cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change of Speed?

N/A

Change of Speed?

Hello, i am a new member having been with plus net for two weeks. Last week i had a speed of 6.7mb but this has gone down to 5.7? Why? Am i not paying for 8mb?
13 REPLIES
N/A

Change of Speed?

You pay for upto 8meg, it all depends on what your line supports
N/A

Change of Speed?

well last week it supported 6.7 and now 5.7? whos eaten my other 1mb
N/A

Change of Speed?

Could be noise on the line or a bad filter
N/A

Change of Speed?

how can you tell if you have noise on the line? is there a tester or can i tell from my router?
N/A

Change of Speed?

You will either hear it, when you pick up the phone or your router SNR or Noise Margin will tell you
N/A

Change of Speed?

means nothing to me? The line is noise free and the only info i get is this from the router..

Line Mode G.DMT Line State Show Time
Latency Type Interleave Line Up Time 03:18:59:37
Line Coding Trellis On Line Up Count 3

Statistics Downstream Upstream
Line Rate 5792 Kbps 448 Kbps
Noise Margin 9.1 dB 22.0 dB
Line Attenuation 15.5 dB 19.5 dB
Output Power 19.6 dBm 12.1 dBm

What does it mean
N/A

Change of Speed?

Its the noise margin you want to monitor, I suspect it may have been 6dB in the past and the BRAS profiles have changed you stable connection to be at about 9dB.

Monitor the Downstream nosie magin and see if this wanders.

Out of interest what router do you have?
N/A

Change of Speed?

whats a BRAS profile? the routers a voyager 2110. whats an unacceptable level? when do you say you have a problem on the line?
N/A

Change of Speed?

BRAS is the system in the exchange that monitors your line, to try and keep it stable.......

you should only get at most 1-2dB variation. I high noise margin is a good thing to have, low is bad.

But your attenuation looks good, so you should be able to run with a Noise Margin of 6.

Mine is stable at 12....when it works with a connection speed of 3600.

If my SNR goes to 4 I loose speed will sync at about 1800.

But today it has gone to rat shoite
N/A

Change of Speed?

sorry to sound like a right thicko but whats an snr? so more is better...

does the attenuation need to be high or low?
N/A

Change of Speed?

SNR = Signal to Noise Ratio, can be called Noise Margin also.

You want a Low Attenution, and high SNR. to Max your connection out
N/A

Change of Speed?

well last week it supported 6.7 and now 5.7? whos eaten my other 1mb

Well, I know how you feel. I was getting 5-6 mb consistently, now, after 6pm, I get 3.5mb. BUT, up until 6pm, I get 760kbs EXACTLY. Wow, plus really are being pathetic in admitting a problem, that isn't our fault.
N/A

Change of Speed?

The worse thing is that i have absolutely no idea what people are talking about. I thought i was buying a 8mb connection but it seems that its only upto...and then its contented, which i understand means its shared with upto 50 other people, then its managed by a program that sounds like in infections disease at Plusnet, add this to outages, some platforms. a few gateways, LLU, SNR and DSLmax's and you definitely get a higher ATB ratio (Alcohol to Broadband).

Am glad this doesn’t happen with the electric companies, can you imagine turning on the toilet light at 4am to find its shared with your next door neighbor!!