cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changes to mail settings not getting picked up?

mcgerard
Grafter

When the spam started I was getting spam to my username@username.plus.com and to one other alias myname@username.plus.com.

I took the following actions:

1) Raised a ticket to blackhole the username@username address. I got confirmation this had been done. I closed the ticket only to find spam was still coming through. I had to raise another ticket and got another confirmation yet mail still comes to username@username.

2) I put a re-direct on the affected alias to an outside address where spam is held and not downloaded. This worked OK. But when PlusNet brought in the spam folder facility I reverted to directing the alias to my (new) PlusNet postbox. But the mail is still getting sent to the outside address.

My question is: Are changes to email settings getting picked up properly by the system?
14 REPLIES
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,

There are no redirects to external addresses on your account at present, so the mail should go to your PlusNet mailbox.

I've just refreshed your mail component and sent you a test email, can you let me know which address it arrives to please?
swl
Dabbler

In my experience blackholing of username@username.plus.com does not work.

I raised a ticket to have dunstanburgh@dunstanburgh blackholed, and twice I was told by CSC that it had been done. But emails (spam!) kept coming through to that address (and I proved it by sending a test email.) I gave up eventually.

Mand, if you're still around, I'd still like my username@ blackholed - properly! (Was ticket no. 21916522 - now closed.)
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,

In your case the reason it didn't work is you have no other mailboxes on your account.

In order to keep the catch all and blackhole username@ you would need to setup another mailbox, and make it the default. Then raise a request asking for username@ to be blackholed.

Apologies that this was not picked up when you raised the original ticket.
swl
Dabbler

Hello Mand,

Thank you for your quick reply. Your explanation brings me back full circle to the original request in my ticket: to create a mailbox "postmaster", make that the default and to blackhole dunstanburgh@. I can't create the mailbox "postmaster" because there's an existing alias of that name that can't delete, hence my ticket asking it to be done for me.

If you have a mo, could you delete the postmaster alias, please? I'll take it from there.

Thanks
Steve
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,

I can't delete the postmaster alias unfortunately. I can get this done for you manually tomorrow if you wish.

Alternatively you can setup a mailbox named something else and direct postmaster mail to it as a workaround, enabling the username@ to be blackholed.
lingbob
Grafter

From what I've read in other threads, I think you need to turn catch-all on temporarily and then you'll be able to delete the postmaster alias. Once you've done that, create a postmaster mailbox and then turn catch-all off. Then raise a ticket to have your username@ blackholed. Please correct me anyone if I'm wrong.
N/A

If I recall correctly the work around for this is temporarily switching on the catch-all, automatically disabling the postmaster alias, and allowing you to create the mailbox yourself. At that point you can switch the catch-all mailbox off again.

Let us know how you get on.

[Edit- I must learn to type faster]
swl
Dabbler

lestones & bitbox: thank you for your suggestions. My Catch All is on, but I don't have an "edit/delete" control next to the postmaster alias, so I can't delete it. However, I'll have a fiddle and let you know.

Mand: I'll try your suggestion too, and come back to you if needed. Thanks for your help. You're now on my Xmas card list!

clevelands: sorry I've hijacked your thread! I hope all this helps sort your issue. Cheesy

Rgds
Steve
mcgerard
Grafter

There are no redirects to external addresses on your account at present, so the mail should go to your PlusNet mailbox.

I've just refreshed your mail component and sent you a test email, can you let me know which address it arrives to please?

Thanks for the reply - I don't see any re-directs to external addresses either when I go to "Manage my Mail" yet the copy of the internal MailDB sent with the reply to the ticket shows both a re-direct to an external address and an alias for myname@username.plus.com.

And your test email was still re-directed via the external address.
Mand
Grafter

Hi

Your ticket is now with our networks team to resolve the issues with the redirects.

Apologies for the delay in getting this sorted for you.
N/A

I've had a go at tackling the postmaster problem. Switching our catch-all back on neither removed or allowed editing of the postmaster alias, as dunstanburgh reported. Similarly, as this alias is still present, you are unable to create a postmaster mailbox.

As a work around I have successfully created a postmaster redirect to an internal address and this was delivered to this address as opposed to the default (as specified by the alias).

Therefore, if you create another mailbox, you should then be able to create a postmaster redirect to it. Not sure if this will allow your default mailbox to be blackholed or not.

The prioritisation of redirects over aliases has been reported by other forum users in the past, so credit to them for this solution.
br1anstorm
Grafter

aaargh!

I'm sure this is well-intentioned. But how many of the tens of thousands of PlusNet users, and spam victims, do you think will (a) be able to understand, and (b) be able to implement successfully, this convoluted arrangement?

Once again - K.I.S.S!

holmside33
swl
Dabbler

Mand,

I'm going round in circles again!

I did as you suggested, created a mailbox called "postmastermailbox", made it the Catch All and raised a ticket to have dunstanburgh@ blackholed. CSC replied (quite quickly) that it had been done for me. But it hasn't. Emails to dunstanburgh@ still get through. What has happened is that my Catch All has been changed back to dunstanburgh@ and the Catch All turned off. Obviously, this doesn't blackhole dunstanburgh@.

Please help! Ticket no. 22014318

Thanks
Steve
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,

I've asked one of our senior agents to take a look at this as I'm not in the office at the moment. Should be sorted for you soon, but be sure to let me know if you have any further problems.