cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change of phone number....HELP!!!

N/A

My home number will be changing - what is the procedure I need to follow to transfer my broadband account?

I have a ticket open, but I am getting confused responses - basically telling me I need to use the 'Move Tool' which could potentially mean not having a connection for over two weeks!! which is why I want to clarify the situation...

The new home number is already active, it is currently the second (or work) number we have. I may be wrong, but I think the main line has been split at the master socket..

So their is NO moving of house
their is NO new line to activate
and we are NOT keeping the current number

This change of number doesn't appear to be covered by the 'Move Tool'!

If any one knows what I am talking about and has some answers, then please help me out

Thanks
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Hi there,

You can change your account details here

I am assuming that BT have just renumbered your line for you.
I was in a similar situation last year when I had to change my telephone number - BT changed the number but the ADSL stayed on as they didn't change the physical line, so I just carried on as usual and phoned the ISP and told them my number had changed.

If I am missing the point the please feel free to correct me.

If all else fails, drop Dave or James a PM and I'm sure the will be able to help you more.

Kind regards,

Roger.
N/A

Cheers Roger

I think my next move is to phone BT to find out exactly what changes they are going to make and then I can give that info to CS on my ticket.

If it is a case of simply updating my details then this will save me some money and maintain my connection!

Thanks again
holdtight
Grafter

Hi
If you follow This link you can add your new telephone number and make it the primary number for your account then remove your old one if you need to at the same time

Is this what you meant or am i way off and missed the point completely ?

Bill.
N/A

It doesn't really matter what the phone number is AFAIK -as long as the login on the account matches.
Community Veteran

@dslweb

Yes you are right in theory- but what happens when or if the OP decided to migrate away to another ISP?

It's going to be one hell of a rigmarole to get macs issued or cease and reprovides in place because phone numbers don't match on orders!

Just my two penneth worth.
Liam
Grafter

A simple renumber of a line doesn't usually affect the broadband connection - but I'd make sure that BT are aware you definately don't want this to be affected.

Quite often, if you're changing any of your account details with BT, however, then they place a cease order on the ADSL and this means downtime, and reactivation. Therefor incurring another reactivation charge or deferred charge on your account. A simple name change for the line ownership, for example, usually prompts this cease order.