cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing BT Line into another name.

N/A

Hi, I cant find anywhere on the plus net site to raise this question to the support team. So im going to ask here, because plus net may not even need to do anything.

I phoned BT up last night to change my phone line into my girlfriends name. Its a long story as to why but it needed doing due to direct debits being tangled up (I have my name against a few other BT lines).
In order for BT to change the name and direct debit for my phone line, they have to stop the line and start it again in my partners name. they told me to inform my broadband provider. This will be happening on April 5th.

Do plus net need to do anything? The phone number is staying the same.
19 REPLIES
James
Grafter

A change in name will result in a PSTN cease order being placed. This means that your Broadband service will be cancelled.

It's one of the most annoying things that BT do, which we have practically no control over at all.
N/A

I've heard reports in the past of the broadband service being terminated, and a new activation fee levied when somebody else was in a similar situation.

I'd be interested to know if this still happens/is still a risk, because its a real pain (some may say con too on BT's behalf)
N/A

Thanks James so what do I do? I need my broadband to carry on working! And im not paying activation /cancellation charge, all ive done is changed the owner of the line. Why do they have to cease the thing and start it again?
James
Grafter

When you change the name of the bill payer on your line, BT stop and start all services on your telephone line. For everything apart from broadband, this isn't an issue. Unfortunately the reactivation charges on broadband aren't the cheapest.

When did you make the change?
N/A

James i did it yesterday with a weeks notice period. So BT will do the line cease on March 12th.
The reason for doing it is that I have my name against the BT line at my mothers house, with the direct debit for that coming out of my mums account. When i started this line they just tagged this line onto the same account, so my mother is paying my phone bill and Im manually forwarding her the difference. BT cant do two direct debits one for my line one for hers. So the only way to sort it out is to put my line in my partners name - which I now wish we had done to start with.

I just dont understand why BT have to cease the line. Im just transferring owner of it, from one person in the house hold to another.

So what do I do to get the internet back as soon as?
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,

You would need to raise a ticket, and we would cease your old service (which takes 5-7 days) and then reprovide it when BT have made the changes.

There is a charge of £52.88 to do this, which you can either pay upfront or make an admin payment of £5.88 and defer the rest for 12 months. Should you wish to cancel within this time the fee would become payable.

Hope that clears things up for you, it's a pain yeah but so far I've not heard of a way around it (apart from lucky people who have managed to persuade BT to not cease the line Smiley but they are few)
James
Grafter

I've just had a chat with one of our provisioning guys. We can ask BT to cancel a PSTN cease is there is justification for the change in name on the BT bill.

We cannot guarantee being able to get the cease cancelled, but we can try and as such, I would suggest that you raise a ticket stating your reasons for why you have changed the name on the bill once you have made the change and we'll raise it with BT for you.
N/A

This is too much of a hassle and expensive. I will cancel the order with BT. I cant manage without the net for two weeks whilst its all cancelled and re-activated. If they had told me this was the case when i put it through I wouldnt have bothered. If you could speak with BT on my behalf I would be greatful.
James
Grafter

If you're not going to be changing the name on the BT Bill, then there isn't actually anything for us to talk to BT about. I appreciate it's a pain and it's something that they've always done. I'm amased that they're still doing it!
N/A

Yeah dont worry thanks James. Im on the phone to BT now to cancel it all. I know its not your fault. Im shocked their still doing it as well. If i was changing the name on my electric or gas, they dont send an engineer round to chop the house off from the supply and then reconnect it back up do they? Its a stupid practice and its the customers thats paying for it.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I've seen this come up before on ThinkBroadband and I'm sure Andrew has said it should be possible to stop the cease.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
N/A

Just had a brainwave. If i stop the cease with BT, and sign up to Plus Net Home phone, can i get my line transferred over to plus nets phone service without any interruption to ADSL? The line can still be in my name and the bill can come out of my bank account rather than my mothers.
Mand
Grafter

Yep, shouldn't be a problem with that. Just make sure the cease has definitely been cancelled and then transfer the line via the portal.

Takes around 10 days to transfer, and may even save you some money. Smiley
N/A

Amazing isnt it, you can change your entire line over to another provider without it upsetting the broadband, but you cant simply change the owner of the line within BT without them screwing the lot up.

So thats my plan of action, i'll sit on hold for BT for about 45 minutes again get passed from one department to another and eventually after an hour i'll get the order cancelled and then i`ll sign up through the portal.