veteran

Changing Details

The type of package you are on is directly linked to your username. If that usernames package were to change to a PAYGO account then a cease order would be put on the line for ADSL.

The only way to keep the name is to go through the Move my ADSL and your ex would have to apply for a new connection and be without ADSL for possible 2 or 3 weeks.
shellsong
Grafter

Changing Details

I bow to your superior knowledge, Peter, but as an ex engineer/physicist I still think it's a stupidly inflexible way to run a broadband service!
Community Veteran

Changing Details

as an ex engineer/physicist

I take it you are expressing your penchant for logic?

Sorry but that doesn't come into it! Tongue
Alecto
Grafter

Changing Details

So in summary, he can't keep your connection but change the name.

So unless he wants to be reminded of you for ever by using your name all the time , you'll need to cancel/move your connection and he'll have to apply for one of his own.

I suppose this is the benefit of having a non-specific name such as seventhstar, or shellwind. Might be something to think about for you next time if you don't transfer your current name.
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

Changing Details

Could she not sign up for a new account in his name, when she has a line to be activated, then just swap login details, and change address, phone number etc... with PlusNet. The only problem I could see with this is making sure PlusNet put a cease in on the correct line if at some point in the future one was to either cancel the account or move house.

Phil
Alecto
Grafter

Changing Details

Sounds an amazingly good idea phil.
N/A

Changing Details

Thanks everyone for your help
Alecto
Grafter

Changing Details

So Helen, tell us what you're going to do then. We can't wait to hear. :lol:
shellsong
Grafter

Changing Details

as an ex engineer/physicist

I take it you are expressing your penchant for logic?

Sorry but that doesn't come into it! Tongue

I realise the PN way seems to fly in the face of logic but somewhere behind the facade has to be a logical engineering interface no matter how the human interaction with it gets abused! :roll: :lol:
N/A

Changing Details

I've decided my boyfriend can keep my name,but I am still having trouble trying to put his details through direct debit. He has a Maestro Card, it has a code number (6 numbers) and the 16 digit number, so it won't go through direct debit and it is not a credit card, so I don't know what to do?
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

Changing Details

i don't think Maestro cards can be used for continuing authorisation. They can only be used for one off payments.

Phil