cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changes to MX records

N/A

Changes to MX records

Hi everyone,

I installed Exchange 2003 yesterday and accessed the account area to change my delivery method to smtp, which worked fine for my domain.plus.com addresses. I have followed the instructions in help assistant to create an additional MX record(at priority 5)for my hosted domains to point to mail.domain.plus.com but this doesn't seem to have changed anything, even after waiting for a day.

Nslookup using ns1.force9.net shows that the MX for my hosted domains still point to mail.plus.net

Am I just being impatient or is there a problem here?
9 REPLIES
N/A

Changes to MX records

I assuming that you both your plusnet emails (anyservices.plus.com) and your domain emails to go to Exchange server on you static IP? If this is the case then you have seleted smtp delivery for anyservices.plus.com in the email settings. For you domain you need to go to the domain settings and select the domain and you will then see the option for smtp delivery to your static ip. Changes can take several hours.
N/A

Changes to MX records

Your assumptions are correct pchambers.

Mail to anyservice.plus.com is being directed to my exchange ip as expected. It's my other domains that aren't working. If I send a mail to user@anyservicebureau.co.uk I get a bounce telling me there may be a mail loop.

I followed the instructions in Help Assistant, which said to choose "other" in domain mail settings and the add an MX record with a priority of 5 pointing to my mail server at mail.anyservice.plus.com. Maybe this is my mistake. I will change this from "other" to "smtp" as you explained and see what happens.
N/A

Changes to MX records

If you have set up an A record for mail (mail.anyservices.co.uk) it's probably a good idea to remove this as selecting smtp delivery will generate this automatically.
N/A

Changes to MX records

I didn't set up an A record, but nslookup reports mail.anyservicebureau.com is an alias of mail.plus.net

Previously I was using POP3 to collect my domain mail and using redirects. Do I need to delete these old redirects?
N/A

Changes to MX records

ahh that where the problem is you need mail.anyservices.co.uk to point to your static address. Selecting smtp will do this for you.
N/A

Changes to MX records

Redirects should not need changinge as these are now redundant. Assuming that these are on PN mail servers as after the DNS have been updated all mail will go straight to your server.
N/A

Changes to MX records

Ok, I've now made those changes. Just a case of waiting a few hours to see if it's fixed.

Thanks for your help!
N/A

Changes to MX records

It's been a day now since I made the changes and the mx records for all my domains are still pointing to mail.plus.net!

The whole point of me doing this at the weekend was so that dns would be propogated by the time Monday morning arrived.

Changing the domain mx on the website doesn't seeme to do anything!
N/A

Changes to MX records

Just got a reply from tech support confirming a problem with my dns records which they will now fix.

Thanks tech support!