cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change SNR target on BT IPStream Max

N/A

I've noticed that, if I resync, the link will come up with either 9dB or 12dB margin. I have managed to get a resync to come up at 9dB during the quiet time of the day, so that I've now been at a constant 6720 kb/s since about 7 AM on 3rd August. The margin is varying between 5.5dB and 9 dB.

I sent in a load of data showing the SNR variation and asked for the target to be set to 6 dB, so that a resync durng the noisy periods isn't going to lead to a big drop in the line rate. The answer I got was:

It is not possible to manually set the margin as DSL Max is rate adaptive and the margin, speed etc will change regularly. If it is deemed that you can keep a stable connection at 6dB then it will connect at that.

My understanding had been that it is possible to have the target set from 6 dB upwards in 3 dB steps... so was I mistaken?
4 REPLIES
N/A

From the posts on there very forums, I'd say your right - both BT and Tiscali can set a target SNR for certain speeds, and it seems these can be altered, but by who is another thing.
James
Grafter

By default on IPStream the target margin will be set at 6dB. We can request it to be set higher if you are suffering from intermittent connectivity.
N/A

Thanks everyone Smiley At least it seems I wasn't too far from the truth Wink

James: I'll quote you on the ticket, if you don't mind, to check that I am on the 'default' 6dB - although one of my unanswered questions was:
4. What the target SNR margin for my line actually set to?
Possibly got missed, along with a few other points, because I put too much information in the ticket...
James
Grafter

It's 6dB on BT IPStream, 12dB on Tiscali LLU.