cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changes to Connect Lite User

N/A

I am furious about the proposed changes to Connect Lite User. Not only do they put the price up (after a couple of weeks of exceptionally bad service, no less) but they also impose a 1 hour cut-off!

Last night, as an example, I had to download a 16Mb file via http. This is fairly unusual for me, but it does happen. Unfortunately my modem is stuck on a poor quality DACS line so I never get more than about 3.5 K a second downloads. I simply could not download such a file in an hour. One of the reasons I choose Plus.net was because of this lack of cut off on active links - most ISPs have (or had when I last looked) a 2 hour cut off.

Plus.net are now worse than those and have the gall to push the price up at the same time.

If you must push the price up, Plus.net, then you push the price up. But lose this nasty and limiting 1 hour cut off or lose me and, I suspect, quite a few others.

Yours disgustedly,
Adam J Purcell
115 REPLIES
N/A

Where is this reduction in service and increase in price being proposed? I haven't seen anything, and it does surprise me because Lite customers would leave PlusNet in droves ... although that may be the very effect that PlusNet wants (either that, or they want to "persuade" LIte users to go to the more expensive tarriff).
N/A

They sent me an email at 01:51 this morning. Here's an excerpt:

* We’re making changes to Connect Lite User *

As a valued customer of ‘Connect Lite User’, you enjoy the freedom to connect at whatever time of day you like, without having to wait for the evening or weekend ‘cheap rate’. It’s great value for money.

However, from time to time during peak periods, you may have experienced engaged tones when trying to connect. Earlier this year we began a program of improvements to the way that we manage our unmetered services, which has gone some way to reducing this inconvenience.

As part of our ongoing commitment to improving our services for all of our customers, and in order to increase available capacity during peak times, we are making further changes to Connect Lite User.

The total number of access ports will be increased to levels above design capacity at peak periods, in order to reduce the number of engaged tones. As a result of this, monthly subscription will rise to £9.99. In an additional move to reduce congestion at busy times, a 1-hour cut-off will be introduced to this service, with reconnection remaining unrestricted.

If you have any more questions about the changes to Connect Lite User, please read the FAQ page.

These changes will come into effect from September 18th 2003.

Of course when they say "you may have experienced engaged tones when trying to connect" they fail to say this appears, in large part, to be due to a problem with their Authentication system which has caused me to have to try several answered dials before I can actually connect. If I were a conspiracy theorist I might make a connection between their recent problems and their plans for Connect Lite...

I also wonder how much the school holidays have impacted things, too.

If we upgrade to the £14.99 a month package then we won't get cut-offs, apparently - at least until they decide to put the price up of that too...

Absolutely outrageous.
N/A

I agree. I'm quite furious about this and will think about taking my business elsewhere. I can't believe they'd think people wouldn't mind paying more money for an inferior service.
N/A

I'm also deeply unimpressed by this. Price and no-cut off were the reasons I came to plus net, now those are precisely the things that are being changed.

A price hike I might consider accepting but the two together?!, particularly after the dire problems with connection and authentication over the past couple of weeks.
N/A

Evil I am completely peaved that plusnt have ;

1.Jacked up the price AGAIN
2. IMPOSED a one hour cut off

what use is to plusnet customers?

answer = no flaming use.

I have asked the question about downgrading the account to a pay as you go
dial up - If & when they do this I will go to another ISP that gives a toss about keeping their longer serving customer.

"PLUSNET - the smarter way to internet"

Jim
N/A

Drop the 1 hour cut off or you will lose valuable customers!!

Absolutely ridiculous
N/A

I suppose they want to reduce the disincentive to move to ADSL because of the price difference.

But why the 1 hour cut-off? I makes an otherwise good-value product (even at £9.99) useless. What is the point of a connection package that doesn't let you use Windows Update :?:
N/A

Connect Lite

I agree. I was most unimpressed when I received the email. Either PlusNet change their minds about this, or I shall be looking for another ISP (and I'm sure I won't be the only one).

What's the point in upping the price, then downgrading the type of service we received?? Makes no sense to me.
N/A

Plusnet plse respond

I'm not happy about these changes at all.
Pay more for a reduced service ?

Can somebody from Plusnet please confim when the 1 hr cut off is to be introduced ? - if it is the 18th Sept as suggested, then I would like to cancel my account immediately, without the notice period as I do not agree with the changes to the terms and conditions.

Please respond here ASAP and let us know if you still expect me to pay you a further month for conditions that don't agree to and don't want.
Lolaan
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I did receive that email about those changes. It is very nice of them to deal with the connection problems that we've experienced for quite some time now,especially as so many people seemed to complaint about it, and if that means an increase in the price, as long as the problems are solved, that's fine by me. But I had a real shock when I read that there will be a 1 hour cut off!
I don't see the point of that. As for reminding us of the fact that we can connect at any time of day and night, instead of those evenings and weekends packages that you will find with many other isps, I'd say that was one thing that made me sign up with plusnet. And why 1 hour cut off, and not 2hours, like many other isps? What if you want to occasionally download an big file during those extra free hours after midnight, and the downloading take more than 1hour, will you need to stand by to reconnect?
I find it personally a bit unfair to install such limitation onto the connect lite package, and make it stand out from the other packages. We pay less because we have less hours to connect, and that should be the only difference between them.
N/A

Re: Plusnet plse respond

Please respond here ASAP and let us know if you still expect me to pay you a further month for conditions that don't agree to and don't want.

For such official responces, you should use the link:contact us system.

This question is account specific and +Net will not go into details regarding that on the forums (legal issues).
N/A

Putting aside, if I may, for a moment the authentication issues affecting the Connect service this week (which have now, I am pleased to say, been resolved), the changes being made to Connect Lite User are designed as a resolution to the congestion during the hours of 3pm-9pm.

We have made a number of improvements to the Connect platform during this year. We introduced free Night Time access, reduced the contention of Connect Lite User from 20:1 to 15:1, introduced dedicated access numbers for each of the services and increased overall port capacity. These have gone some way to improving the levels of service we provide, however we still find that demand during the busy times (generally 3pm-9pm) is disproportionate to the platform design.

The increased subscription will pay for the increased capacity needed to deliver quality of service during these busy periods.

Other ISPs generally set their subscription for unmetered access at the £15 mark - those customers not using the Internet as much as others effectively subsidise the heavier users. As you know PlusNet provide a range of unmetered services tailored to the way you use it. Connect Lite User is an 'entry-level' product allowing 10 hours a week access that doesn't appear on your phone bill. For those customers wishing to stay online for more lengthy periods, Connect Standard may be more appropriate.

The introduction of a 1-hour cut off is an unfortunate necessity, however we have to address the issue of connection during the time of highest demand. For occasional downloads of larger files for which you need to be connected for longer than an hour we suggest the use of download manager software such as GetRight. Or if you find that you connect regularly for longer than an hour at a time, you might consider moving to Connect Standard.
N/A

For occasional downloads of larger files for which you need to be connected for longer than an hour we suggest the use of download manager software such as GetRight.

Such programs are no use whatsoever for the necessity of Windows Update and, as I use, Red Hat Network.

Or if you find that you connect regularly for longer than an hour at a time, you might consider moving to Connect Standard.

I use on average about 7 hours a week but some of that may well be a kernel update of 16Mb or so, taking just over an hour on my crappy phone line. Because of that I should have to pay as if I were wanting to use 20-40 hours a week?! That is not only unreasonable but totally offensive.
N/A

Putting aside the fact that the authentication problems have NOT been resolved (at least I am continuing, as of 1230 on 5th Sept, to have to redial dozens of times in order to have PlusNet respond and accept my ID/password), the response from PlusNet is an absolute crock.

While it was getting fairly obvious that PlusNet had grossly misjudged the pricing model for the Connect Lite service, the new model of increasing the cost and having a 1-hour limit is utter nonsense, and will effectively push this product out of the market because nobody is going to want this service.

1-hour session limits are absolutely useless in this day and age, with many downloads taking well over an hour and not always being resumable. Even 2-hour limits are overly restrictive, and many ISPs lost business to PlusNet because of this limitation.

If PlusNet really do care for their customers, they will reconsider this very serious and commercially damaging decision. If they do not care a jot about their customers, then they'll simply come up with all sorts of self serving excuses. Or could it be the last throes of a dying man?

Why don't they simply put their hands up and say that the Connect Lite account simply isn't making them the money they want, and is generating too muck flak because of contention issues, and do away with it.